>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
xeni

Send a message via MSN to xeni
it look very good

SMC M#04- Xeni- Mini Solar Drilling Machine
xeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
ill

very nice start!

if I can ask you a question, how did you do that vast amount of cable connecting the bottom with the middle part?
ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  SMC 72  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge SMC 74 for making a camera Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge  #68  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: nd place in a speed modelling challenge #66 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #68  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''pirates'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill View Post
very nice start!

if I can ask you a question, how did you do that vast amount of cable connecting the bottom with the middle part?
a easy trick, just use loft on a group of circle splines, and add some twist or scaling in the parameter
after that you just copypasta everything
Rachel vd M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
good ole copypasta...i used that ALOT
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  SMC 72  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge SMC 74 for making a camera Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge  #68  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: nd place in a speed modelling challenge #66 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #68  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''pirates'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
talking about copy pasta, i used it on the threads as well

here is another iteration of my model, i added threads, piping and a big pressure sphere.

still im thinking about some cool looking structure to hold the sphere in place, no ideas yet

maybe ill repeat the upper 2 sections to form a train like structure.
Though the problem you get with a long object is that details cant be shown as close up anymore.

c&c is welcome
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
Kiwicanta7

Please don't take this the wrong way because I very much think you have the best that I've seen... but how (besides evaporation) does this drill actually drill? The parts at the bottom look rounded and not able to drill if it encounters anything that is not ice. Maybe you were gonna work on that, but I figured asking with having plenty of time to either change or explain what's up would help ya.

Sorry if it didn't

EDIT: So I've been trying to do that cable connection thing with lofting the circles splines using a torus and I'm not seeing much that looks even usable. Any advice?

Last edited by Kiwicanta7; 06-02-2010 at 09:17 PM..
Kiwicanta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #22
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
the bottom part contains 18 laser units, they focus on the ice, and evaporate it
vapors, sand and debris get sucked into a giant funnel in the center of the machine.
there the pressurized gas is used to add additional power to the drill
Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #23
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
i see you over came the tread issue. looks really nice
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #24
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
i did it by hand, it wasnt very big so it was possible
Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #25
Kiwicanta7

Ohhh okay cool, makes sense.

So for the bottom you used toruses which were lofted and twisted? Really not having much luck getting anything close. Would like to learn it for later projects as it has a very unique look.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #26
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
quick question. once the drill reaches its drill distance, how does it get back up to the surface?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #27
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
i just use Circle splines, no objects like torus or cylinder

you can use a cluster of splines to loft along a spline
make sure you merge those splines first ofc
Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #28
Kiwicanta7

Ok, I feel like a total scrub, but I'm not really sure what you mean. I guess I don't really know what a spline is or how to use/create one.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #29
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
a spline is a line, without any faces, it can be used as a base for several objects,

though i suggest (if you have max, to press F1 and RTFM)
Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
JAPO

Send a message via ICQ to JAPO
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge!  
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTxGRAVE View Post
quick question. once the drill reaches its drill distance, how does it get back up to the surface?
Same as down. Using the treads on side. The machine uses lasers, so it makes sense the "drill" does not touch the ice, as the intermediate between steam and ice is water. Water would greatly reduce effect of the laser. Hence it makes sense the machine is lodged against sides of the tunnel. So... put the gear in reverse and back out of the hole

...or thats the way I understand this model
JAPO is offline   Reply With Quote