>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 14-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Makin a Tut for 3DT DWV entrants.

If anyone has some ideas or requests as to what will be most useful, Ie, Baking out hard surface to low poly or Hard Surface techniques I'm all ears, I will make it over the next couple of weeks.

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Robbert543
Mental Raytard

Send a message via MSN to Robbert543
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge 
Total Awards: 3
Well.. erhm.. baking out hard surface to low poly is what I need....

plus..
I love you.
Old 14-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Why not do both in one?

I want some more tips on modeling details on curved surfaces and after that you can show how to bake all the modeled sweetness into the low-poly?
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Yeh alright.
Got any ideas for whats curvy enough for you?

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
i have a request, something ive been wanting to try and would like to see how people approach it. Texturing baking from the high poly to the low poly. Things like complicated shaders baked into a texture using the render to texture feature. Mainly on hardsurface stuff. Not so much a character head. Although, i also wonder if its possible to use Render to Texture to bake a SS shader into a the diffuse. And maybe even the specular.

These maps of course, will just serve as a base to keep tweaking inside of photoshop. But it is something that i would be interested in seeing. Specially the part of creating the shaders themselves for the high poly geometry.
Old 15-10-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Isn't baking out high to low poly kind of a waste? Anyone can show you that and there are tons of tutorials. What about something more personal like how you go about creating textures or shaders (love your texture work) or some overall process on your work flow.
Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
i wouldnt call it a waste. i just wanna see what people think about it. And how to approach it. I will say tho, that my original question is kinda pointless as i use layer styles to texture quicker. However, i recently saw The Gnomon Workshop - Hard Surface Shading and Texturing. And the stuff he talked about was pretty amazing. Gave me some ideas im still not sure i wanna head that way as i already have a good workflow stablished. But it was still pretty badass.

Although, if someone is willing to make a tutorial for dom war it should mainly focus on the low poly and textures.
Old 15-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
I'll just take anything I can get my hands on... as far as tutorials go.
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
A claw hammer head or anything with an awkward junction like that and surfaces that go from angular to smooth.

Front fender for a car (wing if you're english - the bit with the wheel arch cut out of it) with thickness and mounting brackets. Basically a formed sheet with brackets, nicely filleted edges and so on

also a fuzzy sack

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
i wouldnt call it a waste. i just wanna see what people think about it. And how to approach it. I will say tho, that my original question is kinda pointless as i use layer styles to texture quicker. However, i recently saw The Gnomon Workshop - Hard Surface Shading and Texturing. And the stuff he talked about was pretty amazing. Gave me some ideas im still not sure i wanna head that way as i already have a good workflow stablished. But it was still pretty badass.

Although, if someone is willing to make a tutorial for dom war it should mainly focus on the low poly and textures.
That does sound cool actually you were asking for something different than what I was talking about.
Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
thefmilyofblood
Threadjacker

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
also a fuzzy sack
Make it extra fuzzy.

Fight in the Dominance war!
thefmilyofblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathe View Post
Yeh alright.
Got any ideas for whats curvy enough for you?
Something like this is fine.

Nah but I don't know, maybe like details for the armor like this?

Or maybe even for something like your Mauro model
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Stuff like this...

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread...165#post817165

Old 17-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
I would like to know how one would go about making an AO map in Max.

I know there are a few tuts out there for this, but they never work for me. I always get splotches in mine, which then leads me to xNormal to get it done, but it never comes out the way I see others looking.

If anyone can shead light on this subject, that would be nice. A good AO map can take a texture to the next level. But remember, you can polish a teard all day long, in the end, it's still crap.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
splotchy sounds like not enough samples - turn it up (128 usually does ok on a 1024x1024 image)

keep the range low too.