>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > BlizzardFest Challenge

Old 15-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Hupie

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
Hupie - Ice Cave Ruin - 3D Environment

Hey there!

after a long time not working on my game art skills I quite missed it but now im back in the real time world!

My plan is to make an Ice Cave with a lost ruin inside it. I was mainly inspired by this picture:

http://www.hdwpapers.com/walls/ice_c...per-normal.jpg

I will be using UDK and i also plan to do a lot of zbrush action. Furthermore i want to experiment with UDK materials to make a nice snow/ice shader. All in all, i hope this will be a great learning experience for me.

Below is my first blockout and vray render. I want to further develop the mood/lighting and composition and then ill dive into ice sculpting .

Hupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Hupie

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Change of plans. Rather then seeing this as a project i need to finish i think i will use this as an opportunity to experiment and try out things. First thing i wanted to try is to recreate a melting ice cave like this:

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads...6/ice-cave.jpg

So i first created tiling 3d geometry in zbrush and rendered out the different maps in 2.5d. Although the maps are low quality and don't look good, at least i finally learned a proper workflow thanks to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04k4Cz8UBo

See picture below for my result so far. It's far from visually pleasing but i'm going to keep experimenting and playing around.
Attached Images

Old 27-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Hupie

Awards Showcase
After some tries i finally got some decent result with the ice material. I used 3ds max built in cellular map to create a heightmap. I made it tilable within Photoshop (would love to create tileable cellular maps from the start but i havent found this out yet) and then i played with the liquify filter to make it more organic. Then i imported the heightmap in zbrush to get some nice textures using different zbrush materials in 2.5d.

Im now trying to make the UDK skydome overbright but unfortunately havent succeeded yet. I tried to boost the sky multiplier but to no effect. I guess i have to dive a bit more into UDK again.

Old 17-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Hupie

Awards Showcase
Haven't produced as much as i initally wanted but i did learn a lot about tilable textures workflows with zbrush thanks to the bradhb3d videos and the eat3d video tutorial about tileable textures and hopefully now i can be a bit more productive.

Here's one of my first tries:

But fortunately my last try came out quite a bit better:

Old 21-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Hupie

Awards Showcase
New try at a tileable texture. Didnt come anywhere close my reference so it's a bit of a random texture. Better luck next time

Tags
ice cave udk hupie ruin