>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 04-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
hammer88
3D Artisan

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
SMC M#04 - Hammer88 - 19SPSD

I was looking for a new approach and because I suck at modeling SF stuff I wondered.... How would they have done it 100 years ago? Well using a mix of revolutionary technology (solar power) as well as a tried and tested one (steam+trains), so here comes the name: 1900 Solar Powered Steam Drill.
A mix of steam locomotive, crane, drill, 1800's solar receptor...

"the pursuit of perfection"
Me on Twitter HERE
Big Boy steam engine WIP

Last edited by hammer88; 05-02-2010 at 08:38 AM..
hammer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Psycho Mantis
R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho Mantis Send a message via MSN to Psycho Mantis
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason:  Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: For some brilliant comments on the Lara Thread. Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won in the SMC 34 - Mix Me Baby One More Time Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
cool, reminds me a bit of

with that thing, you dont need to drill - you just shoot holes into everything

Trollpost or GTFO!
Psycho Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Gosh you're good at detailed models, excellent so far

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Very nice man. "Ctrl C" and "Ctrl V" for the win.
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
hammer88
3D Artisan

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
thanks...More progress

Me on Twitter HERE
Big Boy steam engine WIP

Last edited by hammer88; 05-02-2010 at 08:38 AM..
Old 04-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Dood your pics take a while to load up. How big are they? Any way that has to be the mother of all drills. This thing has a friggin warehouse on it. lol looks massive, slow, and well modeled.
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
hammer88
3D Artisan

Awards Showcase
They are 0.5 MB big, I have now changed the image hosting site, so I think it should be better now. More progress

Me on Twitter HERE
Big Boy steam engine WIP
Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Tiberiy

cool! I like steam models
Tiberiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
ill

wow, this is coming along very nicely!

love those huge machines, is it a krupps - machine?

got some nice roundup and reference pics about those here
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006...-machines.html
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006...ger-holes.html

maybe they could be useful for you?
ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  SMC 72  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge SMC 74 for making a camera Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge  #68  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: nd place in a speed modelling challenge #66 -  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''pirates'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #68  
Total Awards: 16
oh sh*t Hammer88 joined in on the fight,
nice to see you at this section, and i see you brought your train skills with you
Rachel vd M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
hammer88
3D Artisan

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the reference, actually it's called a "Max brothers" machine (the first name I came upon in the rush). I still have to do the drill and the solar->steam plant, hopefully I'll make it in my remaining hour... still working on the drill concept...

Me on Twitter HERE
Big Boy steam engine WIP
Old 07-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
good one. looks stuning. the share size of it. ceep it up.
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
Dann-O

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Impressive machine there. like the level of detail and the look of it.
Dann-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
hammer88
3D Artisan

Awards Showcase
I'm done with the modeling, although I wish I had more time to do a few more hoses...time to start thinking about textures...

Me on Twitter HERE
Big Boy steam engine WIP
Old 24-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
alfonzoaqui

Oooo....

Steampunk! Love it.
alfonzoaqui is offline   Reply With Quote