>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 20-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge #12 
Total Awards: 1
DWIV - 3D - Ghost-D - Untitled

Hello!
So, the time has come and Id like to make some serious damage too. I have some thoughts, some things Id love to have in my character, and also colours Id like to use. Im going to do some paintovers over the silhouette to show what Im going for a little better, but to get some critics on the idea:

I want the character to be dressed in something like diving/kosmonaut suite in 70s style, with a little crazy colours (well, 70s...) almost electric, cool equipment and details and my "magical thing" will be a lava-lamp-relic with threedy colours and logo floating inside. Well, floating logo or some body parts of his enemies (or allies) to "gather" the energy from it...

The character is human so Im going with Norms. And here Im deciding between Clericon and Stalker, because so far he could go either way. But I guess healing suits better for his clothing style (70s - peace) and I might go the "monk" way.

Heres what Ive got so far:

-here Im filling the silhouette with stuff and basemeshes for ZBrush where Ill put everything together. -

-face sculpting wip-

As you can see Im going for older person, someone with character, who has seen stuff, no noob. And yes, the ears are wip, the dont really fit the rest of the face now.

More to come, stay tuned and if you take the time to leave some comment or suggestions, Id really appreciate it.

"Inter arma silent musae"
Ghost-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Nice sculpting on the face so far. He definately has some character to him. He doesn't look too "old" at the moment, but I'm sure you are working on that.
Old 21-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
xelubest
XDS Style

Send a message via AIM to xelubest Send a message via MSN to xelubest Send a message via Yahoo to xelubest
just 1 reply...

well the ideea seems awesome... if you ahve imagination and game art skills you could really do something nice

post updates ... don't abandon the project just cause you don't recive feedbacks....

KEEP GOING !!!!!
xelubest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Mischi

Hehe, great idea. It definitely differs from the average Dom War style.

But why don't you make him more like an old war veteran who is a bit braindamaged from all the years of war? It would really suit your 70's design. You know, like getting flashbacks in different situations and won't even take off his suite at home because there could be a new mission any minute. The type of guys that are permanently talking about war and the good old times.
Good examples of this type are Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump or Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.
And when I've seen your first image the funny old man from the Advance Wars games immediately came to my mind (Link)

Just take this as an inspiration. In the end it's your decision but I would really love to see something like that

Last edited by Mischi; 21-03-2009 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Mischi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
agree with xelubest keep your right direction because the modeling suggests very good things to the futur! keep it up man!
Old 21-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge #12 
Thank you guys! I´m not going to give up. Glad you liked it, I was a little unsure about my unusual idea. I didn´t want it to be like "disqualified" because it´s not a killer in the first sight. I´d like to play a little with colours and of course emission map. As for his "personality" - I´d like to make him a person with experience, older person yet athletic, calm at every moment, skilled in silent assasinations and maybe not even regular soldier, but a person you call when it gets serious (infiltrations, murders - weird stuff). I have to admit that I was a little inspired with the assasin in Godfather III (remember the scene at the opera how the older assasin got the young twin "soldiers"? Awesome...).

mischi - thanks for the link. I don´t know the game, but the picture pretty much would fit the colours I´d like to go with. But more equipment and a some more details to the suit.

Old 21-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
jjvdb15

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
no doubt this will turn out, you never know what the judges will say so i say go for it! Cool idea, the sculpt is already looking nice.
jjvdb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
Thanks jjvdb15. I´m trying to go the "less serious", almost funny way with this character, so I hope the judges won´t get it wrong.

Here´s some "concepting":

I have some nice story for the vinyl record also, so just shortly now:

Nobody knows when and where exactly, but there was this strange item found somewhere in the ruins. Many people considered it to be some kind of relic and believed in its magical powers. Although nobody knew what it was, the relic became a heritage that had to be protected from the hands of the enemies.

And so the years flew by and this mystical item had many holders - brave guardians, best of the best. One day a guardian who was growing old had to find his successor. There was an excelent medician and occasional assasin (my character, no name yet) in the village. He knew him - they´ve met on the battlefield couple of times. It was a brave young man - man with potential. But there was also something strange about him, almost mystical. Like if his mind wasn´t on the same place with his body, but he was very bright and heedful at the same time. Long story short: Doc. got the relic.

Becoming a guardian was a serious thing, so he tried to find something about this relic he was supposed to guard with his life. And finally one day he put all the bits and pieces from the historical records from all the villages together. It was a vinyl record from the 70´s. MESSAGE FROM THE ASCENDANTS! He was fascinated. For the first time in his life, it was like if his spirit found its era. That was also the first time he found his upper-level-magical healing powers, that he later learned to keep in a lava-lamp-like weapon he self-made shortly after finding a blueprint in historical records.

And so his journey continues. But now there is only one task left for him in this land that has been destroyed by three great dominance wars for hundreds of years: Find a vinyl record player. But hey, that´s going to be piece of cake, right..?

---

That´s it for now! I believe that there are many mistakes in the text, but it´s not final yet. Although I believe I´ll need your help with correcting the text later.

Now I have to put some hard work into hipoly model and some serious thoughts in what the vinyl title is going to be. ABBA, Simon & Garfunkel, ...? Any ideas to support this recession?

Stay tuned

Last edited by Ghost-D; 02-04-2009 at 12:02 AM..
Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Ghostbrush

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: targer reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
This is such a refreshing idea, keep going with it, would like to see more dude
Ghostbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
Thank you, Ghostbrush!

Minor update, Ive been working on couple other things/projects that Ill post in other sections, but heres what Ive got sculpted so far on this guy:

Im thinking about naming him "meatball surgeon". Hell get doctor gloves and injection filled with 3d total spirit as a weapon (healing for allies, lethal injection for enemies. I always loved silent assasinations with Spy in Commandos)
Shouldnt take too long to finish sculpting session, Lowpoly + UVs 2 days max and the rest for texturing. I think I could make it in time...

Old 27-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
Update:

Shoes - placeholders for now.The clothes and the straps are not "interacting" yet, because its screenshot from early stage. Now Im going to make those two elements work together.

I was also thinking about giving him a stick, simple wooden stick like he was on a tour. Should give him more of that wise-man look and he could also use it as a weapon. And yeah, that thing on his back will be the lava-lamp-like magical weapon. Im just trying to figure how Ill adjust the straps so he could use it as casing for that l-l-l m w.

Await more soon, fellow soldiers!

Old 27-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #12
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
2 weeks GHOST, you can do it.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot for support, BigToe! This is going to be tough if I want to make it in time, but finally I moved a bit with the idea of how to continue on this one. Im not going to give him the big bag on front, Ill rather make something like a medical hand-bag. Should look better and also make more sense. Now heres what Ive got now:

Im going to put a little more muscles on him, especially on the legs. That was the part that was really holding the whole model down I guess.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
kravo

Send a message via MSN to kravo
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
cool shoes
c'mon man, you can do it!
kravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
it's really cool, i would have gone with a younger look to give it more edge that way.
it's like "spy who shagged dominance war"
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote