>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge

Old 20-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #166
Orrin Hogan
Formerly DaddyOH

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''MOWED DOWN'' 
Total Awards: 3
I think it's an easier starting point to create your own base mesh, well at least for me it is.
Orrin Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #167
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
While I never got to do the last challenge, because of my desktops wonderfully crappy graphics card, I did enjoy the idea of creating your own base mesh. I can't wait to see what the global challenges will be. Until then. Brains
Old 20-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #168
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
i like fellipe's and maxter1's idea.

umm why cant we use "halloween" as title for 19?
if u really wanna go specific then:
1) jack o lanterns
2)zombies
3)vampires
4)werevolves
5)horror costumes
6)candies/ trick o treat
7)witches

i thnk pumkin monsters will be quiet cool

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #169
Jabberwock

I largely prefer the challenge with already a bash mesh, we all start from the same point and consequently only our sculpting skills count. With our own base mesh you add skills on traditionnal 3D modelling soft, it's not only sculpting.

However with a supplied basemesh the subject can not not be as open as "Halloween" for example.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #170
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Jabberwock, your post put the problem perfectly in view.

Own basemesh - creative freedom;
Supplied basemesh - equal starting point; rigid workflow ( you can't add stuff, can't edit the basemesh topology, etc )

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #171
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
Supplied basemesh - equal starting point; rigid workflow ( you can't add stuff, can't edit the basemesh topology, etc )
I'm thinking the rigid workflow is going to be harder to maintain with some of the tools in ZB 3.5 such as the sketch tools meaning that it is easier to add details prior to subdiv and I would imagine people will want to be able to use those tools when sculpting for the challenges. I could be wrong though!

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #172
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Well my plan is to give you guys complete freedom in how you work through the challenges, hence the "supply your own basemesh" philosophy. I think the Videogame character challenge went great ( it wouldn't have been the same with predefined starting basemesh ), so the idea works.

Old 21-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #173
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
I'm on the create your own base mesh band wagon. I actually think I learnt a lot more doing this in the last challenge (although it's all I got done ). It really made me think about my workflow and character design a lot more!!

It also promotes greater discussion of individual methods and increases interaction and learning between people.

Bring on the zombie action!!! UUUUUUUURRRRRGGGGHHH!!!
gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #174
Pedro Toledo

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challeng  #007: 'Pirates - Past, Present & Future The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 5
Cool, I think this is a good idea.
As I mentioned before, I think there could be two separate time limits, one for the basemesh, one for sculpting, and if you wanted to use a pre-made basemesh you can only use the sculpting time limit.
I think this kind of approach would help the ones who don't want to spend time on polygonal modeling first, and also the ones who want to make their own custom base.

Not to mention softwares like 3DCoat, that simply doesn't have the basemesh concept at all, as you don't have polygons, just a vert cloud that does not obey to the same rules of the other sculpting packages...

Manufato
Pedro Toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #175
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Quote:
Well my plan is to give you guys complete freedom in how you work through the challenges, hence the "supply your own basemesh" philosophy. I think the Videogame character challenge went great ( it wouldn't have been the same with predefined starting basemesh ), so the idea works.
When will the new comp start, Mr. Freespace?

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #176
Zelenkov
Digital Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Zelenkov Send a message via AIM to Zelenkov
I'm down with the base meshes. So...when do we start?
Zelenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #177
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Let's see then how separating the time-limit between basemesh and sculpting goes.

Challenge is up! Go get 'em.

Old 24-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #178
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
have we had werewolves already?

hmm then i guess:
1) vampires
2)griffins
3)genies
4)gargoyles
5)bigfoot/sasquatch/yeti/snowman

soemething sequential:
domestic animals go to las vegas
switch mode of travel of human and one insect.

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #179
Jabberwock

Enough with monsters!

We have also to show that zbrush/mudbox/other are not only a monster factory
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #180
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Quote:
Enough with monsters!

We have also to show that zbrush/mudbox/other are not only a monster factory
Good point!!

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote