>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge

Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #121
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
challenge 18 is asking for its own free space freespace disagrees :P

ull have the challenge after this is sorted .

idea:
1) galaxy wide recruitment on earth (after ww4 ) for a new ruler, u gotta sculpt the applicants

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #122
Slashmore

Maybe something like "classic games characters" ? something like that, like monkey island, the day of the tentacles, lucas arts old games, etc.

Cheers
Slashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #123
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Slashmore, you're actually very very close to my next idea

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #124
Slashmore

Then, I will enter the competition!
Slashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #125
SEAL DENİZ

Send a message via MSN to SEAL DENİZ Send a message via Yahoo to SEAL DENİZ
I can think of a few ways to implement it:

1) Two separate categories (speed sculpt and long sculpt) for every sculpting challenge. For example the Dragon challenge would have had a speed sculpt and a long sculpt thread, with different constraints.

2) Two separate categories (speed sculpt and long sculpt) with their own challenges. For example the speed sculptors could be working on dragons while the long sculptors are working on something different.

3) Alternate challenges between speed and long sculpting.

4) Require speed sculpts to be part of the beginning conceptualization part of longer sculpting challenges, to teach people how to use ZBrush and Mudbox as conceptual tools as well as finishing tools. For example you make a long Dragon sculpting challenge, but require 5 minimum different conceptual speed sculpts with a 1hr cap on each.

good idea
Old 13-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #126
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
I have to say I have trouble enough finding the time to finish an 8 hour speed sculpt before the deadline, let alone a longer sculpt.
This said I would never begrudge people a longer sculpt as I would love to see the results!!
Please keep the speed sculpts to the 4 or 8 hour as it takes me that long just to get started but as SEAL has commented it might be a good idea to have a concept speed sculpt section for longer sculpts.
Bring on the next challenge!!!
gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #127
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
yeah, I've got to agree with gumby666 on this one, the thing I've enjoyed with the ssc's is the fact that I actually might have time to participate, between work and all the other crap one has to get done. Two other advantages to this way of doing things are 1: you get to quickly try out an idea and its main forms, without necessarily getting bogged down with thinking about the dude's skin pores, and 2: it kind of forces you to learn how to streamline your work process, which will be invaluable when you start actually working in the business (I'm guessing there is a good amount of younger, aspiring artists on this forum looking to be prepared for entering this line of work).

That said, I do agree with SEAL DENİZ's second suggestion that it might work great if we could have it both ways, with another section for longer term challenges. We could probably all need some new portfolio pieces every once in a while, where the ssc concepts often can't do the trick
Old 14-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #128
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
That said, I do agree with SEAL DENİZ's second suggestion that it might work great if we could have it both ways, with another section for longer term challenges. We could probably all need some new portfolio pieces every once in a while, where the ssc concepts often can't do the trick
About this, I've said before and some ssc participants have done a wonderful job at it: once you're done with your sculpt for the challenge, it's yours to take it further than the ssc timelimit allows. And there's also a slight change in the following challenge, that people might be really glad about.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #129
SEAL DENİZ

I said "good idea",what's the problem?
Old 17-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #130
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
About this, I've said before and some ssc participants have done a wonderful job at it: once you're done with your sculpt for the challenge, it's yours to take it further than the ssc timelimit allows..
I definitely agree with that, and it works out just fine just like it is in my opinion. I was just agreeing to one of SEAL DENİZ's suggestions, seeing it from his point of view if you like, as it seems that some kind of challenge or similar organized type of process works better for some people. You know, these kids today, no self discipline

Looking forward to the next one, and if its the exact same type of rules as always, I wouldn't mind that at all. Hope I'll actually have time to get into this one. Might have to go get me some of that swine flu so I get to stay home for a couple of days
Old 17-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #131
SEAL DENİZ

Look at page 8....Dustinbrown....Are you sure?....Sometimes you don't understand me.Spoilars are you reading what he said?

Last edited by SEAL DENİZ; 17-08-2009 at 05:17 PM..
SEAL DENİZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #132
Fellipe Lopes

Send a message via MSN to Fellipe Lopes
Ok Ok..... but when will start the next contest? already have a date planned?

I could not participate in the 17 for lack of time .... then I'm going insane now !!!!! hehehehehe
Old 17-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #133
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
SEAL DENIZ - Yeah I actually read that, just didn't notice that you were quoting him since you didn't put it in the quote frame thingy. My bad. The main thing I tried to convey was that I agree with gumby666 about having a hard time finding time for longer challenges, and that if something like that was to be done, that I hoped that the short format still would remain in some form.

But as previously stated, I like the ssc how it is now, and I'm excited to see what this slight change Freespace mentioned might be. And to make this post at all relevant to this thread, a topic suggestion : Terrors from the Deep, creatures from the deep blue sea. Forgive me if its been done already, I went through the old ssc's but the winner pics didn't show up on all of them for some reason.
Old 17-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #134
Pedro Toledo

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challeng  #007: 'Pirates - Past, Present & Future Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 5
Personally, I think the shorter the better, if you are talking about Speed Sculpts. Just as a sketch challenge, it should be quick.

I think 4 hours is good enough for any sketch, longer than that, to me, is a full sculpt. I think it's fine to have full sculpts challenges, of course. And I would not give any time limit for those, but if we are talking about speed sculpts, about 3d sketches, then I am totally against long time limits.

EDIT: I could swear this used to be called Speed Sculpt Challenge!?! I just realized it isn't (anymore?) Am I crazy?!?!

Manufato

Last edited by Pedro Toledo; 17-08-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Pedro Toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #135
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
damn son, I didn't realize that until you said it. Better stop referring to it as the ssc then I guess. THE sculpting challenge is a more rad name though