>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 10-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
darkmonk

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
box question

hi, are we allowed to sculpt the box into any shape we want ?
could i sculpt it into a large rock face and have my dragon gripping onto it ? or is the box just meant as a simple surface to ground your sculpt?

thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #17
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
mrpeculiar: You're very welcome! If there's someone with a great idea that will add to the experience value of the challenge, I'm always welcome for input. And that dragon looks pretty good, I like the muscular structure you're defining. The pose makes it appear noble, lighthearted, like a white dragon.

darkmonk: Hey there! You most certainly can, that sounds really cool.

Now, as ClassicGamer requested the Hungarian Horntail from Harry Potter, what would be extra cool is if whoever does do it, also sculpt the pedestal into one of the towers of Hogwarts and have the dragon gripping on to it. Oh man that would certainly look awesome.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #18
Scottleroc
3d artist

Freespace-3DT I have a quick question

Are we allowed to subd the hands and feet to allow us more polys?

Of course this would add polys to the original base mesh thats why I am asking if it is legal to do this.

Thanks in advance and I think I know what the answer will be but I just wanted it pointed out.

Oh and one more thing do we have to show a sub D level 1 poly count screenshot to prove we didn't add anymore polys? (in relation to the above question)
Scottleroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Scottleroc: You should be allright to subdivide things locally, as long as it all stays within Zbrush/Mudbox. Prodiving subd level 1 screenshot along with your work is not required, but some people do it and it's pretty neat to see the sculpt at different subdivisions.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #20
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
Cool challenge dude I guess the people at Dragonlance would frown at your choice of a challenge poster I hope to get myself some dragon meal if I can muster the free time.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 AM   #21
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
i haven't done a sculpting challenge in a long time i might find time for this one.... it looks fun.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:27 AM   #22
arthurduque

Send a message via MSN to arthurduque
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
ahuaha....Cool challange...I get the OBJs...and soon I start the work!!

Good luck for everybody!!

My blog and contacts

ZSketchBook
arthurduque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #23
mrpeculiar

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge 009 Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: Won on Speed Animation challanges ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band' Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  
Righto .......lets keep things moving here

Around the 2 hour mark now .....started with some basic detailing of the head
Attached Images

mrpeculiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
delavega

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Good start mrpeculiar
Definitely joining this challenge too...way too cool!
delavega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
Zoli

Great topic!
I see it, but i ask it- its allowed to pose it for example as mrpeculiar did. Am I right?
Zoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #26
mrpeculiar

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge 009 Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: Won on Speed Animation challanges ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band' Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  
Actually after revisting it im having a crack at the Hungarian Horntail ......well ......something based on it .......... i will do both dragons to completion .....(hopefully)
mrpeculiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #27
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Avatar: Hey there, man! I thought this would tickle your interests.

M_Cederstrom: Let it rip, man.

arthurduque: Looking forward to your dragon.

mrpeculiar: Just take care not to make the scales too powerful, otherwise details like eyes/teeth could get lost from a distance. I love the mouth you did for the dragon.

delavega: Welcome, welcome!

Zoli: Glad you like the theme! Yes, it's allowed to pose the dragon, make it look as cool as possible!

mrpeculiar: Oh, that's too cool!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #28
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Quote:
But what is the diference, moving some vertexes in mudboy in cinema is the same, the effetct is. will somebody know, if i move them in other program ? wtf
If there is no difference in the effect, then it shouldn't be a problem for you to use your Mudbox or ZBrush to do the job. Of course, we won't know if you have used another software package to do this, but these challenges are all about coming together and tackling something under the same guidelines, using the same programmes and coming up with something great under the same rules and restrictions as everyone else. Every challenge has restrictions, that's just how it is.

Sorry to butt in Freespace! Over to you

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #29
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
ok im new on this site today but im diving in the deep end and joining in cant hurt
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #30
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Quote:
ok im new on this site today but im diving in the deep end and joining in cant hurt
Welcome to Threedy, hope you enjoy your stay! And do jump into this challenge, it's only just kicked off so it's a great time to hop in. Enjoy

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote