>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 15-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
fael097

TurboSquid stealing money

Hi, i just opened this thread to share my frustration with turbosquid.
I was checking my TS reports, like i do everyday, and noticed a ticket that TS support opened to contact me, saying that i had a copyright infraction on a product. very well, i answered asking what product, so i could do something about it, like defend myself and prove that the product was mine, but the only answer i got was this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosquid
We have the right to decide who is eligible to conduct business on our site and who is not. We have made the decision that your account with not be re-opened.
There are other venues in the 3-D Marketplace where you can post.
We ask that you not continue to open tickets on this matter.
and they never told me what have i done.
funny thing, that happened like 5 days before i was about to receive almost a hundred dollars, when my sales were increasing more than 100%, and i was about to become a silver member. got banned for no reason at all, and obviously i didn't get my money.
doesn't it looks suspicious? and TS is Autodesk's official source huh... lame...
despite of that, 55% cut for new members is a rip off. that's stealing, and i would sure sue them if i was in the US.
here's a picture of the ticket:

and here's turbosquid lying they paid me:

Last edited by fael097; 15-04-2010 at 10:10 PM..
fael097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
bclark22

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Wow.. that's pretty crazy but I don't think they did it for no reason still...

Did you put up a model that included an HDRI image from some dvd or other website? Used any textures from any other websites? There must be something they are looking at that clearly shows you took some idea/work from another place.

I do agree that it is weird and screwed up that they won't tell you specifically what you did, if you took them to court over it they would have to show evidence I'm sure, but that costs money and is probably not even worth pursuing unless you know 100% that you are correct. It also would not be worth it because they reserve the right to ban your account no matter what, that was most likely in their terms of services agreement when you first signed up for the account.
bclark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 05:09 AM   #3
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Turbosquid- Where models go to die

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
fael097

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark22 View Post
Wow.. that's pretty crazy but I don't think they did it for no reason still...

Did you put up a model that included an HDRI image from some dvd or other website? Used any textures from any other websites? There must be something they are looking at that clearly shows you took some idea/work from another place.

I do agree that it is weird and screwed up that they won't tell you specifically what you did, if you took them to court over it they would have to show evidence I'm sure, but that costs money and is probably not even worth pursuing unless you know 100% that you are correct. It also would not be worth it because they reserve the right to ban your account no matter what, that was most likely in their terms of services agreement when you first signed up for the account.
you're right, and that's why i want them to tell me exactly what happened, becoz i'm 100% sure i created everything from scratch.
Old 16-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Even if you created everything from scratch there's no guarentees that you haven't created something that is a part of someone else's IP. Best bet is to pressure them to tell you exactly what they have been asked to remove; remember here that they have been asked to remove it by a third party and the third party is the one who invoked the DMCA. If they fail to provide you with that information then TS are in violation of the DMCA, so use that as a bargaining chip to get the information from them. For them to remove everything suggests that either they have gone too far (only one item under dispute and they have removed everything) or alternatively the person who has made the claim is claiming that all of your meshes are their IP, in which case you should immediately counter claim if you have proof that the meshes you posted are your meshes and the content is not held under another's IP (Star Trek ships are under the Paramount IP regardless of whether they are your own design for example)

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Looking at their final response they say that the items are listed above. If they aren't then you need to press them on which items. That's the key to the problem and its resolution

Old 16-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
fael097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perversonality View Post
Looking at their final response they say that the items are listed above. If they aren't then you need to press them on which items. That's the key to the problem and its resolution
exactly, they said the items were listed, but they're not. and they just removed all my items. and i've been trying to pressure them since then, but they hang up on me on live chat all the time, and whenever i open a support ticket, they close it the moment they read. so its pretty much impossible to talk to them, thats why i say they're stealing.
Old 26-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Turbo Squid is pyramid scheme. People buy into the idea that there's $$$ to be made and use that as an excuse to pump out meaningless junk that earns someone less talented cash.

All paid artwork is ultimately product, but ask yourself, "are you more of a service provider or a content provider?" If content is your answer, stay clear from the wholesale market that is Turbosquid. Respect your artwork for what it is intended to be.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 26-04-2010 at 06:53 AM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
mbousquet

Hi,

This is Michele from TurboSquid. Hopefully I can clarify some things about this situation.

The member in question was detected trying to distribute a large collection of another artist’s work on a public forum. TurboSquid has a clear policy for illegal activity like this--it results in instant suspension. This member has been given clear information about why he was suspended, which he has chosen not to post here.

TurboSquid takes illegal distribution of 3D models very seriously. We can’t prevent each and every theft across the Internet, but we can enforce our own policies with regard to our members.

It’s my hope that the 3D artists on this forum will appreciate the steps we've taken to safeguard the 3D marketplace.

Michele Bousquet
TurboSquid
mbousquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Thanks for posting Michele

Old 08-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
dFecTd
Trying to Improve

Send a message via Yahoo to dFecTd
wow that sucks dude,
but maybe you did copyright without knowing so,
although they shouldn't have had banned you without giving you the proper reason and the exact model that you used without permission

Latest Work :
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...sword-dark.jpg
not so good, but good for a 2 week starter :]
dFecTd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 01:37 AM   #12
3dart

I just get more and more frustrated when I see more people are sharing the same fate as me in Turbosquid. They are constantly manipulating numbers and product ranking against their own rules. It is just a money making game for them. My 3D model was selling well when suddenly they sued me saying copy writing issue. Later I find out a friend of their employee made a similar model so they pushed me away. They treated me worse than a dog when I wanted to cancel my account for this issue.
3dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
BPerschall

This is Beau from TurboSquid. Hopefully I can clarify a few things here.

First, the artist who originally started this thread had been detected trying to distribute a large collection of another artistís work on a public forum as Michele stated in 2010. So his "fate" was based on potential theft, which we take very seriously as a professional marketplace.

Second, TurboSquid doesn't sue any of our artists. We do however issue DMCA Takedown notices when the owner/manufacturer of a model or design deems that an artist has posted a model that they feel infringes upon their intellectual property and they contact us. This is not something we arbitrarily do to punish anyone, but it means that the model in question was likely someone else's IP, and they have a right to protect it. As part of that same process, if you feel the takedown has been sent in error, then you are free to contest it using the existing mechanism in place at TurboSquid. And you can reach out to our designated agent to get further clarification based on the email you likely received from him.

Third, if you had trouble cancelling your account, then send me a private message with your TS username and I can follow up internally to find out the cause. Our support group is quite professional and should have given you all of the information regarding how to terminate your account.

Sincerely,

-=Beau
BPerschall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #14
littleclaude

Okay, I had better pull my money out of them! I have not bothered to date due to all the crappy TAX forms.
littleclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #15
Susana-Poot-herre

Turbosquid is really old fashioned. The site is very difficult to use and looks like it is from 1990. Their dashboard layout is terrible and makes no sense. Newer sites are much more easier to use and see how my models are doing.
Susana-Poot-herre is offline   Reply With Quote