>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The All New Speed Modelling Challenges

Old 26-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #31
Garner
modonuaght

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
Just a query; does this have to be internal or are external views welcome. don't know if I'll get a chance to compete but it was the first thing I thought of as a question. thought it might help people with entries.
Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #32
Trash

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
Righto. If you are model one object and duplicating or instancing it several times it will count into the modelling time, because these extra models will still need to be moved, textured etc etc.
that means if i create an object, like a tube within 10 minutes and instance/duplicate it for 9 times. and the time grow to 10 minutes *9 oder just only 20 minutes for duplicate and positioning?

i'm clueless...
Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
nah you create one object and when you're done with him, your time is still running while you instance/clone it around the scene (applying moving rotating etc to each of the clones/instances)
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #34
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garner View Post
Just a query; does this have to be internal or are external views welcome. don't know if I'll get a chance to compete but it was the first thing I thought of as a question. thought it might help people with entries.
Garner, I think external view of factory will be allowed as long as it's clear it's a factory, and so meets the "recognisable" req

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash View Post
that means if i create an object, like a tube within 10 minutes and instance/duplicate it for 9 times. and the time grow to 10 minutes *9 oder just only 20 minutes for duplicate and positioning?

i'm clueless...
If you create your tube within 10 minutes, and duplicate it 9 times, and the time taken to duplicate (+position) the new tubes takes another 10 minutes... then the total modelling time so far = 20min.

CG was saying that any modelling/duplicating/positioning within the 3d package should be within the 90min. That said, after the 90 min (as long as you have your wire render, and clay render of what you've done in the 90 min), you can include a beauty render which has additional objects rendered out of time, which might complement your main subject.

The compositing time is meant for when you take your renders and edit them in photoshop or similar package. In here, you might cut around an object (a portion of the 2D render) and copy it across the 2D canvas; this is not included in modelling time, and so long as you meet the deadline, and have a clay and wire of what you've modelled, then your entry is valid (if it meets the subject and is recognisable as meeting the subject)

Last edited by timberwo7ves; 26-04-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Answering Garner's query without double posting
timberwo7ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Great timberwo7ves! For Thanks for2:
ClassicGamer-3DT (26-04-2011), Trash (26-04-2011)
Old 26-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #35
Trash

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
my brain goes really slow at time... the weather is to good for working and the sun is burning to hot for me . thanks for explain it in mathematics
Old 26-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #36
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash View Post
the weather is to good for working
yes. yes it is roll on, 4pm!

I'm hoping to get started on my entry before class tonight
Old 26-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #37
Trash

Awards Showcase
ok, i'd some ideas and a full sketchbook about factories, but something takes to much time to complete it. And so, I decide for such a simple thing (after the post with duplicates etc.)

Cloning Factory - perhaps it look more than a laboratory (and full of clones^^)

in the claypic - i've cleared one column to see the clone inside
Attached Images

Old 26-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #38
dantrodgers

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
cool entries so far, especially like CG's starter, and the matrix one.

got about 4 ideas for this one.. which one(s) to choose...........
Old 26-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #39
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
I've been working on another entry...... I suppose i've cheated slightly as I've already modelled the machine before so I knew what to expect when modelling it from scratch again. But i've really enjoyed modelling it all over again and it's a faithfull representation to the original. I've made mine into a factory machine toy....... more to come later when i've finished rendering.

Some of you might recognise it if you loved your 80's animated shows.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #40
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
modo | 90min. would have like to add more stuff to the stairs etc.. but anyhow.

looking forward to u're next entry CG !
Attached Images

Old 26-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #41
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
oh I like that one very much, excellent clean modelling
Twitter
GreatClassicGamer-3DT! Thank you:
bgen (26-04-2011)
Old 26-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #42
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
oh I like that one very much, excellent clean modelling
cheers, beauty will follow.
Old 26-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #43
Vitrux
Victoria Passariello

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I Got the second place on Speed Challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
AH! come on guys! im talking about the modeling time, to late i think but it is what a think.

My boss tells me: Vitrux, i need a factory now, the client comes in one hour. So i start to model my factory.
In one hour my boss comes to me and tells me: Ok Vitrux give me your flashdrive the client is here.
Everything Ive got in my max file until that moment is what the client is going to see, finished or not, duplicated or not, moved or not...
Of course, here in SMC we have the chance to make a good clay render. But everything youve got in your max file in one hour is what is taken into account in the modeling time.
Vitrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #44
Vitrux
Victoria Passariello

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I Got the second place on Speed Challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
BGEN, like too much your entry
Vitrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #45
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitrux View Post
AH! come on guys! im talking about the modeling time, to late i think but it is what a think.

My boss tells me: Vitrux, i need a factory now, the client comes in one hour. So i start to model my factory.
In one hour my boss comes to me and tells me: Ok Vitrux give me your flashdrive the client is here.
Everything Ive got in my max file until that moment is what the client is going to see, finished or not, duplicated or not, moved or not...
Of course, here in SMC we have the chance to make a good clay render. But everything youve got in your max file in one hour is what is taken into account in the modeling time.
Been there and done it, I can speak from a real world client that asked for something done in an hour, I only had a clay render and the physical model done, no textures, no beauty shots nothing. But the model was looking fairly decent, the client was happy and understood the time and effort needed in order to create the finished piece. From that day it took 2 weeks to final design.

When a boss or client asks "Can you model a factory in an hour" It 99.9% of the time NEVER means the finished article, both boss and clientel know (and if they don't they ****** well should) that you cannot have a finished product in that time.

All they want is a basic representation which is usually a pre-requisite to getting the job in the first place, then if the man from Del Monte says yet you can go on from there
Twitter