>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge

Old 18-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #136
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
I think 4 hours is good enough for any sketch
I agree!

I quite like the suggestion to have separate speed sculpt and detailed sculpt threads for each challenge actually, I'm gathering some thoughts from the mods on this one to see if we can work it into the challenge schedule in future.

We're going be streamlining our challenges in the near future so that everyone knows when the deadlines are, when they start, and what's going on. I welcome that day, I think the challenges have gotten a little messy with all kinds of timings and deadlines, so I'm looking forward to the improvements coming as soon as we can sort things out!

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #137
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
Can't wait for the next challenge!!
Bring it on!!!
gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #138
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
when is 18 starting does any one know ?

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #139
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
sorry for the delay, we're discussing a brand new setup for all our challenges which has all challenges housed under a one-month time schedule, with some 2-weekly challenges, too! this will mean challenges will run during the monthly courses so everyone knows when new challenges start and end, and when the voting will take place, etc. we're just working on how this is all going to work and we hope to start things off at the beginning of september! if we have to delay till october we'll post challenge #18 for you all so you have something fun to play with in the meantime

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #140
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Yay!!
gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #141
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Hold on just a little more, guys. And practice practice practice.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #142
dustinbrown

My Idea: Tutorial Challenges. Come up with a topic, as usual...say Head Sculpting Tutorial, or The Best Eyeball Tutorial Ever. The point being, not only would you be challenged to come up with a cool end product, but you would have incentive to share your techniques with the community. In my head I imagine you would get points for how cool the end product is, how well written and cohesive the written or spoken portion of the tutorial is, etc.
dustinbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #143
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Junkyard. A rather broad topic that is open to quite a bit of interpretation but I think that will actually turn out the largest number of unique entries. Junkyard...is it a dog, the actual junkyard, someone working there, some piece of equipment, etc. It the junkyard from say Sanford and Son, or is it the City Dump? is it the 1800s or 2700s? Is it a whole planet?

My 2cents

Hmm...I just realized it's not the SSC anymore either. Hmmm. I have to agree with pedro on this one. When we're hitting the 8hr mark and such that's nearing finished piece. I really liked the last one (18) 6hrs really pushed me to try to get a "finished sculpt" in that amount of time. I like the idea of 4hrs better though. I don't really see me being able to put out much more than sketchy lines and big broad claytubes strokes and actually having them be in the finished piece. Hmmm. So to sum this up. I like what Seal was saying about having longer sculpting challenges...those not being speed or having any real time constraint to them...other than the deadline that is.

But I especially like having the "speed" aspect of it for these challenges. I encourage my students to take part in challenges to help hone their skills and give them more competition that the other people in class. I will directly pull homework assignments or give extra credit to my students that want to participate in a challenge. When the challenges are 4-8hrs I can justify giving them the SSC to complete and submit. If it's a 4-8wk challenge though I can't make them do it...well, I could, but they have my projects to work on as well (If they want to do a longer challenge I still throw down some extra credit though).

Anyway, I enjoy forcing my students to get actively involved in competitions on the web. Either here at 3dt, or over at GA, or polycount, or ZBC...anywhere. I've found the stiffer the competition the better they become (while they do bitch when great sculptors and character artists are their competition, Cedric S...sathe, marcus D...etc). I think it helps them to better understand that the competition for a job isn't open to just the people you have classes with, the competition is the people you compete against in challenges such as these.

Anyway...to make a long story short. Keep the Speed part so I can justify making my students participate rather than just giving out some ExtraCredit for willingly doing it.

Last edited by goast666; 07-09-2009 at 02:27 PM..
goast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #144
SelWorks
RENDER ME

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
If you have to waste time in the basemesh maybe 6 hours, if they provide us with a simple mesh to start to sculpt maybe 4 hours is nice. Waiting the next topic soon!
Old 22-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #145
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Cartoon vehicles...(planes trains and automobiles.)
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #146
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
going with your idea katana how about cartoon house's with a character who lives in it

Old 23-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #147
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
1)a lil dragon who ddnt get toilet trainin, how wil he pee.?

2)year 3030 , how much more space have we uncovered in that year, tell about the new galxies.

3)food poisonong

4)swine flew

5)cartoony horrors

6)sholin something

7)hip hoppers

8)rock band performance

9) dancing( yup all types and genres)

10)animals playing human sports ( can u imagine ,a gorilla roller blading?, or maybe it was DD rolling on beer drums )

lets here it what u feel.

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #148
Steban

Awards Showcase
and what about your own character, a character that you have already done, your invention.
Steban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #149
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
steban it would have to have a unified theme ... not much of a challenge if someone makes a squid dragon and someone made a goomba from mario it be unfair and impossible to judge

Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #150
Fellipe Lopes

Send a message via MSN to Fellipe Lopes
With Halloween

Im thinking in a Vampire... what you think? have a lot styles of vampires and we can make our own vampire. Any style of vampire. From Dracula to bat monsters. a bust.