>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Myths and Legends - Nov 2009 > Speed Modelling - "Legendary Weapon"

Old 15-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Ibbo

SMC M#01 - Ibbo - Legendary Weapon - Spear

Hi guys,

I've been eager to try something like this for a while now, so i've decided to throw my lot in and get modelling.

My spear is pretty simple at the moment, although I've still got over 30 minutes left of modelling time and i'm hoping to paint some nice normal maps (lots of Celtic/Norse patterns) for detail.

I'm not entirely sure which legend the spear is from- although I'm working on some Viking characters in another project who are all partially inspired by the Norse pantheon. My intention was for this to be Odin's 'Gungnir', although I see another forum memeber has already nabbed that particular myth!

Hopefully the more I work on the detail, the better idea of a back story I'll get!

Any suggestions/crit's are more than appreciated.

-Ibbo
Ibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Krazy8

Send a message via AIM to Krazy8
Hey! Sorry about nabbing Gungnir from ya haha. Well anyways is this going to be a thrusting spear or throwing spear because it looks like a thrusting spear with the two fins on the side. I look forward to seeing it all finished!
Krazy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Ibbo

Hi Krazy8. One of the reasons i'm keeping the shaft short at this stage is because anything longer will take more time to detail with normal maps, and also looks a bit boring (as there is only so much you can do with a pole of wood). At the moment I can envisage this as more of a short-range thrusting weapon, but I may lengthen it once i've got some of the details in.

As for the details- I was hoping to work in some kind of wolf theme, just like Gungnir! Maybe adapt the cross bar near the blade to encorperate two wolf heads or something (this all depends on how quickly I can model them).

-Ibbo
Old 15-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Krazy8

Send a message via AIM to Krazy8
I really like the blade on yours. When I was going to redo mine I was thinking of going along the same lines as the size and shape of your blade lol. I'll figure something out.
Krazy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Ibbo

I was actually considering making the blade slightly thinner- if it was to be thrown I doubt a blade that wide would penetrate very far (if at all through armor)!

-Ibbo
Old 18-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
Ibbo

A quick update, which has more or less finished any remaining modelling time. I've UV unwrapped everything so now its just a case of designing the celtic themes for the actual spear tip and rings. I'm considering adding perhaps 1-2 details but with less than 5 minutes of modelling time remaining, I'm not sure what it will look like.

As per usual, all criticisms and suggestions are appreciated.

-Ibbo
Old 20-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
czacen

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: 100 posts Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 03 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 3
Hi Ibbo. I liked how the design has been well planned to showcase the textures that will come later. I have a small suggestion for what you could do with your remaining 5 mins. I think this idea will also flow with the textures that come later. Perhaps you can hang 2 cloth war banners from the rings at the top of the spear. The banners don't need to be very large. Just wide enough with some text or patterns on them. It will make the weapon a little more dynamic and shouldn't be that hard to do in the time left. I'm looking forward to see the final textured piece.

Machine Blog
czacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Ibbo

Hi Czncen, and thanks for your comments. I think your right that the model still needs something extra, and your banner/cloth idea would fit nicely. I think I'm going to work on the textures and then re-visit the idea once I'm done. Hopefully I'll have a better idea of what I'll need to finish the model!

-Ibbo
Old 25-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
looks very good, I like the overall shape and details,
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Ibbo

Thanks hammering3D. Unfortuantely i've been really busy with some other paid projects, and don't think I'll be able to get this one in on time. Still, it was fun and I've learnt alot. Looking forward to the next challenge where I'll hopefully have a bit more time!

-Ibbo