>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Digital Painting

Old 29-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
The Lost Jungle - Digital Paint - Tomb Raider

Digital Painting Challenge no. 05
Subject – Tomb Raider

Thread Naming: Your Name – Tomb Raider
Keep all questions in this thread

Idea:

The King of Kings is said to be buried in an undisclosed location. No one has been able to unearth him. With all the tips and clues to help guide the way, his tomb remains untouched. Tomb Raiders from across the globe seek to find him, knowing that revealing his whereabouts will surely lead them to fame and riches. Locating his final resting place is their key to ever lasting fame. Only the best of the best are up to the task at hand, but only one will be victorious.

Requirements:

Your job if for this challenge is to depict a Tomb Raider type character. In the mist of raiding a tomb, or just hanging out at home, that’s up to you. Sketches are fine for your works in progress, but the final image needs to be fully rendered.

Deadline:

Friday 11:59 pm (GMT) April 30th

Deliverables:

All entrants are required to provide the following in the final entry:
• A work in progress (WIP) sheet
• A final image

WIP Sheet:

A WIP sheet is a compilation of images showcasing your creative process, from the initial sketches to the final image.

Final Image Sizes:

For the judging stage we will accept submissions as .JPG files at 72dpi – screen resolution – at approx. 800-1000 pixels wide. All submitted images must, however, be available in print resolution: 300dpi – print resolution – at approx. 3000-4000 pixels wide, or above. In case you win, you may be featured in 2dArtist Magazine.

Restrictions:

-All images, including concepts, sketches, 3D assets, etc. must be made specifically for this contest.

-No teams or groups – everything must be made by one person.

-Keep gore and nudity to a decent level, no explicit scenes.

-Winners may be asked to cooperate in an interview about themselves and their work, and provide detailed ‘making of’ articles accompanied by high-resolution work in progress stills for 2DArtist Magazine after the competition.

-You must create a W.I.P thread to show your work in progress

Prizes:

1st Place

e-on software - Ozone 4.0 - worth $295
Gnomon - Any training DVD (download) - worth approx $60
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40
3DTotal - t-shirt*

2nd Place

Gnomon - Any training DVD (download) - worth approx $60
3DTotal - Any 2 ebooks - worth approx $30
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20
3DTotal - t-shirt*

3rd Place
3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15
3DTotal - t-shirt*

4th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt*

5th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt*

*3DTotal t-shirt can be swapped for a 3DTotal ebooks if you already own one

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
animationutz
Animation is life!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
sounds cool. im in
"You dont' do it for money, or you're a monkey. You don't think of the bottom line, or you're a monkey. You don't think of it in terms of hourly wage, yearly wage, even lifetime wage, or you're a monkey. In the end you don't even do it for love, although it would be nice to think so. You do it because to not do it is suicide."
-Stephen King
animationutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

nice! I know I'm in
________
Yamaha Fzr1000

Last edited by wargrafix; 04-05-2011 at 03:11 PM..
wargrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Sinistral

Sounds good. I'm in (although away all next week so won't get a chance to start until I'm back....
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
i'm in as well, I want a t-shirt...
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Oh I loved Tomb Raider, this is gonna be so good to see all the different interpretations of the character
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Sinistral

Any issues with copyright for this?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
Any issues with copyright for this?
your not copying Tomb Raider, your making your own.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

Agreed. Its alot better that we are not restricted to the lara croft franchise.

My design conforms to the fact I like to draw beautiful women. I go Spelunking and hiking, so i know a few liberal design alterations to the standard gear. Lara Croft is iconic, but you can do almost anything with a tomb raider concept.

I could have drawn a slightly obese guy raiding tombs in the Atacama desert, but that would have bored me to tears. For someone else, they can make a wicked design out of that.

Thats proof of the talented guys and gals in the forum.
________
CHEAP GLASS BONGS

Last edited by wargrafix; 04-05-2011 at 03:13 PM..
Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 AM   #10
Crevasse

Can image have an emphasis on the scene rather than the character. Like a small-ish person at the edge of the this expansive area. Or should it be more about the raider itself?
Crevasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #11
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
that's up to you.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 11-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #12
CHAO5

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 5
hey,

nice challenge. im game.

cheers
CHAO5
Old 15-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
agrmrs

hi mate ..... i read the rules and eager to participate it .....got little 2 questions

1)should i begin to paint it in 300dpi
2)can i make my resolution in 800 pix height ( not the width )

thanx
agrmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
start at the highest resolution your machine can handle, that you would normally work at. You want your final piece to be at it's best quality incase you print it.

800-1000 pixels wide, that's just to give you an idea of what your image should look like. You don't have to use those numbers if you don't want.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 16-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #15
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

I use the D.A.M. standard. makes life easier. My machine hates me for it though.
________
Threesome

Last edited by wargrafix; 04-05-2011 at 03:21 PM..