>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 21-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
Total Awards: 9
SMC 4 - sarN - Solar Ice Drilling Machine

hey everyone, i haven't modeled in a while but was recently inspired to go at it again. then i came by here and saw there was a competition, and since it would only take 4 hours i decided to have a go at it. i did a bunch of sketches before hand to try and detail different parts so i wouldn't have to waste time thinking while modeling.

the way this machine works is that the it will rotate its middle section while firing zee lasers and cut a section out below it. then it flies away! hooray. while maybe more of a cutter than a drill, it can focus into one laser shooter thing and drill a very fine hole for when it needs to be more accurate. it's better suited for drilling from one side of something to the other, instead of just going as deep as possible. it's mainly used for ice but there have been reports of people stealing these and trying to use them on top of banks to break in...

it's about two and a half feet tall

anyways, here are the different renders i did at different progress throughout.

as you can see, i kind of hauled ass on the last hour throwing in all those superfluous details, cloning, and arraying all the different things. i know, it looks like a flying pineapple. i can snap a phone pic of my crappy sketch page too if need be

here are the shots: 1:00, 1:45, 3:00, 4:00

time to start working on a semi-textured beauty shot
Attached Images

sarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
here are a couple of beauty shots that i've been working on. there's at least one more that i want to do.

be free!
Attached Images

Old 22-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Tiberiy

It`s look like pepelatz))))))))))))))))
Tiberiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
sarN

Awards Showcase
haha, from what i could find in pictures it seems like some sort of russian experimental spacecraft? cool!

here's the last of the beauty shots i guess, and a clearer clay render. i didn't save for web before and it compressed the crap out of it
Attached Images

Old 22-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
sarN

Awards Showcase
and here's the last... the wire and a cool wire shot that i rendered
Attached Images

Old 22-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Adrock

Awesome

The model looks awesome n cute in some way!!! Nice modeling!Cheers
Adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Tiberiy

it`s vehicle from great movie Kin-dza-dza=)
good job!
Old 22-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
sarN

Awards Showcase
thanks adrock and tiberiy

and i see, is this it from the movie?

Old 23-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Tiberiy

Yes, it is from this movie. See if you find translation =)
Old 23-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
awsome model, small and exquisitely delicate even petit i would say .
nice job sarN
Old 23-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
alfonzoaqui

Wonderful design. The retro's don't fry your sample while lifting off. And as for the sample cone, that would be enough to tell a current history of atmosphere conditions.
alfonzoaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
I like this so much, one of my favorite, that render is sooo sweeet, they are so joyful and playful in the sky. I can see them fly around in the sky, sweet
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote