>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
BlueSummers - Dominance War II

I'm in. Now is the time!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
ThatDon
iCreate

Send a message via AIM to ThatDon Send a message via MSN to ThatDon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Wolverine was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 2
Nice, that makes 42 of us now!
ThatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Quick Sketches
Here's some of what's on my mind. I've always wanted to wipe out the human race! I'm a lousy artist, so have mercy on my pathetic sketch. I like the "chalkboard" look.

There're two ideas here. First is an agile grenadier that runs FAST into enemy lines and throws bombs everywhere. Pipe or round; I'm not sure yet- but it will be awesome.

The other is a big hulking behemoth that has two HUGE METAL WRECKING BALLS attached to his wrists. He grips them with his hands and swings them around, destroying buildings and sweeping enemy troops. I bet if he were big enough, he could just throw them into enemy encampments like siege!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
novoAlias
Found snow.

Send a message via MSN to novoAlias
Chocolate!

Nice ideas so far, good to have you with us Liking the paper cutout highlight style
,,`,,`,,

http://forums.3dtotal.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=726&dateline=11981294  96
novoAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
mim
Arm& you !

Send a message via Yahoo to mim
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Awsome ideas btw I like that chalkboard look too!
I like behemoth more
Goodluck guy
Whistle through your comb!
Do a loony-goony dance
Cross the kitchen floor!
Put something silly in the world!
That aint been there before!
"Sell Silverstain"
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
Kalango
Freelacer berseker >_>

keep it up with the ideas
Old 06-02-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
Skeptical Nate

*gasp* Guyblue?! I didnt think Id see you get involved in this. Im excited to see what you come up with man, good luck!
Skeptical Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Quick Reply
You bet! I figured I might as well jump in, though I'll have to really budget my time because classes are ramping up this semester to something awful.

Here's another image that outlines the body proportions a little better (but not perfectly). The one on the left is a "chicken-walker" style bot that will be for hand-to-hand combat and grenade distribution. The one on the right could be for siege or other "big-heavy" jobs. Looks like either one could be a lot of fun.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Quick Reply
I've pinned down my idea officially. He'll be a PALADIN!

He's a lumbering giant that will turn the tide of the war! His tremendous size is a boon as he wields a massive energy weapon to sweep the enemy forces in broad, devastating strokes. His gigantic reactor makes it possible to generate the energy levels of an entire starship, released in that impressive energy cannon. His offensive capacities are complimented by a full-length energy shield. Virtually impenetrable, the energy shield protects it from incomming bombardment, and enables it to go into defense mode!

Defense mode is where the paladin will get down on all fours, and rotate it's arm such that the shield generator faces forward, and the shield itself runs left and right of the paladin! From this vantage point, it may fire on incomming enemy forces, then stand and retreat while defending the flanks. The energy shield can be bowed to up to 180 degrees- meaning one must attack behind the paladin to injure it in defense mode.

The drawbacks? Yah there're some. The Paladin costs as much as 120 constructed infantry units. It's bulk means that speedy attack or retreat is difficult, and their paths must be well planned in order to minimize movement. If you find yourself fighting a Paladin- you're in for a long fight that you probably won't win.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Cool stuff, keep up the good work. I like that mech character. I cant wait to see what you come up with.

John Inman
Agent-X
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #11
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
cool idea. i really like the sketch. looking forward to your model
Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
wow i like it, ill be right in front of it to help you mobilize your shields and attack
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #13
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Quick Update
Good stuff! Now that we have a grip on what it's going to do, it's time to pin down a style. I've included in this style sheet everything from "Gundam Wing" style robots to "Nothing-but-evil-powered" robots. I'll probably stare at this for a while, then try a few maneuvers to see which suits this idea best.

Here's to hoping!