>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 27-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #46
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
you're missing a star dude - I've done my part towards it...

how are you going to handle knobbly reptilian skin ? I ask because I'm not really sure how I should be going about skin texturee on my pitiful effort
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #47
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Ha, thx poopipe, 'ppreciate it! Wow, I finally have 5 stars on my thread... nice!
I don't intend to make his skin knobby and reptilian... during the course of this project, I've decided he's going to be much more amphibious, like a newt, eel, salamander, etc. Check out the Hellbender Salamander, this was a huge source of inspiration, particularly because it's bigger than the other amphibians, and it looks like a bag of skin.
I'm really going for that skin-bag look, so I might continue to push that a bit... he's going to have albino, semi-translucent skin, so I want his skin to be generally smooth and slimy looking, so he'll have a high reflection and specular level.
I plan on completing the tweaking of the normal maps tonight, and rendering all that stuff out. This weekend I'll be working on normal mapping his various items, like his knife, lamp and stuff. Tonight I'll show the updated version, complete with finished loincloth, etc.
Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone!
Conejo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #48
Crab People

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: I was second place in the Archangel Sculpting Challenge. The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
This is looking really cool. I like that you are starting to get that lizard look to his skin. I think you could go even further with it, maybe have it sag a little more in some areas to make the skin seem even heavier. Check out the skin on this guy's neck -
Attached Images

DWIV THREAD
Crab People is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #49
redonix76
3DT 4 Life

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I agree with CrabPeople. More folds around the neck liek that pic would be nice. as long as you don't overdo it though.

Also the way his proportions and style is, I think his belly although saggy, seems a little flat. It looks good from the front right now, but if you look at the 3/4 view, the belly looks a bit flat. Maybe you can pop it out just a bit? I think that will finish off that area pretty well.

Keep up the great work!!

-Portfolio-
-DWV-

Last edited by redonix76; 28-03-2008 at 12:37 AM..
redonix76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 04:39 AM   #50
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Puckducker- I agree with you on the face, so I've put more into the face... what do you think?

Redonix- I felt the same way about the stomach, but I was unsure of how to remedy that... I think I've done better, should I push it even further, or do you think he's fine? I don't want to make him actually fat, just a bit flabby.

Crab People- I've pushed out some of the lines on his neck, trying to keep that up that look... opinion?

I decided to wait until I put the tribal scarring/tattoos on him until later... I'll know where to put it best later, when I've seen the model with all the clothing and jewelry, etc.

Also, apparently Zmapper doesn't work with ZBrush 3?! What do I need to do?? Should I be using XNormal for this? Someone help me, I need a way to render cavity maps and good normal maps for this, and now I feel lost..
Attached Images

Last edited by Conejo Blanco; 28-03-2008 at 05:03 AM..
Old 28-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #51
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Hi Conejo, dang thought you knew certain features werent working in ZB3. Im busy until 1pm gmt but after that feel free to add me on MSN and Ill offer some advice. But go get Xnormal as Im sure that will sort your normal probs out. Talk 2 u l8r.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #52
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
what do you mean zmapper is not working. i use zbrush 3, mine works. i unwrap the model before i bring it to zbrush, detail it then zmap it. are you missing the 3dsmax8modifiedE.zmp file? you can also unwrap it after and have the detailing reflect onyour unwrapped model.
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #53
Marv

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I use Zbrush 2 when i want to use ZMapper. I just export the model from ZB3 (highest subdiv) and import it into ZB2. I then use the Reconstruct subdiv option and reconstruct it back to lowest subdiv, then use Zmapper. Works perfectly.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #54
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Marv-
I did the exact same thing, except I encountered one problem, the torso wasn't able to reconstruct more than 1 subdiv level... however, apparently you can just import the high res model and capture that, then import the lowest rez, and in zmapper tell the lowest rez version to work off the captured high-rez... sounds roundabout, but it's actually working pretty well for me!
Old 30-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #55
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
My girlfriend left town this weekend, so I've got a whole weekend to myself. Do I go out and have fun with my friends? No! (well, maybe, from 8:30 to 11, but then back to work!) I work on Dominance War! Way to go, nerd dedication.

Today I did a lot of work on the texture, but it mainly involved rendering out ambient occlusion maps, normal maps, etc, and then slapping down base textures. Steamtrooper, I never ended up using Xnormal, even though I downloaded it and it's sitting on my desktop as we speak... so I promise to get around to it, it's just that for the time being CrazyBump was my program of choice.

Here's something I did tonight, and I'll probably include a shot of the entire WIP Monday or Tuesday. Tonight I pretty much concentrated on the knife, and started the lamp, which I plan on finishing tomorrow. I decided that I doubt anyone will notice it, but I engraved an eye onto the knife, because I thought the blind Nahazcoatl would think of his knife as the part of him that "sees" it's target. Not a big update, but it's something.
Attached Images

Old 30-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #56
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Nice. The dagger looks great, has a real nice bronze feel to it (beyond the actual bronze looking shader you used of course). The details on the head are working better now too.

About zMapper in z3, is it just not working properly, or is it not there at all? zMapper wasn't included in the base z3 release, it was a pluggin released later on pixologic's website. It's included in the 3.1 update though. If you don't have the update or the pluggin zMapper won't be in z3.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #57
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Puckducker-
thx for the input! As for zMapper, it won't work at all.. trying to use it crashes Zbrush. I tried updating ZBrush, but no dice. It's not a big deal though, my current setup is working nicely for me and I'll just keep up with that... plus, CrazyBump is a quality program.
Here's what I've been working on today... the Darkness Lamp. When lit, this artifact casts darkness, and in a world of darkness, only Nahazcoatl can really see, right? Anyways, it looks better here than it will probably look in the end, since it's got such a nice bronze shader, but hey, no harm done, right? The real thing, when I texture it, might be silver, depending on how the entire color scheme is working out... Anyways, I hope you guys like it!
Attached Images

Old 30-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #58
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Looking great Conejo, youve realy caught the look of an ancient artifact there. And the logo looks totally at home in the design, nice work, Id go with Bronze personally as I think it would look more solid and suit the design more than silver, plus it might be more complementary to the amphibreptiliman type colour scheme.

The casting faults and damage are a nice touch by the way.

Ive got crazybump to compare results with Xnormal, Ill check it out thoroughly tomorow.

Good luck chap

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 30-03-2008 at 10:35 PM..
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #59
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
that looks superb, i wanna get a real lamp like that. also something funny, the robots can probably see in the dark with night vision hahah. nothing against your design hehe.
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #60
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Haven't updated in a while, but I've been really busy... and the deadline is stressing me out, especially because I have to go on a trip with my girlfriend next weekend, so I'll have to finish a day or two early... anyways, here's the texture-work THUS FAR, there is NO specular map, and no normal map other than the one I exported from ZBrush, so those should both help a lot too. Also, obviously there are several pieces I haven't even started to make, but if I could get criticism and feedback and such on what I HAVE done, I'd appreciate it!
So basically he's an albino amphibian... whatever suggestions you guys can think of to help me get that across, I'd appreciate it!
Attached Images