>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 29-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #31
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
The shadows are completely handled by max, so I have no control over how they are rendered. I could take a shot at doing my own shadows, but that might be a rather time-consuming endevour.

What kind of anti-aliasing are you refering too? Do you want anti-aliasing on the edges of models?

Most of what I've learned about this stuff I learned by picking apart shaders made by others. It was an EXTREMELY steep learning curve at first. The Microsoft online reference is fairly helpful once oyu get going a little bit.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...61(VS.85).aspx
It also really helped that I took several years of programming classes in school.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #32
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Total Awards: 4
Loving it. Just finished work a few hours ago, but could resist messing about with your new updated version. Found a bit of a problem though and I'm not sure whether it's my graphics card or not, but I've made an example for you to see (This is the no shadows one by the way) See what you think

I think Poopipe and I should be your official testers lol Hopefully, I should be able to model something and texture it based on this shader to make sure though. A light bulb or something, I don't know. Keep up the good work
Old 29-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #33
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Hmmmm...not sure what's going on there. I had a similar problem early in the development of the shader, but I fixed it. Here's what the test scene looks like that I used while writing that shader. It seems to be pretty rock solid for me. Maybe by seeing how I intended it to be used, does that help at all?
Attached Images

Old 29-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #34
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
The shadows are completely handled by max, so I have no control over how they are rendered. I could take a shot at doing my own shadows, but that might be a rather time-consuming endevour.

What kind of anti-aliasing are you refering too? Do you want anti-aliasing on the edges of models?

Most of what I've learned about this stuff I learned by picking apart shaders made by others. It was an EXTREMELY steep learning curve at first. The Microsoft online reference is fairly helpful once oyu get going a little bit.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...61(VS.85).aspx
It also really helped that I took several years of programming classes in school.
shadows : oh right. doesn't really sound like it's worth the hassle does it?

anti-aliasing : yeah - your standard FSAA. After reading a bit I'm now assuming that's lower level than the shaders

refs : Thanks very much I should have thought of microsoft really but I'd been concentrating on OGL as it's what we use at work.
I try not to think about anymore but I spent a few years coding for a living - some of it in C so I'm familiar enough with syntax etc. I just don't know much about the graphics pipelines or 3d maths.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 02:42 AM   #35
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
The glow in your example seems to work much better than in mine. I think I need to play with it some more. Looking forwards to producing a fully blow model catered for this shader The glow was just I needed for my next idea...
Old 30-11-2008, 03:02 AM   #36
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Ok, I got a solid reflection shader working. It required me to come up with completely new math for alot of things, but its working well so far.

Shader_Donze_Env.fx

Shader_Donze_Env_NoShadows.fx

There is one interesting new feature to be aware of - I have set this up so that the alpha channel of the normal map is a used as a reflectivity map. So, by painting parts of the normal map alpha darker, you can mask out the reflections.

You may be wondering why I keep using all of these alpha channels for this stuff rather than just having separate maps. Well, by using an alpha channel, you can fit this info into a pre-exsisting map rather than have a whole new map. This helps performance for two reasons. First, fewer maps means less memory required. Additionally, when you have extra maps, the GPU has to read information from each of those maps which takes time, slowing framerate. Its pretty standard in the industry to try and cram as much info in as few maps as possible.
Old 30-11-2008, 03:47 AM   #37
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Clever buzzy. I too hate having to make a million maps. Some shaders take up to 8 maps plus. Whats worse is that some require the map slots to be filled. Having said that (as I'm not trashing other shaders) They look lovely when they are filled in, but it's not suited for games. That's why this shader reign's supreme , and I find that everything just works which is very important to me. I hate working on stuff with doubt in my mind.

By the why, I know I've asked this before, but I remember you saying something about posting you skin shader at some point
Edit: I not sure there is a good way of mapping a spherical map... I'll give it my best shot if you like. How many poly's do you want in it? (like for the sphere that is) I'll have it ready for you sometime tomorrow if you want.

Last edited by Chung Wong; 30-11-2008 at 03:52 AM..
Chung Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 03:47 AM   #38
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Oh yeah. The reflection shader requires a dds-format cube map. For those of you that have no idea what a cubemap is or how to make one, Here's some that I made:

Outdoor desert scene, not sure where it came from - skyBox.dds
The same scene, but blurred and shrunk. Good for doing a brushed metal look - skyBox_Blur.dds
Outdoor city scene, created from one of the HDR images that ships with max - skyBox2.dds

I can make more for anyone if you give me a good spherical map. I'm not really sure the best way of making cubemaps, but my method is a bit too overly complex for me to try to teach anyone.

Last edited by Buzzy; 30-11-2008 at 04:54 PM..
Old 30-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #39
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Chung, by spherical map, I meant simply a landscape-type of image that can be wrapped around a sphere. Here's an example (this is the image that I created the city cubemap from...this image ships with Max)

When I said "I'm not really sure the best way of making them, but my method is a bit too overly complex ...blah blah....etc" I was referring to making cubemaps. Spheremaps are pretty basic.
Attached Images

Old 30-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #40
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
So it is a spherical map you want doing isn't it? to fix the pic above yeah? I can get that done for you. As for a cube map.... I not even sure what that is... Could brief explanation of what it actually does?

Oh and I'll have the sphere unwrap for you next post.

Last edited by Chung Wong; 30-11-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Old 30-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #41
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
The whole reason I brought up sphere maps is because I was offering to turn them into cubemaps for anyone. I only posted a few examples of cubemaps, but if someone wanted to have reflections of something other than a desert or run-down city, they would need to make their own cubemap. But, like you just said, few people understand cubemaps, let alone how to make them. So, if you give me a regular environment map (aka sphere map) I can turn it into a cubemap for you so that it will work with the shader.

A cubemap is a series of 6 images, compressed together. These 6 images represent the 6 sides of a cube. If mapped to a cube, the cubemap will create a seamless environment. Here's an example of what the above sphere map looks like once its converted into a cubemap. Also, an image of the cubemap applied to a cube and a sphere. Please note that this is what the uncompressed cubemap looks like....you can't actually use it in this state.
Attached Images

Old 30-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #42
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
Interesting texture talk here. Makes me wish i was a 3dmax user. Im sure maya is also capable. Anyone know of links to get these effects in Maya? Nice work creating these Buzzy.
E4sY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #43
Chung Wong

Awards Showcase
Erm, I have a sphere unwrapped for you (Not sure if this is what you wanted), kinda like the one on your image above... have it saved as a zip but unsure of how to attach it to this post. I can send it to you via e-mail or something if you like.

Edit: Just read your last post properly. It sound like you don't need this done and that you are actually infact offering to help people out. That's pretty cool of you. If that is the case then you probably don't need it. But if you do just let me know

Last edited by Chung Wong; 01-12-2008 at 05:54 AM..
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #44
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
e4sy : Maya does support DX viewport shaders but I doubt the shadow implementation is the same.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 AM   #45
dark_maggot
Carlos Venegas 3D Modeler

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 2
Great work

Love the Shaders Keep up the great work.

Here is screenshot of my latest model.
Attached Images

dark_maggot is offline   Reply With Quote