>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #61
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Total Awards: 2
Hiya Conejo, love the texture on the glove, that should pop right out with a nice spec on it. The loincloth is being looked at Im guessing. Im doing abit of research for you into albino stuff while Im waiting for my other comp to process my final BIG normal maps. Ill post some links later if I find something usefull but heres a quick one you probably already have anyway..

The African Clawed frog is the most fitting in my opinion.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3D2%26hl%3Den

http://arachniaenterprises.com/arach...img017-500.jpg

This one would have suited mine.. http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3D2%26hl%3Den

Eye http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1350/...328331f3_m.jpg

What Ive seen so far in amphibians makes me think you should experiment a little with a very low intensity Self Illumination map, just to give it that soft edge glow that SSS would have been so usefull for, and although I love your skin textureing, I think youve missed just the right shade of white, you know the one that screams GHASTLY. Maybe a bit of very subtle, almost mint green and something on the other side of Ittens wheel - maybe a dotting of almost non visible orange to balance the poles.

The Eye!- Im looking into that, Im trying to find some nice refs. Right now top of my head Id say a Great white sharks eye would fit nicely but If I get a better idea Ill post.

Good luck

But Im just being picky, its looking dang nice and Im sure you have it in hand.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 03-04-2008 at 11:22 PM..
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #62
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
this one's managed to pass by me unnoticed until now!.. not sure how I have missed such great work great sculpting work, and characteristic design. texture work is looking good so far. my only suggestion would be, I personally would imagine the character with a more 'scaled' form of skin...

the bronze artifacts are really nice design. keep up the good work
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #63
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
its looking good but cant really see anything. post more with no lighting(default) or better lighting.
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:14 AM   #64
Crab People

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: I was second place in the Archangel Sculpting Challenge. The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Looks Great! I like the changes you made to his skin around the neck! The texturing is coming along nicely as well. The only area I do not like is the cloth around his waist, it has a pattern on it that seems distracting. His skin looks very good. Keep up the good work!

DWIV THREAD
Crab People is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #65
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Thx for your great feedback everyone!

Steamtrooper: That axolotl, or "African clawed frog," was actually the animal that inspired this entire thing! They're half-horrible, half-adorable, and i knew I needed to make mine repulsive... plus I don't like to do a complete half man half creature, of course, I like to mix up the features, but that's so funny that you happened upon that animal immediately.

That's very interesting what you had to say about the illumination, I didn't even think of that, but considering I was thinking an illumination map for the lamp head anyways, this is perfect... I could do that around the thinner parts...
I like the eye ref you had, I think I'll do something like that.
And Steam, EXCELLENT color feedback... that's just about as helpful a comment as I could want, thank you!

Lexicon- Thx, I know the raptor-like head made a lot of ppl think of scales, but I'm going to do my best to make the skin very soft looking, but I totally get you.

Crab people, the cloth around his waist is REALLY placeholder... it's actually going to be alpha'd netting, and the brown pattern you see is my placeholder for the actual net.

Thx everyone, I'll include updates as I go, definitely looking forward to more constructive feedback!
Conejo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #66
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Another update... slowly it's taking shape... I intend to kill myself this weekend working non-stop on the texturing, so you'll see a few more updates.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #67
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
one word

niiiiice!
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #68
newhere
Work, art and videogames

Send a message via AIM to newhere
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: or participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band'' 
Total Awards: 7
me like a lot.
"Life is like a video game that you have to play seriously. You can't just push the start button if you fail and come back in with everything you know or everything you have gained over a period of time."
~Newhere~

Angel Mars (Nudity)
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=75414
Queen's Blade Vol. 12 ~ Cattleya
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=62172
Dominance War V - God Of Enlightenment:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82875
newhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #69
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Great stuff Conejo, youve not left a lot to suggest or crit.

Have you got the Illum map on? cant tell what with the spec added.

Going in with a toothcomb Id say the knife handle is looking just a tad plastic like.

Have you considered putting a grid of specular highlights throught the netting loingcloth? It might just add some depth. And you might want to try adding some FAKE shadows into the legs under that area to create the illusion or maybe even use ambient occlusion to get the same effect. Faking it could work if you just throw some very vague line work onto the legs and blend it to nothing at the sides.

Oh! edit - I spotted something. Maybe turn the Red up in the mouth a bit as its getting washed out a little in my opinion.

Are you gonna be usng AO anyway? just out of interest. Looks like your prety much done? Im still hacking away at my colour scheme, primarily Tan with re,blue,yellow and some white but still no great breakthrough so any suggestions and refs welcome.

Good luck mate Id say your top 50 no question, after that its hard to say as there will be many late showers and some spectacular last minute stuff Im guessing.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 04-04-2008 at 11:37 PM..
Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #70
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Hey Steamtrooper-
Thx for the kind words, but I'm not even close to finished! I'll be spending all today and all day tomorrow working on this guy, and then Monday-Thursday making the pedestal, lighting, rigging, rendering, etc. So I'm still in deep trouble.
As per your suggestion, I WILL be using an illumination map, though it's not on at the moment. A lot of the above items haven't been textured at all, like the knife, lamp, necklace, netting... in fact, most things... and today I intend on working 80% of the day on his skin, which is slowly looking better but has a long way to go.
I'll definitely provide an update in about 6 hours or so.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #71
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre 
Total Awards: 11
This guy would fit really well in "Planet of The Apes" movie, but with lizards instead
Cool work dude. That has come a long way!

Ugga!
DD
Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 AM   #72
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo Blanco View Post
So I'm still in deep trouble.
I'll definitely provide an update in about 6 hours or so.
Your doing fine, better than fine, I think anything from this point on is just the iceing on the cake for the fella.

Get texturing all roughed (avoiding fiddling too much ), then spend a few hours sorting the stand so that you dont feel so time-restrained and remember its basic lighting so the options on that are limited (for me anyhoo)and shouldnt take long, I worked my rig up during texturing quite a bit.

Render while you sleep - you must sleep at least 3 hours a day.

Well after 1.5 days of getting nowhere fast my textures are taking shape, diffuse should be done by monday, I have some last minute ZBing to do for some extra NM and AO so not so bad realy.

Rigging - ouch! Ill prob fast rig for the beauty shot, I had something in mind and unless somthing goes horribly wrong I should be ok.

And finally damn! your untextured bits look better tham my textured stuff.

Goodluck with the last stretch...feel the burn.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #73
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Steamtrooper: you've been such a huge help man, I really appreciate your constant and constructive feedback... I hope to do the same for you!

So I worked almost the entire day, and in some ways it barely shows, but I'm alright with that... I'm about to go to my girlfriend's house (she's having a party, and I haven't been there), but I figured I'd upload some shots of my work today... I'm very happy with my progress, and I intend to finish all the texturing tomorrow (then I have to rig, do the pedestal, light and render the rest of the week!), with another huge day of work. I'm tired and happy, and now I'm gonna go get a BEER.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #74
grindill
Pixel Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
That looks really great. Good work on the texturing. Now go get a beer and a little sleep.
Dominance War III entry
Low Poly Challenge #20 Vehicle - U.S.S. Constitution
grindill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #75
miclepickle

Send a message via AIM to miclepickle
nice work my friend.... even though i dont know you ..... or maybe i do! who knows? :O

Portfolio-
MCampbell3d.blogspot.com
miclepickle is offline   Reply With Quote