>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
SMC M#04 - Paulius-st - S.I.D.R.

hi to all. this will be my very first speed modeling comp. hope to finish it in given 4 hour time limit. and hope not to suck a lot .
S.I.D.R. - Solar Ice Drilling Robot. heres a concept sketch .
C&C are welcome.
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
I take it this would be a horizontal drilling machine. My only comment so far is that it seems like the drill on its mouth and neck wouldn't drill a big enough tunnel for the body to fit through. Either bulk up the drills or make his torso smaller.
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Might have trouble drilling at the head area, cool none the less though.

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
thanks guys for replies. TNTxGRAVE - didnt thought about the head size yet . i think i'll use your adise and bulk up drill's . this robot will look more powerfull. thanks for suggestions. i'll update this concept later today when i will finish it .
Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Cool Cant wait to see the updates. HURRRRRY!!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
diegosword

nice concept. i hope you can finish it in time. it has lots of parts
diegosword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
at last i finished this concept. i made its head bigger and the drills bigger.its a pitty we cant see parts that conect drills with the upper jaw. and around the mouth i made up a chain-saw to cut through the ice and rocks. now it will fit all in the holle it makes . and to give my self more work i atatched a drill inside of its mouth. now its a real drill monster ready to crush everything in it way. its going to be a real chalange to me.

its sad we have only 4 hours. if had more time i'd animate it to show all of its potential.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
diegosword - thanks man. to be honest: it has from 100 to 1000 parts. devided in 8 sections. but i'll try my best. i'll start modeling tomorrow if there wont be some serious crits about the design frrom a practical side of wiew and if i'll plan the whole process wright.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Nice concept sketch, this'll look great if you can pull it off

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
The second concept is much better and functional. I like how it has that Bulldog feel to it.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
thanks guys. first hour done. kind of slow . wanted to do all the details but allmost finished what i planed to do today . my scills are a little bit rusty. hadn't modeled anything more serious of hard surface about 4 years. basicly used splines for body. and a 8-sideed cylinder. need to learn all the shortcuts in max, cause guys here are realy good modelers.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
love the 2 sketches - and the beginning of the modeling looks promising - don't be humble
to me it seems u still have the goods to be a ace modeler
Old 06-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
bgen - thanks. i'm glad you ike the concept. ace modeler? maybe some day when i'll grow up and be a big fat man .
heres an update. 30 min. work. learned some shortcuts and did a little practice to get used to them. they saved me a lot of time.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
it coming along really great. Become a good modeller sure u will be, but big fat man?
not all modellers are fat blobs doing nothing but eating and CGing *g*
if u like learning shortcuts - u should start learning Blender, that's a shortcut camp - no buttons nuthing
Old 06-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
bgen: Most people have been asking me how i can model so fast. and one thing i did forget to mention is that, i use shortcut keys for EVERYTHING. Max has a bad habit of drop down menus and buttons that you have to scroll to find. I just set shortcut keys for the tools i use the most. saves alot of time.