>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 20-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #46
AimBiZ

The face will for now be polished plain, maybe a countour going hirizontally through it just to make it look like spearate parts or something, but probably just plain. I want it to look cold and expressionless. And for detail in average I will soon start the detailwork as soon as I get finished with the preliminary texture on the gear. I'm planning to add lots of shiny stuff.
AimBiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #47
zerorhythm

sparkles! :-D cool! lol
Old 20-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #48
AimBiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerorhythm
sparkles! :-D cool! lol
Lots of it.
Old 22-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #49
AimBiZ

Um, I still have the texture problem which is starting to annoy me alot. I've mapped and made some fast texture on the gear as well and now I want to make a pose to update my thumb but I can't pose it as log as the UV's get messed up when rotating the joints. I tried with a targa image instead of psd but no difference. I've studied the UV's behaviour and on some faces the texture either gets stretched out in some strange way I can't make out or gets flipped 90 degrees and fitted into the face, simply they act strange and I have no idea whyi it does that. If anyone have a slightest clue of what could be wrong, I would be more than happy to hear.
Old 22-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #50
YdoUwant2know

What program are you using and how do you have it all unwrapped?

In 3ds max, I know I have had some trouble with the UVW unwrap. Sometimes, depending on how you unwrap things, it may flip or rotate normals in the editor. If this is the case, you may have to re-UVW unwrap, or at least clean it up.

Otherwise, double check your geometry to make sure you don't have a false edge, (an extra line right on top of another one). I have had this problem once or twice as well especially when I edge model.

There is also the chance that you have done nothing wrong. It could just be the fact that as the body moves, the polygons change there size and shape. The UVSís however remain the same so they distort the texture to match the new shape of the polygon.

If this is the case, the only thing I could think to do would be to change your skeleton or your geometry to account for this.

best of luck
YdoUwant2know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #51
AimBiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YdoUwant2know
What program are you using and how do you have it all unwrapped?

In 3ds max, I know I have had some trouble with the UVW unwrap. Sometimes, depending on how you unwrap things, it may flip or rotate normals in the editor. If this is the case, you may have to re-UVW unwrap, or at least clean it up.

Otherwise, double check your geometry to make sure you don't have a false edge, (an extra line right on top of another one). I have had this problem once or twice as well especially when I edge model.

There is also the chance that you have done nothing wrong. It could just be the fact that as the body moves, the polygons change there size and shape. The UVSís however remain the same so they distort the texture to match the new shape of the polygon.

If this is the case, the only thing I could think to do would be to change your skeleton or your geometry to account for this.

best of luck
Thanks very much for your concern. I use Maya and I only used planar mapping for the current textures. Did use automatic in the beginning since MentalRay refused to work and I solved it by giving the UV's an automatic map.

Hm, didn't really think of geometry. Have to check it out if I have any faults there. Could be it even though I still would be surprised if I found any, cause I can't think of any mistakes I might've done but that's the biggest and most common mistake, to think you've made it all right and fail to find the source of the problem. :P

Also it seems as the UV's stays in place on their map even when the texture acts wierd, which strengthen your geometrytheory. I had the same problem with the fingers and it shows up if I move the joints but since they're made for rotating and not moving it's cool. That problem was solved after some remodeling.

And about the skeleton, I could post some pics if you want. I have all the necessary joints I need and on the organic parts all skinwieghts are painted manually. Oh, and I use smoothbind.

Anyways, I'll check everything out, and test your theories. They sound good so hopefully I solve my problem.
Old 23-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #52
YdoUwant2know

Sorry to say, i don't know much about Maya. I know maya and max are about the same, but I have not even opened the program in about 2 years, and even then it was just to take a peak.

I hope you can figure it out.
Best of luck.
YdoUwant2know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 03:09 AM   #53
AimBiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YdoUwant2know
Sorry to say, i don't know much about Maya. I know maya and max are about the same, but I have not even opened the program in about 2 years, and even then it was just to take a peak.

I hope you can figure it out.
Best of luck.
Joy and hapiness everyone!

I've solved it!

Thank you very much for the tips. I took a look at the geometry, made a merge vertex on them, no verts where werged since it seemed there were no need for it but it worked! So here's some new pics fresh from the render!

Enjoy!

Old 23-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #54
requiem2d
Poly Hustler.

Stylish, nice one, keep it up (maybe sharpen some parts up)
requiem2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #55
squirl

exelent texture job! i was hoping you would stick with the blue/black colour scheme.

This T-800 Terminator has encountered a problem and will now close.

would you like to send a report?
squirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #56
AimBiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl
exelent texture job! i was hoping you would stick with the blue/black colour scheme.
Well, thanks man!

Still far from finished though. I'm planning alot of detailwork and I also have to figure out how to make a glowmap.

And requiem2d, thank you as well! I'm not sure what you mean with "sharpen". Do you mean make arts of the texture look sharper or improve the model? For geometry I have no tris left to spare... well at least not anough. Got like 5 tris left on the robot itself. :P
Old 23-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #57
merlyn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My ''Woody Harrelson'' piece  was featered on the front page! 
Total Awards: 2
Well done mate this piece is allready looking really good.
0202742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #58
xissburg
n0_0b

Send a message via MSN to xissburg
Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 1
Hey VERY NICE. your model is awesome, really good style. Just think you could make your textures moure rough, more noised in some parts(dont use the photoshop noise filter!!please...). Good luck!
xissburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #59
AimBiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xissburg
Hey VERY NICE. your model is awesome, really good style. Just think you could make your textures moure rough, more noised in some parts(dont use the photoshop noise filter!!please...). Good luck!
Thank you!

The textures are rougher but due to the material I've assigned them to renders it shiny and makes it look more clean which I like more. I want it to look nice and clean metal just like the concept, but I might add some damage n stuff.

And I'll have to experiment with bumbmaping to see the difference. Since there is no bump right now everything is shiny.

Last edited by AimBiZ; 23-02-2007 at 06:41 PM..
Old 24-02-2007, 02:45 AM   #60
AimBiZ

First priority right now is to figure out how to make that so called glowmap. Did some research and it seems glowmap and selfillumination is pretty much the same. I'll take the opportunity to ask if anyone knows how to apply a selfillumination mask to a material in Maya? Would be of great help.

Anyways, back to google I guess:P, have a nice day... or evening all!