>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge

Old 24-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Photo Modelling Challenge #39 - Big Trak

Each week or two myself or 3D Total's photo resource will provide a set of photo's to model from.

Each challenge we would like all who participate to model from the same references to learn, improve or showcase your ability in modelling from a photo set.

In my version of this challenge there are no limits to how many tris/quads you wish to use, but I would like to see you all try to match the photo as closely as possible in size & shape aswell as texturing too.

The Rules

Please post your wires, clays, & any texture sheets and final renders in this thread, wip and on topic chat is also fine here too, these challenges are supposed to be fun and we are not too strict on the rules.

The Prizes

The only prizes are a gold, silver and bronze awards dictated by these lovely little icons

Deadline Date: Friday 10.00pm GMT 7th November 2014

Deadline Timer

This Weeks Challenge:

In this challenge i'd like to see you model an old school toy from back in the day, Big Trak was a programmable electric vehicle created by Milton Bradley in 1979, resembling a futuristic Sci-Fi tank / utility vehicle, possibly for use on the Moon or a Planetoid style environment. The original Big Trak was a six-wheeled (two-wheel drive) tank with a front-mounted blue "photon beam" headlamp, and a keypad on top. The toy could remember up to 16 commands, which it then executed in sequence. There also was an optional cargo trailer accessory, with the U.K. version being white to match its colour scheme; once hooked to the Bigtrak, this trailer could be programmed to dump its payload.

In 2010, BIG TRAK was relaunched in the form of a slightly modified replica (cosmetically very similar to the original U.K. bigtrak), produced under licence by Zeon Ltd. There is also a small dedicated Internet community who have reverse engineered the BIG TRAK and the Texas Instruments TMS1000 microcontroller inside it.

Reference Pictures

Ref Pics (About 5.7mb)
Attached Images

Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
This challenge will be temporarily closed as i'm wasting my time with nobody participating
Twitter
Old 08-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
Sorry to hear that buddy, but that's pretty much an ongoing trend at this forum at the moment, and have been for a while.

Not only the challanges, but the whole forum too, we get less post and it seems that we get less views too.65members have visited the site today , sound low maybe it isnt? and it's mostly the same people day after day too.

somehow we have to turn this around, but I don't know how, and I have no idea if other forums suffer from this too, as this is the only one i would say that im active on.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
there is usually a drop around this time & the run up to christmas, then it builds up again in the new year due to the colder weather, i have noticed a slump, but been busy myself too.
Twitter
Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Stepping Down...

Hiya everyone, it's with a heavy heart I have to say that i've gotta step down as a mod here, recently my personal and working life has gained more and more of my free time, I still visit frequently, but can no longer dedicate any more time & effort towards the speed modelling or photo modelling challenges. I hope to still visit as often as possible and wish to thank everyone for making my time here as a moderator a happy one, i've made some great friends and had a blast creating my own artwork for everyone to share with.

Thanks for over 8000 posts, 753 thanks, & 8 years of speed modelling, moderating & judging

See you all soon
Twitter
Great ClassicGamer-3DT! For Thanks for3:
ish (20-11-2014), miguelito08 (14-11-2014), peri (13-11-2014)
Old 13-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Hey,

sad to hear that but at the same time, I have to plead guilty as I haven't been participating in SMC / PMC for a while now. I guess it's just how it goes. Another forum I was active on is pretty much dead in the water. People grow up, have more responsabilities, less time in the evening etc.

Anyway, big up for all your hard work and dedication. I improved my modelling thanks to all these challenges.

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatMcFly! Thank you:
ClassicGamer-3DT (13-11-2014)
Old 20-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
ish

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Winner of a photo modeling challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd place in a photo modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC #88 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Honorable mention in a speed modeling challenge 
Total Awards: 7
i am sad to hear you re leaving, i must admit i learned lots of things even though i attended recently following your forums. your messages were always warm and welcome, thanks and good luck
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatish! Thank you:
ClassicGamer-3DT (20-11-2014)