>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 11-03-2008, 03:06 AM   #16
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I've been doing lots of tweaking, and slow, steady work... I should be done with all the modeling in the next few days, thankfully, and after a day or so of UVmapping, I can start digging into ZBrush and really working my guy.
I'm changing his name! He is Nahazcoatl, the Light-Eater. Being completely blind, the silent Nahazcoatl wields an ancient artifact: an old silver lamp that causes darkness, like an eclipse, and in the total blackness his enemies never, ever hear him coming. He is not a warrior, since he has never needed to cross blades: he is an assassin and executioner, and few but his own people have ever seen him.
I've given him a tail, and he'll be decked out in silent, un-glamorous mayan-looking rags. Any kind of suggestions anyone may have?? I'll need them soon, before I start normalmapping/texturing!
Attached Images

Last edited by Conejo Blanco; 11-03-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Conejo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #17
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Nice update....your model is looking really solid. I love the hands/forearm. I think the tail could use one more horizontal edge loop, but other than that it's solid.

About clothing suggestions, I kinda like him in the loin cloth...maybe some primitive wood armor might look cool, or some tribal tattoo's...might looking interesting on a non-human character.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
Nice work !
chris_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
kicksachi

Nice concept. But I would like to suggest to either give a small tail or a big body (Increased muscles).
kicksachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I'm actually not too into giving this guy big muscles... Big jacked guys are awesome, but pretty much everyone does really jacked guys... I kinda wanna make this guy more lithe and long... in fact, I may make him even thinner and longer than you see now. Thanks for the input! I'll be updating my almost-completed model tonight, and by the end of the weekend, the model will be finished and UVmapped.. then FINALLY I can try to make it look cool all ZBrushed and such.
Sample images I'll be working from:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/harryhxc/483406342/

Old 14-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
crasong
aspiring nooblet

why not add the red vein-like frills from the newt onto his neck, in front of his gills? xD i think it'll add more awesomeness if u can spare the polys when you're done tweaking
crasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #22
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Second-to-last update on the mesh... I'm nearly finished adding bits of his outfits, little doodads, etc. I'm definitely going for an aztec/tribal look with the clothing/jewelry, I added a knife, etc. Enjoy!
Crasong, I definitely considered it for a while, but those frills are external lungs, and since he's got gills, I figured I'd leave it be... also, the mesh looks quite raptor-like at the moment, which is cool, but once I start zbrushing/texturing, I don't want it to look too Jurassic parkish, since I intend to bring it in a somewhat different direction. Thx for the input though!
Attached Images

Old 15-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #23
crasong
aspiring nooblet

Ohhhh i see, i never knew what they were for ._. in that case dont add em :O But i was gonna say that he is looking more like a dinosaur now than an eel.... im thinking maybe its the shape of the jaws, but you already know that, and thats good. cant wait for more updates. Sorry about the bad advice :P
Old 18-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Hey, my mesh has been completed, for some reason my print screen button is acting funky right now, but here are the UVs unwrapped (thank god for that!). I'm going to start posting ZBrush pics soon, so finally things on my thread will start getting exciting!
Attached Images

Old 18-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
this is looking super sexy.....that creepy, slimy, fish-monster sorta sexy.

I really love the look of the low res model....nice and clean...great form....great topology. Pretty spiffy work overall.

The only suggestion I could give (and its probably too late for it) is to avoid the 'raptor' look you mention and make him look more fishy, he needs more fins! Nothing says 'fishy' like some spiny, semi-transparent fins.

Anyway, great character so far.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
cracking stuff. I wish my meshes were as clean as yours.

I love that knife too - don't be tempted to get all final fantasy on the weapon or anything silly like that.

If there's something I would add it would be a bit more in the jewellery department - perhaps more dangly bits on the necklace and a few on his little arm bracelets.

perhaps a little crest would work nicely as well
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Okay, restarted my computer... I definitely went with a bit more jewelry and adornment, like you guys are saying... I don't think I'll put fins on him, in large part because in tweaking his base mesh I've been looking at geckos, newts and salamanders a lot, and he's less of a fish than ever... but you're absolutely right about the raptor thing, when I ZBrush him I'll try to take a bit of that away, even though raptors look mad cool.
As for jewelry, he has some ears and a quartz crystal and a claw hanging from his waist, some claws on his arm, some bone spikes through his lower gills (trying to make it seem like Aztec piercings, like through the nose), a spiked-adornement stuck in his chin, and a clam shell and laquered fish fins around his neck. Once I get to texturing, he'll have some tattoos as well, although I'm trying to figure out why he would have them, since he's completely blind!!
I hope you enjoy this pic, this is the final model (in theory), and tonight I start ZBrushing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Conejo Blanco; 18-03-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Old 18-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #28
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Crasong- Your suggestion was great, it wasn't "bad advice" at all, just a stylistic difference in direction. I welcome any feedback you can throw my way!
Old 18-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #29
crasong
aspiring nooblet

Haha thanks man! You being too kind hehe Well since we all know that you know that hes looking very raptor-ish, at least he is looking reptilian. Not quite sure what to say yet, im going to wait for you to make chagnes to his mesh before giving more thoughts. Cant wait!
Old 23-03-2008, 05:42 AM   #30
redonix76
3DT 4 Life

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I really love your design. You usage of items and trinkets is a great touch. He feels as if he really belongs to a real race of lizard like people. I hope to see more updates soon, I'm sure your zbrush work is gonna kick ass!

-Portfolio-
-DWV-
redonix76 is offline   Reply With Quote