>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Digital Painting

Old 22-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
washka Ghost Town

Let's start this one with some old sketch I did three years ago.
You can help me by choosing three ghost from those.

There won't be a lot of colors for this one, dark and gloooomy!
Attached Images

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
shanmatte30

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''The Lonely Soldier'' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''The Lonely Soldier'' 
Total Awards: 2
Smile

Hi Washka....nice start...
shanmatte30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
CHAO5

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 5
hi mate.... i like 3, 9, and 11. looks a nice start so keep working
cheers
Old 22-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Thanks for comments guys, so:
2:+1
3:+1
6:+1
8:+1
9:+1
11:+1
Still need some more opinion about which ghost, feel free to vote.
Here is my actual work and some color/layout test:
Attached Images

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
Old 24-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
dark-blast
Headbangers

hi nice start! I choose ghost no. 3
http://dark-blast.deviantart.com
dark-blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Dude; I love the atmosphering you're setting up. It's really weird, and very spooky I also like the literal appreciation for the term, "Ghost Town". That's inspired bro.

Anyway, ghost votes: I like
no.5
no.10
no.8
no.2

Those guys definitely stand out to me. All of 'em have character though - you've got quite a style! Keep it up man - wanna see ya at the finish line!

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Glub!

Thanks, dark-blast and VinsanityV20 for comm's, your ghost vote will help me a lot for the selection.
A friend of me voted (3,5 and 10)
So with your votes now we've got:
2:+2
3:+3
5:+2
6:+1
8:+2
9:+1
10:+2
11:+1
Now voting time is finished, number 3 ghost is THE winner followed by 2-5-8-10 second ones, and the third category ones are 6-9-11.
In fact I need 7 ghost so numbers 3,2,5,8,10,6,11 are now choosen! Yiiihaa!
Thanks for participating in this inner competition with no prizes but a lot of fun and more soon.

VinsanityV20, litteral is fitting, but from now there will be two images: one with the 7 ghosts (black and white and some little color touch, it'll be a "funny" one), and the second one will my colors work. This last one is even more litteral because the city itself is a ghost. WOoOoo!

About the WIP, so here's the color construction of the landscape, my perspective correction...
In fact this perspective correction was a big lost of time because I didn't liked the result of "the good perspective one", so I restarted my work from an older "wrong perspective one" that I tried to correct a bit. I'm stupid I should have started my work with perspective lines. You can even beat me for that!
The last one is my actual colors one, I'm sure I'll continue to details on this one and add some stuuf but I won't touch/change more the global composition again. I decided to fix it (the composition) with fast hard glue and chains, yeah!
No! Don't even think about it! Maybe I should add some random undisable frozing traps...Just in case.

Attached Images

Old 28-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
hey washka!
nice progress, I like the work of composition and colors, including shades of grass. You feel the traditional technique of painting. I look forward to the ghosts...
Old 28-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
blub

Thanks for comm's chris_solo!
Yes, that's the way I wanted to do it, "kinda traditional", just two brushes and lot's of colors.
Hey man, what's up? I'm sad you're not onto the comp' I feel a bit lonely here , (just like a ghost), so where have you been lonely soldier?

Here are some more WIP, color test, details, seems it's nicely going to some underwater mood, but nothing fixed yet. Now we're entering last stage, the final blast off!
Attached Images

Old 29-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Quote:
Originally Posted by washka View Post
Thanks for comm's chris_solo!
Yes, that's the way I wanted to do it, "kinda traditional", just two brushes and lot's of colors.
Hey man, what's up? I'm sad you're not onto the comp' I feel a bit lonely here , (just like a ghost), so where have you been lonely soldier?
hahaha!! I think trying to make beautiful things ... I look...others, I invent future ideas.
I participate in a mini challenge on Gameartisans, but I'm not going to end ... compete with the top end of the sculptors gave no chance for worms like me
anyway I finished my model but I don't present for the final.
so I look at the competition here on the challenge game character is really successful, projects are really interesting!!

see you washka
Old 29-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Good ideas can help you to make beautifull things. You've just given me one.
It's hard to compete against pro, and they're quite good on gameartisans...
Some sick monsters there. o_O
But, I like this attitude, and hey, that's how you can improve, no? I'll go look at your thread.
So the game character challenge is good? I've missed that, I'll go look for it too.
By the way, do you think there will be a dominance war this year?
[Edit]
Just been to GA, I don't know your nickname there, and I've seen DWV is coming soon!
Ooooh yeaaah!
Hey chris_solo Will you be on "da big war comp"?
If you are, I hope we'll be in the same "first line pushing squad", maybe I could watch your back, and we would kill them all, even da big masters!
Just another idea.

Last edited by washka; 29-01-2010 at 10:22 PM..
Old 30-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
On the thread of Warlock, I discussed with him and apparently there will be a fifth and final edition!! I'm in, it will be in the same team I think...., unless if I go to GA...
it will still take pleasure!!! hmm what do you think bunny ?
(for info, I have the same avatar on GA but with the name jeronimo!
Old 30-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Just some cleaning

Just cleaning and some details for the ghosts...
Can't upload .png, that's sooo sad.
Attached Images

Old 30-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Hello again

So, I had some interesting idea, and I'll try something else while I still got some more time. Maybe I won't finish what I wanted to do, but I can't waste VinsanityV20's interesting ghost mood reference stuff, I got too much inspiration from it. Photos comes from michaeljohngrist
There will be 4 evolutive steps using reference photos I've already choosen, then maybe one ore more detailing/fix steps.
I'll try to post those steps each 2-3 hours, black and white.
Here's the first step, this thing is a city:
Attached Images

Old 30-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Here

Ok, second step, I was quick on this one, but missing details, I'll just use more time for polishing, here are ref photos from same site, and how turned my speed, need to make some corrections on background:
Attached Images