>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 24-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
timberwo7ves - Battle Chess

Looking very vampirey at the moment Probably due to the dodgy dress and poorly replicated mouth-of-sauron mouth. I've got an outline for the torso underneath so I can get started on that first

question: when making game art characters, with a base mesh, and then clothes on top, before saving out the model, should the unseen faces be deleted? or will renderers only care about the polys which are visible?
Attached Images

Last edited by timberwo7ves; 25-06-2011 at 06:29 PM..
timberwo7ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Those are some pretty creepy references...can't wait to see what you come up with!
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
TonyClifton

Awards Showcase
Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: First Place in: May 2008 - Carnivorous Plant, Stylized Challenge 
Looking forward to see more. The Coraline movie is fantastic!

I did not really understand your question.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up 
Total Awards: 8
I would delete any unneeded faces. With Game Art since poly limits are much higher than they used to be its not as "necessary" for poly restriction purposes. But you usually you have to have the character, gear, accessories, and often minions and mounts all on one texture sheet. With a 2048 limit the more space you can save the better.
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatKaiune3D! Thank you:
timberwo7ves (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post
Looking forward to see more. The Coraline movie is fantastic!

I did not really understand your question.
When building characters, I was taught to build the base mesh first, like a naked body, and do clothes on top to better define the form; with in-game models trying to save tris, I was asking whether it would be suggested to delete the unseen body, such that (simplified example) you only have tris which represent the head, neck and hands, and the rest is clothes (i.e. delete the actual arm if there is a sleeve on top).

And as an aside, would it still be true if you were creating for animation? Would the renderer only take the time to process the faces which are visible, or will unseen faces also slow down rendertimes (in MR/Vray, not in-game renderers)?

Thanks for the comments, I was planning to quietly withdraw as I've not got much time :s but I'll try to continue, and finish it even if outside of the competition Was mulling over what poopipe said in the main thread, and want to spend more time on the design, learning about silhouette value and color passes in design stage
Old 01-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I believe that the renderer will process faces, even if they are hidden underneath, say, a sleeve.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Thanks Alucard. This news is disappointing and seems ridiculously inefficient of them Tangent though.

Some silhouette evolution. Reading the brief again, realised she needs some kind of weapon or way to fight (battle chess, who would have thought they'd need to fight :S) so rather than melee weapons, I would go down the route of devastating witch-queen, with a tome of spells perhaps and some casting instrument like a bone-wand/sceptre or magic rings.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
One thing i would say, is that you gotta watch for crazy forms on your 2d drawings. They may not translate well to 3d. Specially if your just going for extreme exageration and crazy curves that could possibly add a lot value to the silhoutte, but have abosutely nothing to do with the integrity and support of the actualy model.

In otherwords, if it looks like crap in paper, its gonna like crap in 3d.

I do like what ur going for. Its gonna be nice seeing you evolve this into a final textured asset!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
One thing i would say, is that you gotta watch for crazy forms on your 2d drawings. They may not translate well to 3d. Specially if your just going for extreme exageration and crazy curves that could possibly add a lot value to the silhoutte, but have abosutely nothing to do with the integrity and support of the actualy model.

In otherwords, if it looks like crap in paper, its gonna like crap in 3d.

I do like what ur going for. Its gonna be nice seeing you evolve this into a final textured asset!
haha it's going to be nice finishing my first character ever! (Possibly first fully modelled and textured object ever??)

Can you see any forms which might be difficult to translate at this stage? I've never really made a 2d design -> 3d before so I'm not sure what I should watch out for; that said, I've been trying to imagine a 3d form whilst inking these so hoping that it's doable. Also, never worked taking notice of tris before; is it a direct 2x correlation between quads and tris?
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
If you have a Face, or a quad. A quad has 4 sides. Then its divided into 2 tirangles. So if u had 2 quads, you would have 4 triangles. I honestly dont even look at the quad number anymore. Unless im in zbrush and i need to export something out. Wanna make sure i can bring it back into my modeling app.

If you are working in games, is always a good thing to only keep tris in mind.

As far as your question about any forms which might be difficult to translate at this stage? Perhaps, but its too early too tell. Although, you should really sit back, and have fun man! Its your project man, so have fun with it and learn!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Thanks man, I'm trying to Finding matching up a front view to be quite difficult lol but it's pretty cool doing something in a group with loads of others too

cool render in #15 in your thread btw, it's coming along nicely
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Made a start on the base mesh, want to get most of the forms blocked out before I continue with the 2D sketches, just to see if there could be any dodgy areas translating to 3D before I get too carried away.

I've left the eye circle like, as I'm contemplating sticking a button in there.

I'm not sure how to distribute the tri quota, i.e. how many (ish) to reserve for different parts of the body like heads, hands etc. I guess it's different for each model but I'll try to download some low poly meshes just to see what can be achieved with x number of tris.

edit: Checking the SwordMaster tutorial shows I've already got too many. I'll fix it up in the next upload.
Attached Images

Last edited by timberwo7ves; 03-07-2011 at 06:22 PM..
timberwo7ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
If you have Zbrush, you should give a thought to using Zspheres for your base. They are quick and easy, and give relatively low polycounts. Just a suggestion. Keep it up!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
I don't know how to use it It's on my list to learn after maya, nuke and pftrack
Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up 
Total Awards: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwo7ves View Post
I'm not sure how to distribute the tri quota, i.e. how many (ish) to reserve for different parts of the body like heads, hands etc. I guess it's different for each model but I'll try to download some low poly meshes just to see what can be achieved with x number of tris.
Don't really worry about the tricount in the rough out stage you can always remove loops once you get toward the clean up phase. Just remember that the tricount doesn't really matter until you turn in your piece. That being said you don't want to model unnecessary parts like seems in clothes or other small items that can be done in modeling/sculpting.
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote