>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge

Old 16-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #61
Intervain

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Goblin mechanic made it to the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
Intervain, you're not screwed ( 6 months is since January ).

bryzol, please carefully read what I have here, it will hopefully answer your dillema. And there was not just one incident, it was a repeat offense, because we were too lenient.

We have been having the boom of new artists coming with the Sculpt Challenge. That is wonderful news.

As you may have noticed, there were some bannings made, due to the fact that voting was heavily abused upon. When we approached the matter charismatically, we were only scorned and accused of such feats that it even caused some valuable long lasting members of the community to depart ( be it momentarily, I hope ). We shall be more cautios, and less tolerant of rule-breaking from now on.

New members can vote if they have a valid entry in the competition they are voting for. So if new artists want to join the competition, please do, and your vote will add to the whole. If you're not a sculpter, but you've got 6 months history here and 50 posts ( sorry to say the 20, then 50 posts rule, turned out for the worse, so this modification is deemed necessary ), which means you've been around the forum and are an active member, then you can vote too, and make your opinions clear to all.

I find this extremely fair. Having a select panel of judges would quickly be seen as subjective and corrupt. Having only the moderators do the voting is wrong even in my eyes. But we cannot let the system be made a mockery of by new comers that hope to achieve more than they can by normal ethic means and following the rules laid out. Such people are one in a million, but we've seen it only takes one to turn a lot of things sour.

End of story. I hope you all react to this maturely and after having taken into consideration our situation.
This does NOT affect participants of the competition.

I was refering to the awards suggestion

sounds good and fair in IMHO!
Old 16-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #62
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I don't like to bring this up.... Well, there were two user accounts (that I know of) who did nothing but post comments without substance ("looking good.") into WiP and final artwork threads to reach the post limit, and vote on these challenges. According to Freespace-3DT, these two accounts were operating from the IP address - saying it raises strong suspicion of sockpuppetry (wikipedia) would be an understatement. These accounts were already active on challenge #004, and one of them was banned immediately (both their votes were deleted and not counted, by the way). The other one tried the same strategy on #005 but did not succeed, either (I think he is still waiting for a ban, by the way). You know the rest of the story if you've read this thread from the beginning. On a side note, no other (eligible) voters can be confirmed to be sockpuppets IMHO - in dubio pro reo.

Long story short, we don't think badly of the people who recently joined the forums, we would just like to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. Anyway, we are only talking about the voting. You are free to participate, and if you did, you are also allowed to vote.

-edit: ugh, Freespace beat me to it.
You're right. But the stuff started since competition 003, and I've been on their tails ever since. Other mods were involved since, and it's a long long story with many characters and love triangles.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #63
gnome
Stray Soul

Send a message via ICQ to gnome Send a message via MSN to gnome
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Wrestling Move'' 
Total Awards: 3
Oh. Right. I only remembered this and this, but I didn't know which challenge it was, so I assumed it was the previous one.
Old 16-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #64
Ordibble Plop
High fiddlety

On the topic of voting, I would like to suggest a possible new rule:

That all participants in the challenge must vote to be eligible to win.

Given that entrants cannot vote for themselves, not voting could be an exploit to deprive possible competitors of points. In my opinion it is also rather rude. Really it would have little impact on most people as can be seen from the voting history, but it would stimey those who would exploit it.

I realize there would be exceptions - for example, if people go away after the sculpting part and don't have access to the internet to vote - but would this occur that often?

Hopefully this wouldn't add too much extra complexity.

And my apologies if this is innapropriate coming from a low-post nobody
Ordibble Plop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #65
bryzol
Konrad Kielczykowski

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #8 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: I was second place in the Lost Jungle Sculpting Challenge (Amazon Warrior)Challenge. The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 4
I haven't have an idea that "the stuff" started since SCh 003. Well, some people can realy amaze me with their goals and determination to achieve those goals.
bryzol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #66
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Hey Ordibble Plop.
You're not a low-post nobody. Nobody's a low-post nobody until they've made a fool of themselves.

That was an idea that we considered way before the challenges started, when we were putting the rules together. But it TRULY IS something that complicates things a bit, and some people might not vote after posting their sculpts. Disqualifying them for that is a pity. And the exceptions you mentioned, how do we deal with those? Everyone might say they've had to go away, in order to avoid disqualification after not voting. I'm not saying they WILL, I'm saying it's a loop-hole.

Thanks for the input, ideas are always welcome and will be considered. The competitions are for YOU guys, after all.

bryzol: Yeah, if only they'd spend that energy to actually compete, they might win it fairly.

Old 16-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #67
gnome
Stray Soul

Send a message via ICQ to gnome Send a message via MSN to gnome
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Wrestling Move'' 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordibble Plop View Post
Hey, you participated in three challenges!
As to your suggestion - people can always vote on entries which have no chance in their opinion, so that rule would not really solve that problem. But I think it's not much of an issue if there are enough entries, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzol View Post
I haven't have an idea that "the stuff" started since SCh 003. Well, some people can realy amaze me with their goals and determination to achieve those goals.
Don't underestimate our moderation team. And me reporting suspicious spammers to them
Old 16-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #68
bryzol
Konrad Kielczykowski

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #8 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: I was second place in the Lost Jungle Sculpting Challenge (Amazon Warrior)Challenge. The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 3rd Place 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Don't underestimate our moderation team. And me reporting suspicious spammers to them
On the contrary! I appreciate that very much
bryzol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 02:21 AM   #69
Aleks
Silky smooth

Send a message via ICQ to Aleks Send a message via MSN to Aleks
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My latest model got plugged. The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzol View Post
I'd punch those guys right in the face if I met them No more mr.Nice Guy...

P.S. Sorry for the major off-topic,but God this is so hilarious! Nice one,Freespace I should really pay more attention to that thread...
Old 16-07-2008, 02:27 AM   #70
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Hehehe, I loved that picture too!

Old 16-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #71
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Hey Freespace, thanks for the kudos, and yes it has been quite some time. In fact you weren't even a mod the last time we conversed I do believe. Seems the title fits you well though, as you look to be handling the spam voters quite well.

In regards to voting, I think it would be a real shame to take that privilege away from the forum members. I think it's important for the sculptors to do the voting, as the winners are not selected by a random set of judges, but by our own peers who also went through the competition. I think the issue of cheaters has been dealt with, but the idea that judging is going to be bias free, or that people will not be able to find any advantages in the current system is a flawed one. We can't be obsessed with fixing every possible hole.

I think the current system works fine, (though, I certainly don't mind adding the 6th month rule as well), and it's just an issue of eliminating votes of people who attempt to cheat the system. Other than kicking up a bit of a fuss, this seems to be working just fine.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 03:20 AM   #72
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Puckducker, I have been trying to reach you for a while now. can you please check your pm's thankyou.
sorry people i had to post here, he does not check his messages or is just ignoring me
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #73
Honki
if you're horni

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: For creating his wonderful  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
Honki - Hell yeah, set me up with the drinks meet you there!
No worries!

But if you want to drink Tennents, then I'm afraid you'll be buying your own

My favourite strip club sells XXXX (fourex!)
Honki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #74
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Anything's better than Carling that tastes like fizzy pi55.

Sorry for the offtopic.

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #75
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Quote:
On the topic of voting, I would like to suggest a possible new rule:

That all participants in the challenge must vote to be eligible to win.

Given that entrants cannot vote for themselves, not voting could be an exploit to deprive possible competitors of points. In my opinion it is also rather rude. Really it would have little impact on most people as can be seen from the voting history, but it would stimey those who would exploit it.

I realize there would be exceptions - for example, if people go away after the sculpting part and don't have access to the internet to vote - but would this occur that often?

Hopefully this wouldn't add too much extra complexity.

Just a thought on this idea: although it's a nice idea, i think that if people purposely want to try and "play the game" to make their competitors lose and help themselves win by not voting at all, then they could simply - if forced to vote - vote for those images that are less likely to win anyway. So it wouldn't really change anything, I don't think. I think the no less than 50 posts and a 6-month minimum time period here will be the best way to go! I don't think making voting compulsory will have a good affect though, and it will start to make things waaaay more complicated than they are already. And after all: these things are supposed to be fun, right? If we impose too many rules then we may just drive people away. Hope this all sounds fair! Chat to you later... back to work
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote