>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 13-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #61
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
CHAO5: Well done, keep it up!

Scottleroc: That looks very good! The pose is brilliant as well.

KREFT: Great muscle definition. The eyes seem a bit too flat to me, though.

mrpeculiar: No toes = part of the challenge. You did a great job dealing with it, though.

I extend a huge welcome to newcomers to the challenge and to Threedy!

lo2op: Welcome! That's an interesting pose, are you going to make him fly?

Maverick84: You don't need to register officialy for the contest. Just read all the rules, and keep posting your work in progress here. There will soon be a Final Submissions thread for this challenge, where you will submit your final work to be voted by the community.

califfguzman: Looking forward to your entry.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #62
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
Here's about 1 and a half hours progress.
I've opted to try and make an eastern style legless dragon.
Thanks to mrperculiar on the hints on getting rid of the legs.
I still have some work on the remaining legs mesh to hide it totally.
Spent a great deal of my time so far just amputating them damn legs & wings!!

Not sure if I'll keep going with this guy as I've subdivided him so much my computer's about to have a hemorrhage.

Great posts so far!!!
Attached Images

gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #63
CHAO5

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
CHAO5: Well done, keep it up!
thx... i hope i find some time today for more details.
Old 13-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #64
mrpeculiar

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge 009 Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: Won on Speed Animation challanges ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band' Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  
Total Awards: 7
Ok .....little over 7 hours and im calling this one done....
Not the final pose and i also noticed after posing this some areas deformed a bit ....but those i will fix in the final.
Ill see how i go with the remaining hour for the base .........

Gumby .......i do see the little areas were your feet/wings were ......what i had to do was ....raise the sub D ....flatten /smooth .....then lower the sub D .....flatten/ smooth and repeat that process about 10 or more times to get it looking smooth at the high sub D level ....
My mesh sits at 5.488 million polys now .......

Ok .......to some pics
Attached Images

mrpeculiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #65
CHAO5

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 5
mrpeculiar wow real nice update
Old 13-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #66
Dunric

Send a message via ICQ to Dunric Send a message via AIM to Dunric Send a message via MSN to Dunric
Hey guys ! I think I'm in this one . But tell me please , can we sculpt additional box into whatever we want , or is it just for podium ?

Last edited by Dunric; 13-05-2009 at 03:38 PM..
Dunric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #67
califfguzman
Illustrator/Motion Artist

Talking Grrrr

1hr45mins so far
Dragon + Pedestal

mrpeculiar: Sick 2nd Dragon!
Attached Images

califfguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #68
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
cheers mrperculiar I've decided to can my work in progress and start fresh.

Wasn't really what I was aiming for and I'm gunna make one with legs as I found a reference pic of the dragon I was thinking of and it has legs. As attached below.

I also second CHAO5's WOW!
Awesome sculpt!!
Attached Images

gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #69
Teyon
Incredi-Boy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I may have some time this weekend to do an entry. Curious if the no-altering mesh thing applies to setting up groups? It makes for an easier sculpting experience but doesn't require actually changing any geometry. Is that allowed this go around?
Teyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #70
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Gumby: I'm glad you found that reference for the asian dragon, it's going to be much easier on you.

mrpeculiar: Congrats on a job well done! That's definetely the Horntail we were hoping for.

Dunric: The box is for a podium/pedestal/terrain/object for the dragon to interact with. But what were you thinking of doing with it?

califfguzman: That's looking sweet so far! I love how the tail goes around the rock and the dragon looks like it's protecting its territorry from tresspassers.

Teyon: Great to see you around the Sculpting Challenge! Please tell me more about setting up groups.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #71
Teyon
Incredi-Boy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Nice to be back in here again! It's been awhile.

Well, for the group setup, you'd just select faces and assign them to a group name. Then, in ZBrush, since the object has been grouped, you can hide areas you're not working on by holding down the CTRL and SHIFT keys and then clicking on the object in the area you want to work on. Basically, it's just an easier way of hiding parts of the mesh. Most modeling apps have a way of doing this - ZBrush included (that's what polygroups are for in ZBrush).

So, the actual geometry doesn't change at all, poly counts and vertex order are the same, they just have been assigned to a particular group name the same way you'd assign them to a material.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #72
TomorowsMemory

Send a message via AIM to TomorowsMemory
Question on your workflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeculiar View Post
Ok .....little over 7 hours and im calling this one done....
Not the final pose and i also noticed after posing this some areas deformed a bit ....but those i will fix in the final.
Ill see how i go with the remaining hour for the base .........

Gumby .......i do see the little areas were your feet/wings were ......what i had to do was ....raise the sub D ....flatten /smooth .....then lower the sub D .....flatten/ smooth and repeat that process about 10 or more times to get it looking smooth at the high sub D level ....
My mesh sits at 5.488 million polys now .......

Ok .......to some pics
Why do you choose to go to the highest subD and work down with the flatten brush? I am wondering why you didn't go from low to high rez? It seems faster to work with the masses down to the fine details. Is there a particular reason you work from hi-rez to low-rez? Thanks and amazing work!
TomorowsMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #73
Teyon
Incredi-Boy

Awards Showcase
Oh hey! Added benefit that I didn't know about until just now - local subdivision inside ZBrush. So if you create polygroups in ZBrush (or group the object and bring it into ZBrush) you can hide the body parts based on what you want to work with, right? Well, you can also do local subdivision on the visible parts, allowing for increased detail only in parts that need it. I'd never used them that way before, I've only ever used them as a means to hide stuff. It's pretty cool and very handy in situations like this. Something to consider. I don't know how Mudbox handles groups or if it even recognizes groups but I thought I'd put it out there as a request...
Old 13-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #74
Dunric

Send a message via ICQ to Dunric Send a message via AIM to Dunric Send a message via MSN to Dunric
Freespace-3DT
I actually thought about second head .
Dunric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #75
mrpeculiar

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge 009 Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: Won on Speed Animation challanges ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band' Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  
Total Awards: 7
Sorry about that .......my description was a bit wrong ......i do start at the lowest sub D ....then go higher ......then go lower again ....and so on

Sorry for the confusion ......and thanks everyone for the wonderfull comments ......i had a ball sculpting that thing.

Im now trying to retopo it for personal use ...........i really hate retopo ........especialy with big horns and such .....
Anyone feel like retoping this guy for me
mrpeculiar is offline   Reply With Quote