>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Matte Painting

Old 21-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
alexia

Alexia - the Lost Jungle

YEAH!! When I read this month theme is 'The Lost Jungle', I immediately visualize a jungle beneath the earth which is lively and beautiful. So here is my creation.

By the way, this is my first time doing matte painting. Pls do comment. ^_^
Attached Images

alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Send a message via MSN to tjerkotten
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
Hi Alexia,

You should first post some wip pictures so we can comment on them. If we have to comment on this piece as the final piece its not going to help because its your final. If you are still working on the piece perhaps you like these tips.

- When you copy objects ( like your cave is a mirrored version ) You should change some stuff in the copied version so they don't look like they were copied.

- You could work on the lightrays, they are very " foggy " at this time. It absords the color from the picture.

- The plant picture you used it a pretty cool one, although when you place the object in the shadow, it should not be reflecting light, because it can't.

- You could change the aspect ratio of the picture a little bit so it gets a more " cinema " angle

- The bushes that you blurred on the middle right of the picture should not be blurred, because they are in the same depth as the other bushes.

I hope you can build on these comments and work on the project a little further.

Nice idea, keep it going....
tjerkotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
2BIG3k

Send a message via ICQ to 2BIG3k
Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
Pretty good for a first matte.
As for the rays you could experiment a little with multiple copys and different blend modes in photoshop so they don't obscure your painting too much, but react on your underlying elements.
2BIG3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
alexia

Thanks tjerk and 2big3k for ur comment.
I have worked on it and here is an updated.
Attached Images

Old 22-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
alexia

I change the color abit for this piece. And i have added firefly into it. To create a more mystic feeling to it.
Attached Images

Old 22-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Send a message via MSN to tjerkotten
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
It looks much better already. Nice progression.

The trees behind the waterfall look blurred. If you want it too look real, they should not be blurred as much as you did, because you would put the focus of the picture in the front. You did really good by working on it...If you want the focus more on the blue glowing lights, you should make the " above ground " scene darker. Keep updating! ...
tjerkotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
alexia

Ok here is the slight updates!
Attached Images

Old 26-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Looking better and better, has a very small world feel to it like fairies and pixies would live there, was that the intension for the scale to be that way?
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
alexia

Thanks chunkymunky~

Yes Yes!! A lively jungle underneath the earth like a cave where magical creatures live in, a jungle lost to man-kind. Initially, i wanted to place in fairies but it looks kinda weird, so i took it off.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
alexia

here is mine making of lost jungle... let me know if you guys want to see other stuff ^_^
Attached Images

Old 27-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Sweet, would like to see a larger composited making of though if at all possible
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
Standesign

Nice work alexia I really like the fairy tale feeling in your work :P love the butterflies and the colored lights spots ^^ best luck for this challenge !!
Regards Stan
Standesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #13
alexia

Thanks Stan and Chunkymunky!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #14
alexia

Unhappy

haha!! i don't know i have to submitted to the final thread for the competitions. I guess I have to try next month. ^_^
Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
Akim

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge The Coming of Ice Challenge: Polar Colony Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge  
alexia, Hi!

Im in the same situation, same as few participants.
Ask Surebit for help, I think he will solve this problem.
So I think our works must be in final thread
Akim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost jungle