>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #46
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Clients want to pay the least they can, artists want to get paid the most they can.

If something costs $5, then it's worth $5... tell that to child laborers.

People very very rarely pay for something, what it is worth. More often than not, you will over pay.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #47
Nukie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobi View Post

Sorry about "spoiled", I've not meant anything rude, it's just my poor english, and I didn't find similar (but less rude) word to describe.
I gotta lots of friends from northern-western countries, and they're not spoiled at all. I was pointing on rather "bigger picture", then individual, neither I wanted to address you personally.

Cheers mate!
Don't need to sorry, I am not offended. I was just underlining the fact because I believe it is so. I rather live in a country where everyone can get along instead of living in a country where your neighbours are practically strangers.

About the money: Its not all about the money. First let me say that I don't mind doing a job for a lesser price, but it totally depends on the client and the job.
But as I said: its not all about the money. As a freelancer, you are running is business, simple as that. And a business should provide a quality service to its clients. My clients may pay a bit more maybe, but they can expect me to provide a good service for it too. I can not use an unhappy client, as happy clients tent to come back more often or spread a good word for you.

I don't know. Maybe people who are willing to do a job for $200,- also provide a good service. Or maybe the people buying from them just don't care much about it.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #48
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobi View Post
Thanks.
I appreciate everyone opinion too, no matter if I agreed, or no.

However, I always gets myself confused when looking in the treads like this.
For Gods sake! You live in the UK. How's that you can't find some, even small studio, and get salary better then Freelancing?
you've not tried to get a permanent job over here then

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #49
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
you've not tried to get a permanent job over here then
i have looked into working.. but urr.. i dont know.. no joy... no one wants to have a scitzo in the office.. the term scares them...

i swear.. because of that one word.. i get treated worst than.. a well you know.. a black guy back in the 40's..

i have thus named it scitzophobia...

plus in our country.. alot of companies go through agencies.. and if you dont whore yourself to these agencies.. you get no where... and well agencies are fickle.. if they dont see this that and the other.. they'll say ooo you cant do it.. we cant put you forward... and before you know it.. your circling the whole..

of working on something to fit gap.. then finding thats jobs already gone.. and then the next job needs another new model.. you just end up not being able to keep up... it sucks..

once upon a time.. i was strong willed.. reliable.. if i didnt know something i'd go bust a hump to learn it... since last year.. i dont know.. it just gets harder and harder to keep motivated.. i mean whats the point.. in working on things when you know no one's gonna hire a mentally ill guy.. with a record...
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #50
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
have to say.. everyone has made some real interesting points on this subject.. i am impressed...
Old 08-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #51
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
i managed to get a full time job here in uk around 5 months ago and am still with them im currently on around 300 A WEEK take home and im doing 2-3 models a week so there is work out there if your not a greedy ******* ;-)

also i got the job from this site cheers 3dtotal

Last edited by needse; 08-07-2011 at 11:52 AM..
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatneedse! Thank you:
Neil_F01 (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #52
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
cool.. i'm not greedy.. that i have never been.. all i want is a comfortable life.. money so i can take chicks out dates. and not have to look like a tool when it comes to paying..
Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #53
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
lol that's fair enough mate
Greatneedse! Thank you:
Neil_F01 (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #54
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_F01 View Post
all i want is a comfortable life.. money so i can take chicks out dates. and not have to look like a tool when it comes to paying..
well then you have to work hard and become a real pro.
if you are a freelancer or a worker at some companie - rules are the same - good workers are very valueble . every one wants them to work on their projects and they treat those workers with respect cause they are afraid to loose them. well and if you are not so great and are simply average or worse then you will be a "tool" that gets the work no one wants to mess with and get less money. same goes with the freelancers: when a client offers you a job, he knows what you are capable of and knows what he wants and has a price that he is willing to pay for your work. so if you are a real pro and he knows it he will not offer you small amount of money cause he knows you wont take it, but if he deciedes that you are a average worker he will rip you off and will fight for the last peny cause he will feel riped off too if he pays more.
i know it sounds unpleasent and dont take it personal, but thats the cruel world we live in and we have to fight in every step of our lifes if we want to acheve our goals.
and as for your scitzo thing , i can say i dont see any problem with this as long as you are not runing around with a chainsaw or an axe and killing people. i have a phylosophy that you must try to understand every one you are working with and try to find a way to comunicate with them. and allso you must respect your colegues cause they are human beings just like you . and this phylosophy let me work thruoh my all life with various people from very good and pleasent to a realy evil and unstable ones. and all of them vere realy good people.
so if they are afraid of this one word in you bio then they are bunch of pu$$ys and have real social problems.
good luck
P.S. if somehow i have offended you than sorry - no intentions. i just have a strong temper and sometimes i can be very straight forward.
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatpaulius-st! Thank you:
Neil_F01 (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #55
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulius-st View Post
well then you have to work hard and become a real pro.
if you are a freelancer or a worker at some companie - rules are the same - good workers are very valueble . every one wants them to work on their projects and they treat those workers with respect cause they are afraid to loose them. well and if you are not so great and are simply average or worse then you will be a "tool" that gets the work no one wants to mess with and get less money. same goes with the freelancers: when a client offers you a job, he knows what you are capable of and knows what he wants and has a price that he is willing to pay for your work. so if you are a real pro and he knows it he will not offer you small amount of money cause he knows you wont take it, but if he deciedes that you are a average worker he will rip you off and will fight for the last peny cause he will feel riped off too if he pays more.
i know it sounds unpleasent and dont take it personal, but thats the cruel world we live in and we have to fight in every step of our lifes if we want to acheve our goals.
and as for your scitzo thing , i can say i dont see any problem with this as long as you are not runing around with a chainsaw or an axe and killing people. i have a phylosophy that you must try to understand every one you are working with and try to find a way to comunicate with them. and allso you must respect your colegues cause they are human beings just like you . and this phylosophy let me work thruoh my all life with various people from very good and pleasent to a realy evil and unstable ones. and all of them vere realy good people.
so if they are afraid of this one word in you bio then they are bunch of pu$$ys and have real social problems.
good luck
P.S. if somehow i have offended you than sorry - no intentions. i just have a strong temper and sometimes i can be very straight forward.
dont worry about not offended.. hell i was sorta married to a german.. i like blunt people.. the more blunt the better...

but i agree.. not sure i'm a real pro.. although i'm not a novice.. and i'm not average either.. i dont.. know.. whats defined as average these days.. i dont know.. lol..

what i do know.. is that i'm well out of practise.. and well out of motivation right now.. so i'm up **** creek whatever.. lol
Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #56
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
chin up and keep stabbing at it mate. you'll crack it in the end
Greatneedse! Thank you:
Neil_F01 (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #57
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
cheers... i'm sure at somepoint i'll lift the finger again.. i dont know.. i think at best.. i've just gotta get through this year... i dont know.. if i keep doing what i'm doing.. on the path that i'm taking.. i'll be back on my feet at somepoint..
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #58
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
that good then if you understood me .
as for practise i allways suggest people to go beyond their capabilities. as i remember youre past projects you have issues in organics and characters, but you are kind of strond in inorganics. but rendering and lighting isnt your strong side. so i understand you are hardsurface modeler by nature. i suggest you than build a strong nonorganic portfolio. nothing big just a few very detailed models rangeing from architecture to some scifi designs. i see you have the balls to make awesome stuff but you dont show it. at least here. so my suggestion is - go and take a look out side. look for inspiration and then go to a drawing board for some ideas and start modeling.
Neil_F01 (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #59
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
yeah characters arent my strong point.. neither is texture building.. lol..

as for lighting.. nah i'm ok at lights. it just my old machine cant cope with anything with rendering.. where as my new machine i can finally get the chance to explore the true depth of vray...

i've been working on a car recently.. i like doing vehicles.. i'm alright at that..

and i love playing with particles..
Old 08-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #60
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
so you have allready decieded your path. make some cars, tanks ..... and blow them up . isnt this car you are making a transformer? i remember you starting a wip of some retro sports car as a transformer.
Neil_F01 (08-07-2011)