>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Make sure you keep tabs on your time spent, get a docked stopwatch into your software of choice or a normal egg timer for half hour intervals. A few years back I lost track of my time when speed modelling and realised I'd spent nearly 3 hours on a 90 min SMC.

As for the creation so far it's looking really very good, nicely detailed and very well made. Looking forward to seeing the direction you take this.

Kind Regards

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Ahhhh yes the time bug...lol. I spent about a half hour on the treads. I made about 6 basic shaped pieces and did the ole add rivets and such technique. The majority of the time was spent adding edge loops for smoothing purposes. So all in all i am about 50 minutes into the model.

BAD!!! ClassicGamer (slaps wrist) you don't spend 3hrs on a 90minute model. Go sit in the corner and think about what you did...lol.
I'll be VERY careful not to do that.

Last edited by TNTxGRAVE; 03-02-2010 at 10:52 AM..
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  SMC 72  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge SMC 74 for making a camera Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge  #68  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: nd place in a speed modelling challenge #66 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #68  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''pirates'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
That looks absolutely awesome!

i am also curious on how you managed to model that quickly,
Could you maybe explain those awesome techniques, or is there a tutorial somewhere on the net that can describe your style?
Im looking to improve my skills over time
Rachel vd M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
I find it easy to model fast when you spend about 15minutes looking at your concept and actually model the part you want to work on in your head. Visualize every tool you will possibly use for each specific part. so when you get into 3d Max or whatever package you use, You wount waste time trying things, in a competition like this you HAVE to start modeling with a clear idea of what you want to do and HOW you will do it. And i also own about 120GB of tutorials and 200GB of reference photos.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  SMC 72  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge SMC 74 for making a camera Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge  #68  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: nd place in a speed modelling challenge #66 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #68  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''pirates'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
haha thx for the advice, im also gathering up on turorials, though because of school (how ironic) i havn't got time to study them
Rachel vd M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Rachel: Lol I graduated school about 7 months ago. To be honest, about 80% of what i know was learned through tutorials. So go buy as many Gnomon and digital tutors discs as you can afford. Find alll the 89326473674673472734 free 3d tutorials on the interwebs. Trust me it helps, but you have to watch them and study them.
btw, what school do you go to? I went to The Art Institute of Washington.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #22
JAPO

Send a message via ICQ to JAPO
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge!  
Well I dont lose track of time. But in two instances I picked objects that didnt fit in the time frame. I mean, who in the right set of mind chooses to create oboe in 60 minutes?
JAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
An Oboe in 60mins?...you are crazy man.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #24
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
I found out my phone has a stop watch feature. So I put it to good use. These are the new additions i was able to make in 65mins. The main body is just the blocked out shapes. Most of my time was spent on the cockpit. I spent about 10mins box modeling it and wasnt happy with the results and then i realized how much of an idiot i was for not using planes, spline, and booleans to get the desired look. i was in a hurry to try and get as much of the overall piece blocked out. The ground is a simple Plane with a displace modifier and a height map. I spent quite a bit of time tweaking my materials and test rendering (hope that doesnt count). So far i have spent 115minutes modeling. I have burned almost half my time in 2 days and i still have SOOOOOOOOOOO much to do. *sigh* its depressing...lol. Its late i am off to bed.

Comments and Crits pls.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #25
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
very impressive so far
good night it's 10:20 am here
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #26
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
look ace - but where is the drill just kidding. it's coming along really nice.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #27
Kiwicanta7

Hey man,
It's looking great! As this is my first contest I'm not sure how close to the theme they try to keep things, but as you model your drill it mentioned drilling or being able to drill different sized holes. Not sure if they're sticking to this or not, but it looked as if you "may" be going for a one drill model.

I'm gonna have to pick your brain on some of those modeling techniques by the way Youtube is getting more scarce as I get into more specific and difficult things.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #28
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
it not said that it must drill different holes size, but that u can model any type of drill because they are many types that can drill many size of holes, so u can chose any of them.
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #29
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
This is looking excellent........nice lighting too, keep it up

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #30
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Kiwicanta7: Feel free to send me a private message ANYTIME if you run into difficulties. As to your question about the drill bit. There are different types of drill bits and drill sizes out there. Its pretty much up to you to pick one or a combination of bits and sizes. I am choosing to stay away from the traditional "coil" drill, i am giving my machine a tri-cone drill bit. these bits are commonly used for drilling wells and used in the arctic for breaking through the ice. Tri-cone bits work best on hard formation rocks such as hard shale, calcites, mudstones, cherty lime stone. In some instances Ice has been known to be packed sooo densely that its harder that most rocks. So i figured in an ICE PLANET this type of drill bit would be used break the surface of lakes and other bodies of water.

here are some Examples of Tri-Cone drill bits

Hammering3D: Lol i just realized that you answered Kiwicanta's question.

ClassicGamer: Thanks. I am using the daylight system, and mental ray. Nothing really special