>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Aramor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
SMC M#04 - Aramor - The Cavitator

Yeah, I know, silly name.

Anyway, I was thinking about something on tracks, with a giant laser on top of it. I started work on the tracks, this is after about an hour of tinkering.

Does anybody know how I can get the tracks straight? I first made all the tracks, then attached them to a bone structure and then gave that an SplineIkSolver to attach to the spline. The movement works great, but as you can see they rotate at the bottom and I don't know how to get rid of it.
Attached Images

So, following that rational, I'll leave this empty.

Wait...
Aramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Tiberiy

I use spacing tool, try it
Tiberiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Nice start....looking forward to where you go with this

Kind Regards

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
I built one link on my treads and then used a spline to outline its position and the constrained the link i made and used the Array tool to duplicate it.
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Aramor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Thanks everyone. I'll see how I do the treads. I think I'll redo them since I made a little concept art (at which I kinda suck) and they aren't that visible.

Also, a little question. I'll probably get rid of what I have now and restart, does the hour I spend on this still count?

Anyway, concept art. I'm still deciding on what to put on top of it. I think I'll go with some sort of drill, like the Mole from Thunderbirds. Also, the thing is going to be huge. You can see a little door on the side, and there's room in the front to stand.
Attached Images

Wait...
Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
If you carry on with this model then yes the hour already spent modelling will indeed count regardless of whether you're abandoned some of the geometry already made or not.

You cannot use parts already created with a new model either, so you have two choices either carry on with the current model with an hour wasted if you hate the parts of model created OR start a brand new model from scratch.....i'd start a brand new model from scratch because otherwise you've lost an hours modelling time to geometry you no longer need.

CG.
Twitter
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Aramor

Awards Showcase
Good point. I'll start a new model from scratch in that case. Shouldn't be that hard since this stuff doesn't even look like my concept art.

Wait...
Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Aramor

Awards Showcase
This is after 70 minutes. The flap on the side will be a huge solar panel.
There'll be another one at the other side of the ramp, and they'll also be
on the other side of the machine. The ramp is to get other construction vehicles in and out of the machine.

There will be a giant circular drill at the top, which will be raised with a pneumatic system, and it will then drill
down and detach, using a system of rails and gears to go down, and tracks to go down in the hole, and back up.

As you can see it's quite big.
Attached Images

Wait...
Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
Interesting design .
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
Aramor

Awards Showcase
Thank you.

Well, another 90 minutes. I added the drill and the mechanism for raising it. I will fortify those bars ofcourse.
Attached Images

Wait...
Old 10-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Looking like a nice clean design here, can't wait for more
Twitter
Old 10-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
DAMN thats a DRILL...lol
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Aramor

Awards Showcase
Another 45 minutes, which puts me on a total of 175 minutes. I changed the head of the drill, because at first it looked FUBAR. I also added the tracks on the side of the machine that will enable it to get out of the hole again.
Attached Images

Wait...
Old 14-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Cool tools
Twitter
Old 28-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
very nice, big sweet drill :d, U will finish it till midnight ?
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote