>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge

Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #106
dustinbrown

The challenges last a month, and time limit is 8hrs. I assume this is to give folks plenty of time to jump on board, which I think is great. But when it comes to getting a job, I think employers might see speed sculpting as a parlor trick. They want to see finished work.

Not to discount the validity or importance of being able to knock something out quickly, but I'd love to see the sculpting challenges be less speed-based and more quality-based. Challenges, for me anyway, are a great vehicle to create solid personal portfolio work: A deadline is imposed by someone else, there are constraints, etc, it's great. Something that took few weeks to make is going to be much more portfolio worthy than an 8hr speed sculpt.

That said, I know these challenges are for fun. I'm not trying to take away from that, I'm simply saying that if they were more quality over speed based, they could be fun and also have the added benefit of giving people some nice work for their portfolios. I suppose one could always continue to work on a sculpt after the speed-sculpt challenge is over, to bring it to a finish, but I like the idea of being able to potentially tack an award graphic to a finished piece.

I can think of a few ways to implement it:

1) Two separate categories (speed sculpt and long sculpt) for every sculpting challenge. For example the Dragon challenge would have had a speed sculpt and a long sculpt thread, with different constraints.

2) Two separate categories (speed sculpt and long sculpt) with their own challenges. For example the speed sculptors could be working on dragons while the long sculptors are working on something different.

3) Alternate challenges between speed and long sculpting.

4) Require speed sculpts to be part of the beginning conceptualization part of longer sculpting challenges, to teach people how to use ZBrush and Mudbox as conceptual tools as well as finishing tools. For example you make a long Dragon sculpting challenge, but require 5 minimum different conceptual speed sculpts with a 1hr cap on each.

I like #4 best. I think it's most useful from a career standpoint. Personal opinion

Last edited by dustinbrown; 09-06-2009 at 07:22 PM..
dustinbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #107
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
ur right aby but i dont want to think of my kids with wolf girl lol

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #108
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinbrown View Post
The challenges last a month, and time limit is 8hrs. I assume this is to give folks plenty of time to jump on board, which I think is great. But when it comes to getting a job, I think employers might see speed sculpting as a parlor trick. They want to see finished work.

Not to discount the validity or importance of being able to knock something out quickly, but I'd love to see the sculpting challenges be less speed-based and more quality-based. Challenges, for me anyway, are a great vehicle to create solid personal portfolio work: A deadline is imposed by someone else, there are constraints, etc, it's great. Something that took few weeks to make is going to be much more portfolio worthy than an 8hr speed sculpt.

That said, I know these challenges are for fun. I'm not trying to take away from that, I'm simply saying that if they were more quality over speed based, they could be fun and also have the added benefit of giving people some nice work for their portfolios. I suppose one could always continue to work on a sculpt after the speed-sculpt challenge is over, to bring it to a finish, but I like the idea of being able to potentially tack an award graphic to a finished piece.

I can think of a few ways to implement it:

1) Two separate categories (speed sculpt and long sculpt) for every sculpting challenge. For example the Dragon challenge would have had a speed sculpt and a long sculpt thread, with different constraints.

2) Two separate categories (speed sculpt and long sculpt) with their own challenges. For example the speed sculptors could be working on dragons while the long sculptors are working on something different.

3) Alternate challenges between speed and long sculpting.

4) Require speed sculpts to be part of the beginning conceptualization part of longer sculpting challenges, to teach people how to use ZBrush and Mudbox as conceptual tools as well as finishing tools. For example you make a long Dragon sculpting challenge, but require 5 minimum different conceptual speed sculpts with a 1hr cap on each.

I like #4 best. I think it's most useful from a career standpoint. Personal opinion
Those are some great points, Dustin. We have discussed them among the staff since the challenges begun over a year ago. I'm going to take note of these for our future meetings, though we still don't want to overcomplicate it with the challenges ( too many sub-categories tends to alienate people; and most people who participate in these can only spare so many hours of their free time )

The quality over speed notion can still be implemented by anyone. After you finish up your speed sculpt within the time limit and submit the images of it in the final thread, you can merrily keep detailing and finishing your sculpt for portfolio purposes. So if someone did a dragon in 8 hours ( for example ), and they feel the sculpt can still be worked on, nobody is stopping them from doing so for their portfolio.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #109
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
too many sub-categories tends to alienate people
I agree but maybe one more section for longer sculpts and speed sculpts to give more people a chance to show of there skills .

Some people might be really good at making models really fast and other may be more inclined to take more time and care into sculpts making them more personal and detailed

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #110
dustinbrown

Cool thanks
dustinbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #111
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
long story short freespace was right wth the 8 hours duration for the dragons weteher ya like it or not, but the second thing wch i also felt awkward was why wasnt the base mesh a cube?

i think a basemesh wth more scope is more suitable for a long duration sculpt, and besides every one cant get hang of transpose if they entering for frst time.and also no one tried legless dragons cause taking out the legs wasnt wvery ones cup of tea. u see?

maybe after few months we can do dragon v2.0 wth a cube

and ideas i ave a killer one :
the fed up library assistant( hes done wth books i tell u)

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #112
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
Doesn't matter if it is a quick sculpt or a longer time period I am ready for the next challenge. Any idea what this next one might be
Old 18-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #113
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
The next challenge is definetely one to look out for, and should launch tomorrow.

Old 18-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #114
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
So you guys consider that starting from a cube would be better then being limited by base meshes?

Old 19-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #115
XADA

I preffer the way of a base mesh and a really short time to sculpt....finitions are for me painfull!!

so, what's up with the new chalenge??
Old 19-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #116
darkmonk

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
my thoughts

I also preffer having a simple base mesh to sculpt from, my computer does not handle many subdivisions so anything that helps the flow of polygons to all the different areas of the sculpt is always good for me.
i dont think we would have seen as many fantastic sculps in the dragon contest if the basemesh had been a cube and it also makes things even more difficult for begginers to get started sculpting.

I also like having a short time limit as it forces me to work outside of my comfort zone and i have to try/learn new techniques to improve how i sculpt different forms and details.

Would also like to comment on something dustinbrown mentioned in a post.
"I think employers might see speed sculpting as a parlor trick"

Being able to sculpt a very detailed model in a short period of time shows that the person has a very good grasp of the program he is using and also of the forms he is trying to create, if 2 different people can create equally good models but 1 person takes a day and the other takes an hour who do you think will be hired ? -this is just my opinion by the way

Cant wait for the next challenge, hope to see as many entries as there were in the dragon comp
Old 19-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #117
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
yes freespace sir i prefer cube for lengthy challenges , cause cube has more scpe for smthng to be done on it.

about it being hard , well if we have the freedom to give our own form its easier.
as u saw every body started and ditched asian dragons, why could only mr peculiar pull it off?

thats all i meant , cubes are good for cartoony stuff too , easy to define our own proportions .

i hope u see my point.

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #118
Jabberwock

I prefer a base mesh for the exact same reasons than Darkmonk !

I can't wait for the new challenge theme, come on please
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #119
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
New challenge? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 19-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #120
XADA

Gush! "toomorow" has been fixed from space time systeme....something like 3 earth's years???