>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > CG News > Latest Headlines

Old 22-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #16
DJdude
noobster

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
i agree with avatar. All the games I play are ridiculed by my roommates because their bad graphic flash games. it doesn't matter as long as its fun. I won't say much about all those mmporg games( or however its spelt ) because there all a HUGE waste of time. I once got into one of them for about two months and didn't do a thing else. My dad, who was into it himself, finally banned the game after realizing what a huge waste of time it was. Now the most I play are some short flash rpg's.
Old 22-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Poker
Poker

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: Won on Speed Animation challanges ''Wrestling Move'' Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Silver: 2nd Place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place on Speed Animation challanges 'Fishing' 
Total Awards: 4
I really don't know how they keep on overdoing the last cinematic. I thought the Starcraft cinematic was one of a kind, but this one definitely reaches the same level of detail.

Cinematics and specific Blizzards cinematics was what pulled me into CGI.

www.3dinwales.blogspot.com
Poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
Identity3d

As always blizzard have done it one again in this cinematic. The landscape of ice and snow looking just amazing i know many people think the game graphics are not great but the do give you the feeling that you are in a fantasy world. I give this 5 Stars.
Identity3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddity View Post
That's not true any more, realtime graphics have reached a stage where it is actually possible to make great looking cinematics where it actually looks the same or close to it in the real game.
My point is that there is such a ridiculous difference between this trailer and the actual in-game graphics, I don't know how they get away with it.
As for the trailer itself, it's nothing but a typical dose of clichéd rpg nonsense.
I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
Daye
aka Nehumanuscrede

Send a message via Yahoo to Daye
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 27 - Air Fresheners - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 28 - Juke Box - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Seriously.

Blizzard built the game with two things in mind.

1) They wanted that style of graphics
2) To appeal to a much larger audience

Yes. They can make the game the most amazing visual representation
ever to grace a computer screen. However, the majority of users are
not going to spend several thousand dollars on a gaming rig to run it.

The majority doesn't spend $600+ USD on a new graphics board. They
don't care about overclocking, what timings their RAM is running on and
will never understand what Raid 0 / Raid 1 even is.

That being said, you can liken it to the difference between a Ferrari and
a normal car. Yeah the Ferrari is a great kick in the pants but, your market
is limited to only those who can afford it. Why sell ten cars at $100k when
you can sell ten thousand at $25k ?

Why not sell both you ask ?

Because then you have to support both which makes the job all that much
more difficult for the programmers and game designers. Ever wonder why
the consoles are so popular ? One hardware configuration per console type.
Much easier to develop for than the PC. By several orders of magnitude.

You can't argue with a companies logic when it's pulling in $150,000,000 per MONTH
in subscriber fees. They are doing it so right that every other MMORPG has
elements of WOW tied into it in some way shape or form. Every other company
WISHES it had half the success that Blizzard has with WOW.

Last edited by Daye; 22-08-2008 at 04:56 PM..
Daye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #21
oddity
Banned.

1. It's nothing to do with the style of graphics. You can retain that stylisation but still make them up to modern standards.
2. It's nothing to do with performance issues, you can have graphics that can be scaled up or down according to the users hardware as many engines do.
3. It has nothing to do with good gameplay Vs graphics, they aren't mutually exclusive.

They are clever in their marketing strategy at least, targeting the lowest common denominator in society with a product designed to hook them in, and as you say they're now making megabucks.
I don't know why governments didn't think of this idea years ago and give it away for free, not to make money, but to keep the population docile and distracted and mailable with a game where they pretend to live in a fantasy land, they could even sprinkle it with subliminal messages.
I suppsoe they don't need to now since it's already happening. Aldous Huxley had it spot on.

Last edited by oddity; 22-08-2008 at 08:24 PM..
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
STANER
I'll Be Back!

I dont care about the game at all but BLIZZARD's cinematics are just a amazing

Blizzard's cinematics are huge inspiration for me, every time i see them i just want to start my 3d application and create some cool stuff..heh

I just wondering how much time did they spend to create this kind of short

Last edited by STANER; 23-08-2008 at 07:43 PM..
STANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #23
YtooB
Freelance Digital Artist

Send a message via ICQ to YtooB
Quote:
That's not true any more, realtime graphics have reached a stage where it is actually possible to make great looking cinematics where it actually looks the same or close to it in the real game.
My point is that there is such a ridiculous difference between this trailer and the actual in-game graphics, I don't know how they get away with it.
As for the trailer itself, it's nothing but a typical dose of clichéd rpg nonsense.
No offense, but i think u have no idea what u're talking about. WoW has been running for about 4 years now and before that it was in production for another 4 or 5 years. So the basic math can tell that u have about 10 years old engine and limited possibilities of adding new stuff to it. Second thing is the game content which in this case is really HUGE. So it would take another few years to rework the content into a new engine. But why shoud they do it now? So the characters can have 100 times more polygons and would look as plastic and artificial as in other 90% games? I'd probably quit playing that because the beauty in the WoW graphics is not in its technical qualities. If u played the game u'd see sceneries and places that no other game can show. There can be 15k poly characters, tons of normal maps and other hi-end effects, but it's not what makes the game look good.
And scalable engines? Can u show some of them that could handle a game like this and would allow u to play it on 6 years old hardware?
And why do u compare the intro and ingame graphics? Games had animated intros since the stone age of gaming and it always looked better than the actual ingame graphics and it was kinda intentional. These sequences are just eyecandy and a reward for playing thru the game so it must look as good as possible no matter how the ingame stuff looks.
I dunno if u actually play any games or since when have u been playing them, but what u say makes really little sense to me, sorry
Old 23-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #24
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
As an avid gamer, I must agree with Ytoob. I've got a Quad Core system for doing graphics, so you can understand I can play basically any game on maximum quality. I've played Crysis on Very High detail, I've rushed through Devil May Cry 4 and Unreal Tournament 2007, but I find World of Warcraft to look good and I have no problem with the graphics ( the textures are awesome; no, not technically, but artistically; and some of the scenery is just breathtaking - first time I bought a Netherwing Drake and flew anywhere I wanted above a world ripped apart by portals I was more amazed than anything aforementioned games ever did to me ).

Now, cinematics is my main dish. I eat cinematics in the morning and leave room for more cinematics in the evening before going to bed and dreaming about cinematics. I make cinematics for a living. And I play games for the story and for the CINEMATICS. I'm turned off by a game not having some. The Starcraft cinematics ( bless them! ) were what got me to do 3d, 8 years ago, and it has changed my life.

So you can just go away and rant elsewhere, because here at 3DTotal, we love cinematics, and we love how they blend in with a game's atmosphere and lore. And brother, WoW's got atmosphere.

Old 23-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #25
oddity
Banned.

You're right I don't know why I bother getting into these arguments, other than a bit of fun. I've never played Wow, I never will, and I don't care how good or bad the graphics are.
You can remove everything I've said in this thread, apart from my comment on the trailer being the usual dose of generic RPG nonsense, which is entirely accurate. It may be technically above average as a visual display, but no thought or iota of genuine creativity went into to it whatsoever, and if the dialogue had been written by a 12 year old for a literature exam he'd have been lucky to get a D.
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #26
YtooB
Freelance Digital Artist

Send a message via ICQ to YtooB
Quote:
You're right I don't know why I bother getting into these arguments, other than a bit of fun. I've never played Wow, I never will, and I don't care how good or bad the graphics are.
You can remove everything I've said in this thread, apart from my comment on the trailer being the usual dose of generic RPG nonsense, which is entirely accurate. It may be technically above average as a visual display, but no thought or iota of genuine creativity went into to it whatsoever, and if the dialogue had been written by a 12 year old for a literature exam he'd have been lucky to get a D.
Well, everyone has a right to have his own opinions. If u don't like it then there's nothing wrong about it. But if u want to judge it, u should have some personal experience with it. As u can't say a movie is bad or good without seeing it, u can't say the game has bad graphics if u haven't played it and haven't seen some bigger part of it.
And by the way, there is no dialogue in the video Just a monologue that must touch everyone who knows the story and knows what's going on. If u don't know it, then I understand that it does nothing for u
Old 23-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #27
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
I found the monologue of king Terenas to be superb. Especially knowing that Arthas killed his own father, then listening to what Terenas told him as a child, is very moving.

We respect your opinion, oddity. Not everyone will like WoW, and WoW cinematics. Same way that I don't like things that other people love.

So let's be fair and agree to like different things. The cinematic is still kickass and Blizzard have done a great job with it, in my opinion. I can't wait to see what they've got in store for the Starcraft 2 cinematics.

Old 23-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #28
neolith
h4xx0r

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Dont worry,oddity,we all have the freedom of speech so nothing will be deleted.Regarding this,bottom line is:almost every other game's cinematic trailer is just something totally unrepresentative for the game itself and it's meant only to draw some attention towards the game.Just look at Age of Conan,Warhammer Online etc,their producers do the exact same thing:they pull out an impressive cinematic trailer that's nothing like the game but that does the job of getting everyone hyped up for the game.It's not something only Blizzard does but it's something Blizzard excels at.

Quote:
something wrongI think
neolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #29
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neolith View Post
Dont worry,oddity,we all have the freedom of speech so nothing will be deleted.Regarding this,bottom line is:almost every other game's cinematic trailer is just something totally unrepresentative for the game itself and it's meant only to draw some attention towards the game.Just look at Age of Conan,Warhammer Online etc,their producers do the exact same thing:they pull out an impressive cinematic trailer that's nothing like the game but that does the job of getting everyone hyped up for the game.It's not something only Blizzard does but it's something Blizzard excels at.
True!

I'm also waiting for Starcraft II to come out. The gameplay's going to be awesome, the story awesome, but having cinematics sprinkled throughout it will be divine! I don't care that the in-game marines have 5k polys, as long as in the cinematic they have 5 million poly, because that is the way I will remember and picture them in-game.

Old 24-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #30
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Also, beside what Freespace just said, look at Diablo 3 opening cinematic - it SUCKS. Yet the mood and the story of the game we all are acustomed with, the continuity of it, jolts some new feeling into all of us, making the waiting exciting. In the end its not the cinematics, not even the graphics but the story, the familiarity of the characters, the univers in which we have been emerged for years now. The hell with the money, a gamer's soul its only atracted to a new univers with an old story he is acustomed with.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote