>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Game Art

Old 21-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
shadowking

shadowking - Indiana Jones Treasure Hunter

Hi guys, Im new around here but thought this might be interesting. I'll be doing a rather generic looking guy influenced by the uncharted games.
Heres where I am at the moment.

Its my first fully clothed zbrush model, still along way to go on it.
shadowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Mclean

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
hey dude, good to see you on here, your shadowking from GA right? good luck on your first 3dtotal comp! hope you get it finished! only thing id say is careful of the forearm from this angle it looks very angular instead of rounded! good start man! keep it up.

HELP OUR LITTLE TEAM OF 4 MAKE THE GAME OF OUR DREAMS
Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
shadowking

yeah thats me, Thanks alot for the encouragement, I really appreciate it. Your right about the arms, they still need alot of work. My zbrush skills are really low at the minute so this probably wont turn out as good as I want. But like they say practice makes perfect.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Hey, looking good. I'm fairly new to zbrush too (bout 2 months of serious study), let me share a few tricks I've learned.

Make sure you're working with the lowest subdivision level when you're making big changes, save the really high levels (2 mill polygons +) for clothing wrinkles and such. So, for example, a good way to smooth out that corner in the forearms, would be to take it down to like the second or third subdivision level and run it over with the clay brush. I try to avoid the standard brush, unless I'm making big changes. The clay brush allows for more subtlety and control.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the whole character is just one single mesh? If this is the case, you should look into working with sub-tools. They're a huuuuuge boost to work flow and quality.

Keep up the good work, it's coming along well!

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
shadowking

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that in future.
The head, body, strap and backpack are seperate sub-tools, though I've only just learned how to use them properly.
Cheers again!