>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
cyfer

Max_Retopo_tool (Beta Testers required)

hi there , i've been trying to ease the process of retopo dense meshes with standard max tools (poly)
and i came up with this tool
you can see how it works here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n724G7uMuPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-icAsOZbJc

please note : the second video features is more likely to be disabled for the
sake of speed

i'm in bad need for beta testers , if you're interested let me know
i need people with high hardware specs , and with low specs

forgot to mention , this tool is gonna be free and i'm asking for free beta testers

Mods : Couldn't find the right section for posting this So , fell free to move the thread to any appropriate section
cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
based on the first vid that is very cool indeed.

There's a fair chance it might even be cooler than topogun and as such I'm volunteering - if you'll have me of course

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
This is a simple yet innovative approach for doing re-topo in 3dsMax. I like the direction you're taking in the second video- building tools that utilize the tools you've already made. Note, though, that you'll be in competition with the usual suspects like ZBrush's retopo tools, in addition to some fringe tools like PolyBoost's on-mesh painting abilities.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
P.S. Is this in MXS or C++? I bet that if you really tightened it up and put your mind to it, you could make it fast.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
cyfer

hi there

first of , thanks for the kind words

there are 2 points i would like to mention
-those videos were recorded on a fairly outdated machine with single core
Amd Sempron 3G and 1,25 Gigs of ram (yes , 1 and quarter Giga Ram)
So there are good chances that you'll have a better performance

-the videos were recorded on max 2009 , if you worked enough on that release you may be familiar with the bug that leaks memory after 30 min or so that slows max gradually , so again ... if you've just opened max and run the script or work on max 2008 , i believe you'll have a better performance .

on a machine with production specs .. i had faster performance , but i wanted to go with the low specs machine .. if this tool is fast with the low specs .. it will be faster and safer with higher specs

poopipe

thanks , sure you're in .... you will get the script as soon as i write a short guide for how to use it safely

BlueSummers-3DT

this is completely Mxs and no C++ involved
i wouldn't consider this tool a competitive tool with any other retopo solution
the whole point is .... trying to ease the pain we experience during this process ... this is completely free tool . i'm asking for beta testers to make it more error proof ... and more practical for daily use .

one thing i should mention , You don't have to be a Programmer to be a beta tester for this tool

all i'm asking is you work with the tool ... try to break it , then try to reproduce the same steps you did to get an error or crash and then send those steps to me ... that's all you have to do
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
the reason this appeals to me is that I find zbrush's retopo tool to be a bit simplistic - there's no quick way (afaik) to connect a ring of edges etc.

topogun is a lot better in that respect but I still really missed the max poly tools sometimes when working with it.

anyway - cheers I'll be looking forward to it.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
cyfer

poopipe

thanks for participating in this ... check your PM
Old 12-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek
This looks really cool. I'd be happy to participate in testing it out for you.

It'll priobably be of great use for the dominance war.
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
cyfer

TekNeek

thanks mate check your PM

Guys .... Please test freely , the last thing i want is to make you feel tied to report and give results
think of the tool as if you downloaded it from any website ... and use it on your own pace

Last edited by cyfer; 12-03-2009 at 07:39 PM..
Old 16-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek
thanks, cyfer.

Your tool is awesome. I recommend others getting it.
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
cyfer

thanks mate

i fixed the modifier issue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrhOiCHd-To
Old 17-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
le1setreter

Send a message via ICQ to le1setreter
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
hey cyfer,
your tool looks nice. may i also do some testing? tia.
le1setreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Wow Cyfer, you are a life-saver.
Another forum that I am a member of is gonna make a game and we were in desperate need of something like this for our models.

May I also be a beta-tester?
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
cyfer

hi guys
anyone can be a beta tester .. whenever you want to try the tool
either pm or post here

currently i'm distributing the non- modifier support version
i'll distribute the last version as soon as i get over some stuff i'm encountering now and then

people using this should be careful , this is a beta state ... and you shouldn't trust a beta in production unless you know all the glitches you may face .
Old 19-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
le1setreter

Send a message via ICQ to le1setreter
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
are we supposed to pm you the results or could it be better to collect all in here so everybody can see what others has already statet?!

anyway, just found the time to do some testing and got an error when running the script.

right now i am on an older machine: pentium duo 2,8 - 2 gigs of ram - winXp pro 32 - max 9
Attached Images

le1setreter is offline   Reply With Quote