>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Most days before I start working at my job, I take 15 minutes to do a simple warm up art exercise. Since my main Max file was created in Max 2010 and at work we use max 2009. I HATE the fact that Autodesk products aren't backwards compatible. I mean why cant u open a Max 2010 file in Max 2009? Adobe does it, why cant you Autodesk...whyyyy?. Ohhhh yea I forgot, they want our monies. But thats a discussion for another day.
Anyway I will merge the drill bit into the main max file when I get home tonight.

So far I am about half way into my modeling...130mins total

Last edited by TNTxGRAVE; 04-02-2010 at 03:54 PM..
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #32
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
Autodesk products you mean MAX only others do not share the same faith. Also autodesk is pushing FBX but never tried it.
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #33
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocneasta View Post
Autodesk products you mean MAX only others do not share the same faith. Also autodesk is pushing FBX but never tried it.
Huh, interesting observation
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #34
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
rocneasta: Man the last time i used an FBX file format was almost 3 years ago. it is a good format but it seems more people and software developers push OBJs more.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #35
Psycho Mantis
R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho Mantis Send a message via MSN to Psycho Mantis
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason:  Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: For some brilliant comments on the Lara Thread. Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won in the SMC 34 - Mix Me Baby One More Time Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
@tntxgrave - i ahve good news for you, and bad news.
bad first - your drillhead wonīt work. the teeth from the wheels are at oppsite directions, which means a peak will face another peak, and a valley another valley. they have to interlock, like cogwheels. at least it looks so from this pov. but that can be fixed easily.

now good news. when max 2011 will come ot, itīll backward compatible. so you can work with older programms (starting at 2010).

Trollpost or GTFO!
Psycho Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #36
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Psycho Mantis: I have no idea what you mean. I got lost somewhere in your explanation. I was going based on this design (image below). I noticed there is alot more spacing between the cogs.
If you could save the image of the drill i posted and illustrate over it what you mean. It would be helpful. Thanks man.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #37
McKronic
Lighter/Compositor

Send a message via MSN to McKronic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the Low-Poly Challenge #28B - Vehicle 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTxGRAVE View Post
Psycho Mantis: I have no idea what you mean. I got lost somewhere in your explanation. I was going based on this design (image below). I noticed there is alot more spacing between the cogs.
If you could save the image of the drill i posted and illustrate over it what you mean. It would be helpful. Thanks man.

the way you have the teeth now the hole on the one gear doesn't line up with the tooth on the other so the drill won't be able to spin.

2009 Demo on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QaxYcy6VBI

Last edited by McKronic; 04-02-2010 at 07:27 PM..
McKronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #38
xeni

Send a message via MSN to xeni
nice modeling like it.

SMC M#04- Xeni- Mini Solar Drilling Machine
xeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #39
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKronic View Post
the way you have the teeth now the hole on the one gear doesn't line up with the tooth on the other so the drill won't be able to spin.
OMFG!!! i am an idiot...I seee it now....i think...lol the teeth on each of the 3 extensions needs to alternate with the one next to it.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #40
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Sorry I haven't gotten to posting an update. Because there isn't one yet. I got home from work and couldn't stand to look at my home computer screen, let alone 3d max. I work as a 3D modeler and Animator for a local gaming and simulation lab. So after looking at 3d max for 9 straight hours i think i deserved a little rest. So i came home and went to bed.

I took the day off work due to the fact that we are expecting 20 - 24 inches of snow. So i will take 1 hour later on today to work on this model. Expect my update later. Thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #41
Psycho Mantis
R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason:  Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: For some brilliant comments on the Lara Thread. Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won in the SMC 34 - Mix Me Baby One More Time Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
yeah you got it, and keep in mind, that the wheels need different sizes and locations. they cant be all at teh same height, becuase then the wheels would stuck. i am not an engineer, and i guess they have formulas for stuff liek gears etc, but i think with trial and error you will get it done. just keep in mind that all 3 drillheads need different size, maybe angle, and location.

Trollpost or GTFO!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #42
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Ok so 3D Total Forums seemed to be down for like 27364726747682347 hours today. I finally was able to get on. I have noticed that speed modeling over a period of time is MUCH easier than doing it all in one sitting. I am amazed at how much I got done. I would never be able to do that much in one sitting. I get bored and distracted if I work for more than 2hrs straight. I usually end up on Youtube, Geekologie, Aint-it-Cool or some random Anime site to watch something.

Well I worked for 80 minutes today. I blocked out the rest of the machine, and began some minor detail work. I only have 30 minutes left to model. I still have to do the wiring, Solar Panels, the block that connects the drill to the rest of the arm so its not just floating, and the interior of the cockpit. Actually i might just tint the windows enough so you cant tell there is no interior...lol Ohhh mannn thats alott of work for half an hour. Hopefully i can do it. so here is the progress I promised earlier.

210 minutes in...

Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #43
Psycho Mantis
R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Awards Showcase
this thing rocks on the rocks.

Trollpost or GTFO!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #44
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
this one is great. so much done and so fast. as borat would say "high five"
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #45
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Simply Superb!
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote