>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 29-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
dave_c

when does a template become your own work?

I'm working on a Z Brush model i started off with the demosoldier model because i was pretty close to the basic shape i needed.

so my question is this, is it acceptable to use the templates? and if yes at what stage does it become your own?

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
dave_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Depends on the fair usage clause in the T&Cs or local copyright laws!

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
dave_c

the model I'm doing isn't for financial profit, at most it will be portfolio work, and now looks nothing like the original, but the polygon.....structure will be the same if you catch my drift.

i was thinking from more of an ethical/achievement point of view rather than legal one.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

Old 30-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Mr.T
lost souvlaki..

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 1
Well you can always tell that it was started from a template to clear your conscience

I always like to do everything myself to be honest, but if someone shows me
a great sculpt based on a template and tells me it was not made from scratch
I wouldn't diss his work. Especially if in the end it has nothing left from the
original template and looks like a different sculpt.

Sometimes for commercial work you don't have time to make everything from
scratch and have to find a way to avoid losing time. As long as nobody steals
people's work it's fine with me.
Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Kenhennen

Send a message via ICQ to Kenhennen Send a message via AIM to Kenhennen Send a message via MSN to Kenhennen Send a message via Yahoo to Kenhennen
simplifying:
99% of people use templates: we start from at least a box/sphere/cylinder [: only 1 percent starts from creating a lone vertex

easiest way to find out: are you able to make this template from scratch? why are you using the template?

-----
www.alsber.com
Kenhennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Generally speaking, it's when you've created "sufficient difference". I know that doesn't solve the problem but it certainly replaces it with a more tangible ambiguity.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Chances are if you are at all worried about this it is because you are using a bad template. A good template shouldn't really look like anything, it should just be easy to sculpt on. The Zbrush Demo Soldier for instance would is a terrible choice. Same goes for any of those pre-built human model applications like Poser. Why would you trust another artist creating in bulk to lay in the anatomy and proportions for you let alone work with a wire-frame that follows it?

No either make yourself a block man like Zack Petroc's or go with something like the Mudbox Body template, go wild, then Retopo and re-project when you're done. I used to be hell bent on never using templates, but then I realized the good simple ones are just more fun to sculpt with than anything I built with more intricate topology.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 02-11-2010 at 06:24 AM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
It depends what you're doing really. For pro work i'll use anything I can lay my hands on to get a job done on time and budget as long as its legal - for personal work its a different matter, ill happily re-use base meshes and bits of body I've made before but wouldn't feel right taking something someone else has built and using that in my work - I feel guilty enough using other people's custom brushes in photoshop as it is.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
In my opinion a template never "truly" becomes your own work (cubes, spheres and other primitives are excluded )

I made my own basemesh a while ago that I am using constantly so I would never have a template problem.
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
I disagree with that , if you took a basemesh of a standard human and turned it into a 4 headed lionbeast covered in big wobbly tentacles you'd be justified in claiming it was your own work.

However

Taking the basic human and adding a bunch of awesome zbrush alien details and tweaking some proportions wouldn't count - you know the sort of thing I mean, 3d forums were awash with that sort of crap a couple of years ago.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
I disagree with that , if you took a basemesh of a standard human and turned it into a 4 headed lionbeast covered in big wobbly tentacles you'd be justified in claiming it was your own work.

However

Taking the basic human and adding a bunch of awesome zbrush alien details and tweaking some proportions wouldn't count - you know the sort of thing I mean, 3d forums were awash with that sort of crap a couple of years ago.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthJake View Post
In my opinion a template never "truly" becomes your own work (cubes, spheres and other primitives are excluded
Yeah, still think it becomes your own work when you stop relying on whatever you begin with to define the look of your model. It's not fair to say a Mudbox user isn't doing his own work because he started with a very modest and flexible template when other apps like Zbrush and Sculptris let you circumvent the pre-built templates completely.

Being able to build a proper wireframe is important, both sculpting bases and meshes for animation, but for completely different reasons than reassuring yourself the model is your own work.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
dave_c

so when a model gets retopolgized does it instantly become your own work?

Old 06-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
I wouldn't exactly say that. As a point of reference we used to have quick sculpting challenges here that required us to all use the same basic base mesh. The models all turned out wildly different from one another so I'd still consider those to be the artist's own work.

What Retopo-ing does however is loose any traces of a template. At that point the wire frame becomes completely your own so why should it matter what you started with? But again it's not like I wouldn't claim a sculpt as my own work if I haven't done the retopology yet.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 06-11-2010 at 04:43 PM..
Old 12-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
Tycane3D
Dutchy of dutchnessness.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Sea Creature The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious 
Total Awards: 12
How about when the model is extremely different, and if u are able to create that template shape from scratch if needed. considering that if u have it in ur portfolio, it would be nice if u are able to not only sculpt, but also model ur base by urself and show u also master topology and unwrapping.

never use it myself, but i always start from a series of templates that i made myself at a previous occasion.
Tycane3D is offline   Reply With Quote