>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Digital Painting

Old 14-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
TimWinkelman

TimWinkelman - TombRaider

I was busy and didn't compete for a few months, but now I'm back. Here is the start of my painting. I decided to go with a female tomb raider and there has to be a whip. I always liked the skeleton sword fight in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, so this picture has skeleton fighting in the tomb. A big skull idol with a fire in it's mouth is beyond the door in the other room.

I will need to redraw the skeleton in the background with the spear. He is too large and I would like his pose to be more dynamic. Aside from that, I am prety happy with this picture so far.
Attached Images

TimWinkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
can't leave out the whip.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
vnmribaya

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 75 ''Deep Sea Creature'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' 
Total Awards: 8
the wip, like indy
vnmribaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Howdy Partner

Sinbad is ace!
Howdy Partner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
TimWinkelman

Thanks for your comments guys. Here is another WIP. I have redrawn the back skeleton and added more contrast. I am just starting to refine the figures.
Attached Images

Old 22-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
vnmribaya

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 75 ''Deep Sea Creature'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' 
Total Awards: 8
looking cool, keep it comming
vnmribaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #7
TimWinkelman

Thanks, here is another WIP. I think I will be ready to go to color soon.
Attached Images

Old 23-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
prosn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
cool man....like mummy coming waiting 4r color wip, keep it up buddy.

Facebook Page-
www.facebook.com/prosnarts
prosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Not bad at all, can't wait for more detailing and colouring
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
she in for an adventure. it look like she holding a snake right now instead on a whip.
Old 26-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
TimWinkelman

The whip did get kind of fat, but I think I'll just go with it. Here it is ready to start painting with color. I've added a shadow to the Tomb Raider and applied the Sepia Browns gradient to the image.
Attached Images

Old 27-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
looking good

but i think u shud first try and stand like ur raider , its a painful posture , check her legs too.

and the undead in forefront needs a lil bit more work.

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
TimWinkelman

I just made up the pose out of my head without any reference material. Now that you mention it, it does look like the knee is twisted farther than most people would find comfortable.

The skeleton is not rendered as completely as I want it to be. I was going to try and fix it when I paint color. This may turn out to be a bad idea. I think that I really should have gotten the grayscale image more finished before I started coloring it. Next month I may go back to drawing with a pencil because my computer can't draw very well.

Here is a WIP with some preliminary color. I think I won't have time to fix all of the things that I probably should. I will probably just be able to do some more color painting and then call it finished before the deadline. I learned a few things and maybe I can do better next month.
Attached Images

Old 30-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #14
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
dont be shy on adding hard shadow to make every thing pop out.
Old 30-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #15
TimWinkelman

Thanks for the advice. I think I sometimes do have trouble getting enough hard edges into my digital pictures.

At this point, I am pretty much out of time, so I will post this as my final image. I didn't manage to achieve everything I wanted to, but I had fun painting and I learned a few things.
Attached Images