>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Speed Modelling

Old 19-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
happymat27

SMC#04 happymat27 - Solar Ice Drilling

Hi,

here's my design for a drilling machine. It's been a while since I actually modelled anything for fun so I'm looking forward to making this.
Attached Images

happymat27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
happymat27

Here's a leg, I've kept it as simple as I can because of the time constraints
Attached Images

Old 19-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
How do you plan on implementing the solar panels?
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
happymat27

Hey there,

cheers for the question. The panels are going to be held above the main body... hopefully you'll get the idea from the attached image.

Mat
Attached Images

Old 19-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
happymat27

ok,

I've finished modelling my machine, here's a couple of screen grabs from along the way. Once the leg was finished the rest was pretty simple to make the body, drill and solar panels. The entire modelling process took 3 hours and 49 minutes.
I spent a little over an hour rigging it and am currently working on making a nice render.
Attached Images

Old 19-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
happymat27

Here's snapshot 2 which shows the finished model in all it's simplistic glory

Like I said in my first post, it's been a while since I modelled anything for fun so this has been brilliant fun, I'm glad I found this contest
Attached Images

Old 19-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
happymat27

This is where I am at with making a nice render of the model. I'm quite pleased with the lighting so far, I'll probably tinker with it a little more before I'm totally satisfied with it but hey see what happens.
The body and legs of the contraption are going to be worn paint which should be fairly straight forward and the drill is going to be some kind of metal I guess.
Attached Images

Old 21-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
happymat27

Hello all,

I managed to fit in some time to sort out a pretty render this afternoon, here's the result.
I've just stuck with procedural textures for the model to save time on unwrapping the UV's and It's rendered in MR with the physical sun & sky node applied.

There we have it then... unless anyone has any suggestions I think I'll call it a day on this one and sort out a clay render and some wire shots.

Ooh, I forgot to mention.... I spent eight minutes making the lights around the bottom of the body part of the drill taking my total modelling time to 3 hours and 57 mins.... squeezing every last drop out of the alloted 240 mins!!

Cheers,

Mat
Attached Images

Old 22-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Aramor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
I really like it.

Reminds me of the moisture farms on Tatooine. Except with less sand.

So, following that rational, I'll leave this empty.

Wait...
Aramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
great concept, followed very good, nice clean and detailed modeling, nice render
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
happymat27

Thanks for the kind remarks, just about to post my final images in the submition forum. Good luck to everyone who has taken part in this challenge,

Mat

Tags
driller, happymat27, ice, solar