>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
alfonzoaqui

SMC M#04 - AlfonzoAqui - Super Rig

Solar Power Drill.

Combining equal parts deep sea drilling rig, the Icarus drilling rig from "Die Another Day", and the Solar Two helio-stat power plant in California.

30 minutes so far in Blender 2.49b.
Attached Images

Last edited by alfonzoaqui; 04-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Forgot Title
alfonzoaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
alfonzoaqui

Another Hour Down

The rig is designed to be split into separate elements and towed on massive skates to a drilling location, then reassembled.

Polygons so far: 225k. Lots of cylinders.

1:30 spent so far.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Have any idea of how this thing will be moved once the hole is drilled. Because it looks very fixed in place and stationary right now.
I can see this drill folding up like a flower and going into the pocket of an even bigger machine...lol.

looks amazing. keep on trucking
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
alfonzoaqui

Its pretty big

The unit assembled is about 32 meters high and 95 meters in diameter.

It has to be disassembled and reassembled on site for drilling each multi-kilometer hole.
The skates on the bottom of each sled rotate independently, allowing the sled to be towed out of position once done. It would require large tractors and cranes to assemble this drill platform, with the collector and support arms loaded on another sled.

How the bore hole vents the steam from drilling I have not yet figured out.
Old 17-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
alfonzoaqui

Tracks

After some consideration, I've add some tracks instead of rear skates, to allow the individual sleds to position themselves.

I also add some storage doors to the sleds, as well as the beam itself.

Poly count is starting to skyrocket: 1,158,759

Time so far: 2:30
Attached Images

Old 17-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
alfonzoaqui

Track details

Details of the tracks themselves. Mirroring, arrays, and curve modifiers to build the actual tracks.
Attached Images

Old 18-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
You must have a pretty good machine to handle all that, or is it struggling in the viewport I know mine would

Detailing looks great so far, really original style.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
alfonzoaqui

My Machine

It's a Amd Dual Core 64 (4400) with 2 gigs ram, running Blender 2.49b on Fedora Core 10 (x86_64).

Yeah, it does struggle a bit, particularly with the tracks (116K polygons X 8 objects). I've got the meshes split out into the mirrors, sleds, tracks, and posts, with 7 duplicates of each mesh. It's more for easy scene management than animation or posing. For that I would have to split the elements, but that is really easy to do with Blender. I kept the original object in layer 1 and put the duplicates in layer 3, and just combine the two for rendering.

Current time to render with AO & raytracing is about 36 seconds with 2 threads.
Old 18-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
alfonzoaqui

Quick And Dirty Wire Frame

A quick and dirty wire frame without raytrace or AO of the major elements.
Attached Images

Old 18-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
Interesting concept. Why do the solar panels flip up?
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
alfonzoaqui

Solar Panels

They're not solar panels per se. They are actually large parabolic mirrors that focus sunlight onto the center collector, where the separate beams are then focused into a single beam. It's called a solar concentrator set-up.

Depending on the size of the array, the temperatures can get quite high. The Solar 2 concentrator in California can hit 1700 degrees (927 degrees Celsius), which is hot enough to boil Sodium crystals. Heck, Aluminium melts at 1350, which is hot enough to char flesh instantly.

Since this setup only has to melt ice, the temperature beam delivers doesn't have to be high, it just has to be powerful enough to pierce the steam that will come boiling out of the hole. But if you drill at a slight angle, the steam will rise to the top of the bore hole as it rushes to escape, leaving the beam unaffected. Or so the theory says.

Last edited by alfonzoaqui; 18-02-2010 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: change a term
Old 18-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
Tox

I guess this are mirrors and not solar panels. The tower in the middle focus the sun light to burn through the ice, if i understood that right.

Edit: to slow lol
Tox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #13
alfonzoaqui

Cranes and Booms

The comments by TNT got me thinking about how this thing will assemble, and I realized, with a little work, that it could self assemble. So I added an extending boom crane with a hook to the front of the sled, and switched out the front blade for another tractor unit. This way the sleds can approach the concentrator, latch on, and lift it up together as one unit.

Polygons: 1,634,993
Render time: 1 min
Time so far: 3:15 <- almost done
Attached Images

Old 19-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
happymat27

I love the concept and very nicely realised
happymat27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #15
Tiberiy

for more efficient use of solar panels to direct them to one side) and the concept of a large and ambitious! want to see the final render
Tiberiy is offline   Reply With Quote