>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 27-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #61
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
have you turned on shadows in the viewports ?

you need to right click > enable shadows on the lights you want to cast shadows

omnis with mapped shadows work fine.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #62
gaboon

Yeah, tried it with all different types of shadows also. With spot and Omni.Don't know.
Old 29-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #63
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
do you have the "enable shadows" checkbox turned on under the lights' modifier tab?
And do you have the shader's "shadowCasters" set to those lights?
And lastly, sometimes max will use the default lights for shadows. So, make sure your scene is being lit with the scene lights instead of default lights (i think the hot key is L or ctrl-L or alt-L....something with L)
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #64
gaboon

Yes, yes, and yes. I don't know. Anything else I could try?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #65
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
try this - select all of your lights, right click in the viewport, and find "Enable Viewport Shadows Selected"
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #66
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Total Awards: 4
Hey, how are things? I've been playstationing it for a few weeks now and just left the work alone. Best catch up with it now Anyways, I have a question for you, I've been making this gun model and want explore the best ways of making it. I know I want to stick it in this shader, but I've come across a small hitch. I've been told that it's best to bake out world normal maps instead of tangible ones for inorganic models... I think thats the correct term, I'll double check that, but I'm sure you know what I'm on about, the thing is, it seems that your shader doesn't like them much, anyway around that?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #67
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
"tangent" normals are what you are referring to. Yeah, it would be possible to alter the code a tad to make the shader use world-space normals instead. I'll look into it.

In the meantime, I have a toon shader that is near completion that I will upload a little later.

Last edited by Buzzy; 06-01-2009 at 02:26 AM..
Old 06-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #68
gaboon

That was it dude! Thanks !
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #69
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
world space normals are only any good if the object doesn't move.

afaik there's no benefit to using them over tangent space normals - I can't see why there would be

Old 06-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #70
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Well, you wouldn't actually use world space normals....you'd use object space normals. Practically the same thing, but object space would allow the object to move. Because they aren't tangents, they won't work if the model is deformed with a skin modifier or something, but that doesn't matter since, in theory, this would only be used for single hard models.

Otherwise, I can see the benefit. Tangent space normals are relative vectors, where object or world space normals are absolute vectors. That means that the smoothing of the model doesn't matter at all, so you can avoid the inevitable "weirdness" that you get around hard edges.

Last edited by Buzzy; 06-01-2009 at 03:43 PM..
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #71
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
"tangent" normals are what you are referring to. Yeah, it would be possible to alter the code a tad to make the shader use world-space normals instead. I'll look into it.

In the meantime, I have a toon shader that is near completion that I will upload a little later.
Quote:

Otherwise, I can see the benefit. Tangent space normals are relative vectors, where object or world space normals are absolute vectors. That means that the smoothing of the model doesn't matter at all, so you can avoid the inevitable "weirdness" that you get around hard edges.

Awesome, I think that was what I was thinking of (object space normals) as you are spot on with the description above. If we can get the enabled, this shader is becoming increasingly more versatile.

Looking forwards to the toon shader too.

Last edited by Chung Wong; 07-01-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Chung Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #72
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Quote:

ah, that makes sense.

I are corrected

Old 14-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #73
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Hey, how you doing? Anyways, still enjoying your shader and seeing what I can get out of it. This is the latest piece of work I got out of it.

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=Beauty-2.jpg

Any word on the toon shader? Looking forwards to it Will be looking to use this shader for the dom wars. Will make sure you get credited for it

Last edited by Chung Wong; 14-01-2009 at 02:39 AM..
Chung Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #74
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Really really nice gun Chung. Great work!
I actually have the toon shader ready to go, I just kind of forgot to post it. So I will do that tonight.

BTW, are you entering the low-poly comp or are you saving yourself for DW4?
Old 14-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #75
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Thanks dude

Oh, yeah, I'm getting ref images now to get the ideas flowing. Should be entering both the low poly challenges. Need to work on speed. I always seem to start well, but find it difficult to finish off models. I keep on working on them and never know when to stop. I know I've said this before but these shaders that you keep devolping are a Godsend! I really hope to do it justice in the dom wars

Also, I'd like to ask you, as your shader doesn't render both sides, how do I go about doing hair and stuff like that? It's been bothering me a little.