>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Digital Painting

Old 28-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #46
migroe

one word: awesome!!! love it an I don't think it needs any further effects like dof...
migroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #47
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
yo, i appreciate the support dudes. anyways this might be the final one, not sure whether its better than the previous or not though. only difference is lighting and its not really a drastic change.

i kinda wanted to add other elemets like shadowy baddies like aby arty suggested but at the same time i didnt wanna infused a supernatural feel to it, rather just a regular thriller kinda thing.

Anyways which do people like better?
Attached Images

Old 28-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #48
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Send a message via MSN to tjerkotten
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
I really love this piece, but if this is your final you should give a little more lighting, so that the characters get more depth and it looks more like a final picture....

something like this. ( hope you don't mind )

tjerkotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #49
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! 
yo! thanks tjerkotten, i've tweaked my pic, might be a bit high contrast now though lol. still , whatd u think?
Attached Images

Old 28-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #50
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP View Post
yo! thanks tjerkotten, i've tweaked my pic, might be a bit high contrast now though lol. still , whatd u think?
Hi, you should look if you could get rid of the red " lightrays " than it should be good. We should see what others think, but i think it suits the picture much better.
Old 28-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #51
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
yeah now ur talkin pardner.

u know bluish grey trees will reallygive it a feel of a rainforest of death, u shud try that.

right now it is looking like tv series lost. the tob raider element is faint in here , and the skull is still going unnoticed .

u knw what u can do make it so that they are entering ruins of some building or structure.

u could change the tree in the forefront to a fallen pillar wth some engravings or glyphs , or mybe a warning sign buried under it.

and there needs to be feeling that the trees are way too tall , and the sunlight is coming thru them in very fine rays , show some part of the ground lit updue to ray falling there. u could use some lens flare as well.

build up the wall on the side too , its looking as if its sort of a lump.

and u could more on here face.

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #52
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
[QUOTE=aby arty;787304]yeah now ur talkin pardner.

u know bluish grey trees will reallygive it a feel of a rainforest of death, u shud try that....QUOTE]

So you prefered that he created another picture :-p I actually like the mood in this picture. The hunters are walking through the forest into a darker part thinking that there is nowone around. They think they can get out of the forest alive, but only we " the viewers " can see that the skull behind the fallen tree. It represents that something is coming. The hunters don't know that yet. So the viewer wants to say " look out!, don't step over that tree " That is what i feel with the picture. I think its pretty good.

Last edited by tjerkotten; 28-04-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Old 28-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #53
CLP

Awards Showcase
hey guys:

@tjerkotten, when u say remove the red rays im uncertain as to whether u mean remove the sunray things completely or move the hue away from the reddish colour thats there now?

@aby arty: yeh some of those suggestions might take a lotta time to implement... although i certainly agree that its not quite tomb-ish. in the outline i did there was some kinda structure on the right which may hav had glyphs and stuff complete but i opted to remove it because it felt just a tad too outta place.

i feel like its pretty complete really as if i added much more it might seem somewhat jumbled.
Old 28-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #54
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
I cant crit this, amazing!! well done oo, one thing, ive come back to edit this her face may....may be a bit to white compared to her neck still really good though
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #55
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
well i never said it was a bad piece , i just said few things can be added.
its always upto you CLP , if u think its feasable go ahead with it if u think theres no time then leave it.

well after tjerkotten put his point of view of forward i think u only need to tweak the lighting a lil and her face is a lil flat.

but if you do wish to change the tree u can copy all layers u used for it and then merge and play with the hue and saturation.

if u want to do a pillar just copy the layers merge and do it flat black then wth large brushess put the color of ur pillar , to make the pillar faster select wth lasso and fill thn clean up the edges.

in the end its upto you.

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #56
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
[QUOTE=CLP;787314]hey guys:

@tjerkotten, when u say remove the red rays im uncertain as to whether u mean remove the sunray things completely or move the hue away from the reddish colour thats there now?....QUOTE]

I think you should remove the rays all together. Keeping the attention on the characters. I don't think we need to see the lightsource in this picture because the characters are so close to camera.
Old 28-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #57
migroe

it's also my opinion that a little bit more light is good. but like tjerkotten i think that the rays are not usefull in this case. to me the painting has this wet, dark mood full of suspense and these rays don't fit in here.

but that's just my taste, the picture's still wow!
migroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #58
Tirael K.S.

The rainy weather looking good,great atmosphere
Tirael K.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #59
CLP

Awards Showcase
woo im considering this my final entry as I'm tired and i wanna watch NCIS and Numbers.....lol

anyway thanks to everyone for their crits and support. Good luck to everyone and see y'all next challenge, unless dominance war comes first...i cant remember when that happens
Attached Images

Old 28-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #60
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
This is a final piece. Great work!