>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Myths and Legends - Nov 2009 > Matte Painting - "Dragons Lair"

Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Dragon's Lair

Matte Painting Challenge no. 01
Subject - Dragon's Lair

Topic: Dragon's Lair

As part of the Myth and Legends competition, the Matte Painting section challenges you to create one of the most legendary locations, the dream of every adventurer and, usually, the grave of most...Venture deep into the Dragon's Lair and tell us what you saw!

Requirements:

Your job for this challenge is to create a photorealistic or slightly stylized scene depicting how a Dragon's Lair might look like. This could be anything from a huge cavern interior, full of riches, to a vast scorched land full of pyres. Important is to tell a story without words and make it look real!

Deadline:

Monday 11:59 pm (GMT) November 30th (use the time zone thread to make sure your done in time)

Deliverables :

All participants are required to create their own thread where they need to provide the following:
- A work in progress (WIP) sheet
- A final image

In order to be validated, you must show us the work in progress. No entry will be accepted without a work in progress example

Please name your threads like this: Your Name – Dragon's Lair

Also, please keep all questions in this thread

WIP Sheet

A WIP sheet is a compilation of images showcasing your creative process, from the initial sketches to the final image.

Final Image Sizes

For the judging stage we will accept submissions as .JPG files at minimum 1200 pixels wide.

Restrictions

-All images, including concepts, sketches, 3D assets, etc. must be made specifically for this contest.

-You are not allowed to post this image anywhere else until the challenge is over.

-No teams or groups – everything must be made by one person.

**Winners may be asked to cooperate in an interview about themselves and their work, and provide detailed ‘making of’ articles accompanied by high-resolution work in progress stills for 2DArtist Magazine after the competition.

Judging:
Will start with public vote to decide the top 10, then a private panel will come together to choose the top 3 placements.

Prizes:

Matte Painting 1st Place
e-on software - Vue 8 xStream - worth $1495
Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100
3DTotal - Any 3 ebooks - worth approx $45
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20
3DTotal - t-shirt - $?? (priceless!)

Matte Painting 2nd Place
Gnomon - Any training DVD (download) - worth approx $60
3DTotal - Any 3 ebooks - worth approx $45
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20

Matte Painting 3rd Place
3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15

Matte Painting 4th Place

Matte Painting 5th Place

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 11-11-2009 at 11:16 AM..
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
I have been thinking about it, and I'm not really good at matte painting but i would love to give this a go. perfect time to learn.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Yea I'm thinking the same thing M.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Smily

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! 
This challenge will be perfect for me to practice, besides the issue seems great.
Smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Quote:
I have been thinking about it, and I'm not really good at matte painting but i would love to give this a go. perfect time to learn.
Quote:
Yea I'm thinking the same thing M.
Quote:
This challenge will be perfect for me to practice, besides the issue seems great.
Go for it, we're looking forward to seeing people try out new areas of the forums and get involved across the competitions! We can't wait to see what you all come up with! Good luck

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
WHOAH! The prizes are mind blowing! I am totally in!

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Sad that I don't have enough time... but perhaps I'll give it a go, just for the fun. Though I don't think I will be able to finish it in time. :-(
Nevertheless this is just great! I love the new challenges!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Oltskul
How you can fight?

Send a message via ICQ to Oltskul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
gona give it a shot
ive got bit more time now, so lets do it
3rd MP in my life

http://www.oltskul.com
Oltskul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
KernAttila
VFX student

That's an awesome contest, I just posted my WIP
Can't wait to see what you all will do!

I just hope I'll have enough time to finish it as I'm very busy at school with my film!
KernAttila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
denniz

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Hello,

One question: I know the final image needs to be 'photoreal', but does this include a stylized photoreal? example: Warcraft cinematic style?

Thx!
denniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
you can go stylized as long as there is a real sense of depth
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
xeni

Send a message via MSN to xeni
can i use some of the images from the http://freetextures.3dtotal.com/
xeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
how is this different from normal painting?. give me a few statring points plz

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
MatejaPetkovic

Is this possible, total3d is awake
Will try to find some time

M
MatejaPetkovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
shanmatte30

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''The Lonely Soldier'' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''The Lonely Soldier'' 
Total Awards: 2
It's amazing challenge...
shanmatte30 is offline   Reply With Quote