>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Movie Mashup (Challenge)

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Movie Mashup - "What If Pixar Did Back To The Future?" - Classicgamer-3DT

OK well it's been far too long since I did any real modelling. And I just couldn't resist this challenge so i'm going all out for this one.

The film i've chosen is Back To The Future Part II, it is by far one of my alltime favourite films and indeed trilogy's ever! The twist is i'm making it a Pixar/3D cartoon version.

What if Pixar did Back To The Future? well this is hopefully what i'll try to create.

I'm also hoping to create the following:

Cafe 80's Exterior
Cafe 80's Interior (but only viewable from the outside)
Marty McFly Character
Mattel Hoverboard
DeLorean DMC 12 parked outside the Cafe 80's
& a few surrounding buildings and video wall with Goldey Wilson III on etc.

The plan is to have the DeLorean, Cafe 80's in the background and Marty McFly flying off the hoverboard lol.

As always I will be modelling within Cinema 4D 11.5 using Advanced Render 3 for my renders, they'll be a little (but not much) post done in Adobe Photoshop for colour corrections and compositing etc. Texturing will be a mix of shaders, CGtextures.com and 3Dtotal texture CD's.

Reference pictures are from my Trilogy DVD boxset, strangely there's not a great deal of closeups or long shots on the buildings, but there's quite a few details that are the same from the 1955 Lou's Cafe aswell which i've captured to help with detailing.

The sketch in this references sheet is not mine it's from deviantart by a much more talented artist going by the name of scoundreldaze.

Here's my awful concept sketch......as you can tell it's been some time since I sketched!

I hope to update this thread later on today with something blocked out or modelled. Not quite sure what to start yet, the set, the car or the character I hope I can deliver

Kind Regards

CG.
Attached Images

Twitter

Last edited by ClassicGamer-3DT; 04-06-2010 at 10:50 AM..
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Oh wow cool idea! Loving the title you've created, I like how you;ve matched the Pixar logo with the same style as the BTTF one I'm looking forward to seeing the Pixar style adopted to BBTF

Cool.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
good idea.
good luck
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
Cool idea Classic!
I suggest you stylize your Pixar McFly a bit more though.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Cheers guys, DD I thought about trying to make my Marty look like Michael J Fox so a little Pixar....a little caricature..... a little cartoon 3D style....we'll see. But i've no idea really as my success with organics/characters hasn't been great...but this is what these challnges are all about, testing your might as it were and trying new things. I've already built a Hoverboard before as a test, I will be starting from scratch all over again
Twitter
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
cool idea, really looking forward to seeing how you tackle this one.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
cheers matey
Twitter
Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
First steps.....

Righto, here's what i've got so far, thought I'd start with what i'm most comfortable with first which is buildings, so here's my start on the Cafe 80's. Fairly happy with the start of this so far, hope to update more later today or tommorow.

About 2 1/2 hours work here so far.

Kind Regards

CG.
Twitter

Last edited by ClassicGamer-3DT; 04-06-2010 at 03:45 PM..
Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
VersionThirst
Falling with Style

Send a message via AIM to VersionThirst
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: First place in the thai monastery photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Won 2nd in the 'Tomb' Low Poly weekly photo modeling challenge. Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Won 2nd in the 'Bench' Low Poly weekly photo modeling challenge. Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge ''goofy gun'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Won third place for the low-poly undead rockstar comp 
Total Awards: 8
Looking really good so far.

One issue I could see coming up with the judges; the challenge is 'Movie Mashup' - to match up two movies. Back to the Future is one movie, but Pixar isn't a movie.

Pixar has made many movies and each has a little different style than the next. I think for this to work, you'd need to choose one Pixar movie and base your character and scene style on that particular movie.

I've made a quick sheet of Pixar humans from different movies; you can see that there are some similarities between characters, but there are many different styles.
Attached Images

VersionThirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Good point, the style i'm going for is Disney Pixar's Up style, the style isn't all that cartoony with exception to the characters, it's basically going to be slightly realistic modelling but shaded and textured in a 3D cartoony style similar to that of Up.

In other words I won't be having over the top stylisations, the building will look similar to that in the reference images but brighter and more colourful if you get my meaning If you take the old's guy's house in Up it looks like a real house but it's textured and coloured in a vibrant style.
Twitter
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Good start, nice overall wireframes and detailing
Old 04-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Very clean start, keep it up.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Up To The Future...

Quite a poignant title really, as everything thing is decided by the future.

Back To The Up... Sounds like an Eminem album title, skip it
The Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Neat modeling. Good to see some stuff from you

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
diggin the style of u're modelling so far CG, love the theme u selected as well.
definitly one of the best movies of all time back to the future, that is.