>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 28-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
albertolindesign

REELS > general question

Hi everyone. So I finished my second reel a few weeks ago, and Ive had a few questions I just can't seem to find the answer to.
1 - Are reels supposed to be a yearly thing? Should I be posting my 2011 reel, 2012 reel, 2013 etc etc?
2- Are reels supposed to be your best work PERIOD, or your best work for just that year?

any insight is much appreciated.
albertolindesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
McKronic
Lighter/Compositor

Send a message via MSN to McKronic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the Low-Poly Challenge #28B - Vehicle 
Total Awards: 3
If you want to stay on top of things you can make a reel every year but if you're getting consistent work then you might not need to. I work with lots of people who haven't created a reel in over 5 years.

In regards to what work to put on it, you should put any work that show cases your skills. If you feel something is starting to look a little dated and doesn't stand up to your newer work then you should probably cut it. You want a consistent quality across your reel, you shouldn't be throwing work on just to fill it up time.

2009 Demo on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QaxYcy6VBI
McKronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
albertolindesign

McKronic, I see. So the system should be just one reel, with your best work on it? Not to have multiple really short reels for every year with the best work you had for that reel? That must be right because it sounds much better than what Ive been doing lol
Old 28-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
McKronic
Lighter/Compositor

Send a message via MSN to McKronic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the Low-Poly Challenge #28B - Vehicle 
Total Awards: 3
Yah, your reel should be a compilation of your absolute best work over the last few years. They should really only be a minute or so at most with the first 30 seconds being some killer work. You also have to consider the job your applying for, you may want to make specific reels for different positions. Do you have a link to your current reel?

2009 Demo on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QaxYcy6VBI
McKronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
albertolindesign

yeah, lol. You didnt like it much Youre not alone though, most people didnt comment on it. I just havent got any killer work yet. Here is the reminder: http://vimeo.com/36026823
Old 28-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
well in my opinion this reel is not bad. not wery good but not bad . there were some parts that i liked and there were parts that p@$% me . most of the models were good but i couldnt see them clear cause of speed of animation or low res videos. try to show all the details they have. if its from some comertial work that wirte that is a project x or client x .

as about stuff you should show in your reel : if you are not a professional that relieces lots of projects a year and can make his reel only from the past year. than do some kind of retrospective of the past year.
if you're a nonprofessional that tries to break in to the idustry - show only the best stuff you have. those who looks at your reel doesnt care when it was made - they care for the qualitie they are aming to.
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
albertolindesign

Paulius: That brings up an interesting issue. The reel should be quick and short. Isnt it fair to assume that if someone has interest in any particular work in my reel, that they would look it up in my website? All my work is available? Thats what I do when I look at everyone else's reel. But I dont hire people, and I dont have to watch 100 reels a day...so the curiosity.