>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 01-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
SMC M#04 - TNTxGRAVE - RSD-X-0n3

I got a name but NOOOOOOO idea which direction to go. Wish me luck.
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
I kinda have a clue which direction to go. I have only tried speed modeling a few times and figured why not try a competition. Originally i was going to do a spider based drill and realized IF that's my first thought then a lot of people will be doing that. So I decided to base my design on reality and see what type of construction machines are drills. Here's some that caught my attention. I now plan on basing my design after these modes and instead of doing a standard DRILL i chose to go with the Tri-Cog-ish looking drill.

And here is my WIP
Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Psycho Mantis
R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho Mantis Send a message via MSN to Psycho Mantis
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason:  Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: For some brilliant comments on the Lara Thread. Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won in the SMC 34 - Mix Me Baby One More Time Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
why is the track distorted?

Trollpost or GTFO!
Psycho Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
Very nice, I have these references in my reference folder but I did't dare to chose such complex one and I go for an simple one, but after we finish them we can open a construction yard

U start the modeling so good, so many details and clean mesh.
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Pycho Mantis: I was going for more of a Rubber/Pliable material for the treads. So its can stretch and contract. Since this thing is on ice I figured most metals would make the machine too heavy and case it to fall through thin layers of ice. However if you have any suggestions, I am always all ears.

Hammering3D: Why not challenge yourself. The way i see it, I look at a machine and if i think to myself, there's no way I can model that in 240mins. My first instinct is "what else has more detail, and is more complex". I like pushing myself beyond my limits.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
true, if I can model mine detailed is complex to, but not like this

After I see the details U put in the tracks and the mesh so clean, I can't wait to see more progress, since I love those big metal machine.
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
Good job. Good start. How many mintues so far
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
CRAP!!! Damnit Tariq you had to be that guy. I didn't time myself but I know it wasn't more than half an hour. I began working on it when I started the new episode of Naruto Shippuuden, and was at this point by the time the episode was done. Needless to say I had to re-watch the episode because I didn't get to see ANY of it, I got sucked into modeling tank treads. I was in "the zone" man. All u see is a lot of modifiers and a lot of "Ctrl C" and "Ctrl V"

Last edited by TNTxGRAVE; 02-02-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
cup-o-noodles

looks good hope you feel better
cup-o-noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  SMC 72  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge SMC 74 for making a camera Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge  #68  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: nd place in a speed modelling challenge #66 -  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''pirates'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #68  
Total Awards: 16
haha, looks awesome, i thought of the tri-cone drill for my machine aswell, though it wouldn't look as good on such a TBM type drill
Rachel vd M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
cup-o-noodles: Thanx for getting me sick Hilduh. i kdd i kiddd. But yea theres some 24hrs flu thing going around.

Rachel: I also figured most of the entries will either display some sort of screw drill or laser beam. I enjoy taking the difficult route.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTxGRAVE View Post
cup-o-noodles: Thanx for getting me sick Hilduh. i kdd i kiddd. But yea theres some 24hrs flu thing going around.

Rachel: I also figured most of the entries will either display some sort of screw drill or laser beam. I enjoy taking the difficult route.
cup-o-noodles: Hi

TNTxGRAVE: 24hrs flu thing huh. Maybe every hour someone is getting sick. 24 people are going to GET SICK!!! WHERE IS JACK BAUER WHEN U NEED UM!!!
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
cup-o-noodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakuryu06 View Post
cup-o-noodles: Hi

TNTxGRAVE: 24hrs flu thing huh. Maybe every hour someone is getting sick. 24 people are going to GET SICK!!! WHERE IS JACK BAUER WHEN U NEED UM!!!
Turtle man (bakuryu06): hello

TNTxGrave: yea there really is 'cause today I was feeling all better Ashley V. is also sick But yea look forward to seeing the finished product!
cup-o-noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Hopefully I can finish the 240mins of modeling before the superbowl and give myself 2 weeks to texture. I only had time to model today because "cup-o-noodles" infected me at work yesterday with the h-virus and i had to take today off work. All day I've been battling a severe cold, constant head aches, a random twitchy eye, my girlfriend's unruly cat (thats in heat btw), and a dog named ninja ( i swear his name is ninja).

Add 20 more minutes.

Last edited by TNTxGRAVE; 03-02-2010 at 04:32 AM..
Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
Edwiersma
VFX Artist

Send a message via MSN to Edwiersma
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Let's Make a splash'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC - 038 - Journey to other planets Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
u said ad 20 minutes but what was ur time on the tracks only?

already looking great keep going