>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 03-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #46
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Sweet!
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #47
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Alright, here it is. The big one. My skin shader. Or as I like to refer to it - my "Adjustable Light Curve Shader."

Shader_Donze_Skin.fx

Shader_Donze_Skin_NoShadows.fx

So, this has all the same features as the other shaders, but with lots of cool new stuff. And because its some pretty heavy stuff, I've made a little tut to help you all understand whats going on under the hood.

To start off with, you need a very basic understanding of how realtime lighting is calculated. Take the following example. A simple sphere with a single spot light off to the right:

Notice the nice smooth shading. The brightness of any given point along the surface is calculated by finding the Dot Product of the light vector and surface normal vector. You don't need to know what that means or how it works, but its good to know what the result is. The Dot Product will yield a value between -1 and +1. It will be -1 for normals facing directly away from the light... +1 for normals facing directly toward the light..... 0 for perfectly perpendicular normals....so on and so forth. It all sounds super complicated, but here's a simple illustration to help you visualize:

Right in the middle, there is a 0 value, or what I call the "dark point," where the color reaches complete black. On the end facing the light, you have a +1 value, or what I call the "light point," where the color reaches complete white (actually, at this point it will be the full color of the diffuse, which in this case is white). This shader simply moves where those two points are. So, by default, the Light Point is at +1 and the Dark Point is at 0. If we slide the Light Point down to 0.25, we get the following result:

If we move the Dark Point forward to 0.75, you get this result:

By moving the Dark Point back, to say, -0.75, you get a nice pseudo sub surface look, similar to the Half Lambert function of my previous shaders but perhaps a bit better:

Normally, the falloff between the Dark and Light points is a linear curve. However, I have made that curve customizable. Its a simple x^y function. 1.0 is the default. By going lower than 1.0, you can make the light more harsh, falling off rapidly as it approaches the Dark Point:

Going higher than 1.0 will make the falloff from the Light Point steep, but then gradually fade into the Dark Point.

Ok, now this is where it gets interesting. We can add a sub-surface map to blend into the surface diffuse. There are two settings here. Lets start with Color Bleed Level. This is simply how much the subsurface map shows through (my subsurface map is a simple checkerboard pattern).

By default, this map will get blended in between +0.5 and -0.5. By adjusting the Color Bleed Offset, we can move where the blending starts.

Lastly, by creating an alpha channel in your subsurface map, you can control how much all of these settings affect your model. Here I've painted some black wavy lines into the Alpha. Those areas are now no longer affected by any of these settings (instead they are shaded like the standard shader). This can be a grey scale to get varying amounts of subsurface effect.

Well, thats a lot to digest all at once, so please ask questions if you have them. And please let me see what you come up with. There are alot of variables and different ways of tweaking things, so I'm really interesting in the creative ways you people can exploit this shader.

Last edited by Buzzy; 06-12-2008 at 12:26 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #48
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Total Awards: 4
Ah, you are the man. Looking forwards to taking this out for a test drive
Old 06-12-2008, 04:08 AM   #49
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Just been playing about with it. Very nice, still trying to get my head around it thought. I sort of managed to get a prince of persia style thing going on which is well cool. Just wondering, is this the same shader you used to make your barbarian model with? Just asking as I'm not too sure what a sub surface map should look like. Would you mind posting your texture maps so we can see what's behind the hood and can get a better picture of how to make the most of this awesome looking shader? As I'm really interested in how you made the skin for that particular model
Old 06-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #50
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Haha...thats part of the reason I wanted to post this and let everyone experiment with it - I don't really know what a subsurface map should look like for this particular shader. For my barbarian, it was simply a solid blood-red map...and I painted the alpha lighter in areas that would transmit light better....thin areas like the ears, nose, and fingers...also "meaty" areas with no bone under the skin...like the thighs and shoulders. Other than that, I really don't know what would work best. As I said, there are alot of variables here and alot of different ways to approach it.

And yes, this is the same shader (or at least the same math).
Old 06-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #51
neokyubi
Paramedic

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Hey Buzzy,
I'm having Max 2008 and tried your shaders. Somehow the shaders just make my models transparent in the viewport. I also tried the no shadow ones, and it doesn't seem to work. Any advice?
Thanks in advance :-)
Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #52
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
hey neo,
You probably don't have a texture in the diffuse slot. Try unchecking the "Enable Diffuse Map" box.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 AM   #53
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Sweet. Thank the smart person to make this a sticky

Anyways, I hear you, I suppose it's better that we experiment with it ourselves I'll be entering the low poly comp, I hope to do a fleshly organic thing. That will give me something to play with when it comes to texturing. I'll get plenty of time to test it out then. Will post results here and whatever I find that works best as a sub scattering map.

Oh, by the way, couple of questions.
a: Can I get your renderer to render out double sided polys? (Like the way when you check the force render double sided polys box in the rendering options)

b) I noticed that you had glow maps going on in your barbarian model for behind the ears etc. Is that possible with the skin shader you provided us?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #54
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Oh cool....sticky.

To answer your questions:
a) currently the culling is a bit screwy. I've messed with it a lot and can't seem to get it to work right. But I'll spend some time and look into it.
b) The glow-thru effect is not currently in this shader. I will add that a little later. Its pretty sloppy code right now and I'd like to find a more efficient method first.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #55
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Sweet, thanks for the answers, I'll be looking forwards to the next update.
Old 15-12-2008, 06:28 AM   #56
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Hey I added a new glass shader. I was inspired by the Jelly Bean material in zBrush. Check it out on the first page!
Old 25-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #57
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
is there a shader that lets you render with the shader applied?

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #58
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
I'm 99% certain the answer to that is no.

you can bung your maps in a material in the submaterial slot of the DX shader and that will render using whatever renderer you have active but there's no way to render the DX shader itself that I'm aware of.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #59
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
i usually just 'print screen' or make a 1-frame animation preview (animation preview allows you to get an alpha if you need it)
but no, they can't be rendered. but why do they need to be? they are right there in front of you being rendered at a blazing 30 or so fps
Old 27-12-2008, 02:58 AM   #60
gaboon

Well hey there Mr. "Of the Eleventh Province"
I snatched up all your awesome shaders as soon as I saw them. You have been quite busy. I can't seem to get the shadows working. I am using Max 2008. I tried different types of lights with different shadow types. Any advice?