>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 16-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #46
JudicatorMX
Different

Ok, "Needse", I think you shouldn't worry about global prices for 3D modeling. From all these posts you should now understand that for 100$ (average) you can get a pretty decent model.
You should always look for cheapest though. It's simple business. When you're searching for a modeler, don't ask how much will he/she take. Instead, now you can charge him/her with the minimum. I'm 100% sure that you'll find people that will do it for you, because not everybody understand prices and they'll work for whatever they can get.
The only problem is figuring out if the chosen person is really good.
So the best way - make a contest, describe it, describe the payment (as low as reasonably possible). Bunch of people will agree and they'll make you the model. Only thing you have left to do is chose the best and pay the mentioned amount of money. Don't forget, you don't have to pay in advance. Nowadays you don't have to do that. That's why it's a contest...
It's simple. Just make modelers interested in the project and voila!
JudicatorMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #47
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
i agree with judicator - make a contest, cmopetition alone those lines - and choose the appropriate work as best - continue working with that person and that's that
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #48
neolith
h4xx0r

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
This way, you can have multiple equally good artists with equally good works and you will pay the money based on personal prefference. Which means some of the artists won't get paid for their time spent on this. Ofc, the employeer makes his own rules but what Judicator says, with low payments and contests, seems aimed at "fooling" unexperienced artists.

LE: Unless, of course, you meant like a pretty small test and not have them all do your work and pay only for the best one.

Quote:
something wrongI think
neolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #49
silvaticus

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge No. 10 Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Do the whole thing Judicator suggests with plumbers, cable guys, bakers, taxi drivers, prostitutes, etc. and see what comes out of it!
I`m sure once you caught their interest they`ll be happy to work for you especially if you tell them what a great portfolio piece they`ll have.
silvaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #50
bobi
Scorpion

I don't like the concept of challenges, unless it was organized from some huge 3D community (3D Forums, or 3D sites, or something like that).
It's just a way to get more work for free.

Somebody said once to the business man that have similar job challenge idea: "Let's have slightly different deal. Your company will going to pay me. Some others companies will going to pay me. I will choose the company that pays me highest price, and I will deliver my work to them".

So, not only that people that are doing 3D for living can do that kind of stuff with the challenges, I wouldn't even encourage young artist to make their start that way.
That habit is really bad for the whole industry, imho.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #51
JudicatorMX
Different

I agree it's bad from artist's perspective. But it's good from buyer's point.
If you sell something - you must try to make the price as big as possible. If you're buying something, you have to make the price as low as possible. There's no such thing as good or bad company/person. Everyone tries to make profit as big as possible with efforts as low as possible. It's the way business works.
Yes, I wouldn't recommend an artist to work for a small amount of money. I would recommend him to make the price as high as possible. But also I would never recommend the buyer (company/person) to listen to the artist. The buyer has to try to make the price as low as possible.
One way isn't fair for the artist and another way isn't fair to the buyer. But it never was and it will never be. That's the way things work. Eventually one of them will have to step down.
The person who made this thread wants to buy. That's why he must make the price as low as possible, even if it's not fair for the artist. There will always be a person who will work for small amount of money. And in the end - he will be payed, and the one who wanted more money, will get nothing.
JudicatorMX is offline   Reply With Quote