>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Game Art

Old 13-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
goast - Steampunk - Moriarty

I'll throw my hat in.

Concept...WIP.
Attached Images

Old 13-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
TerraBite
Master In Training

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
The concept looks nice! but I'd try something a little more original.

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=72704

So many people have used this steam-powered gauntlet idea already for the challenge, plus this guy has gear tattoos like yours already :P I'd try and pull a few more concepts out, otherwise you'll be having a lot more competition than you'd like. Looks like you got the skill to concept easily
TerraBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
TerraBite - Thanks. Original...ha, this is steampunk. I doubt there will be much of anything in this comp that will be "original". Every concept I can think of has been beaten to death in every sense of the word.

Don't take that the wrong way, I love the comment and you make a good arguement about the tattoos and the gauntlet, but neither of those ideas are original for either of us. I actually didn't notice either of those elements in his (Appr_oved's) design until you pointed them out to me.

If you (or anyone else) can think of an original idea with SteamPunk by all means let me know...I for one, cannot.

For the contest I want the competition. I enjoy it actually. But for the contest I am going for functionality and technique rather than having an original idea. It isn't really what I want to get out of this as a whole.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love the comment and you have valid points on all accounts, so thank you.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
TerraBite
Master In Training

Awards Showcase
Just looking out Can't wait to see you model! ^^
TerraBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
ChaosDragonDZ
eager to learn

Send a message via AIM to ChaosDragonDZ
hey man I like your character and the concept came out nice too. maybe give him a gauntlet on each arm? haha. anyways, lookin' forward to seeing more.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
armians
wannabe artist

it's almost like a steampunk hellboy XD anyway, i think the concept looks quite strong, would really love to see it in 3d x]
armians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Martin_x

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge ''Army of One'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 5
Nice concept! Face reminds me of Jonah Jameson for some reason

Last edited by Martin_x; 13-01-2010 at 11:28 PM..
Martin_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
TerraBite - Thanks. Me too!

ChaosDragonDZ - I actually wasn't thinking gauntlet at first, I just drew his hand too big as was too lazy to fix it, so I just made it metal and said he's wearing a glove now . I was also thinking about two of them, but I think the single will help to break the symmetry.

armians - kinda Thanks about the concept. I can't wait to see him in 3d either.

Martin_x - Thanks. I was actually thinking about P.H. Moriarty when I was drawing his face. Do an IMDB search, you'll find him (or just think about Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels).

-------------------
Ping.
Nothing much, just worked up a quick body to start making piece for. Also made a quick head and did a retopo on it so I have some good topo to work for when I do his actual head. More tomorrow.
---
vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfle_yWslx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_OGi2ywPU
Attached Images

Last edited by goast666; 14-01-2010 at 01:47 AM..
goast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 03:35 AM   #9
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
the head is just a place holder right, it's look abit big. But the rest is looking great.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
Toe - Thanks.

Started on the clothes...gotta move.
Attached Images

Old 21-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #11
InTheClue

Looks a bit plain.

Keep on truckin.
InTheClue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #12
thefatninja

Pants and head look sweet but where are the pockets?
thefatninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
I demand updates !

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #14
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
InTheClue - ... thanks ...

thefatninja - Bah...who needs pockets!!! Those come later. I have to make an alpha for the stitching/seams on the clothing. the pockets and whatnot will come in then. Right now it's all about form. :P Where is your grabbing hand :P
Old 21-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #15
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
poopipe - LOL! Updated today :P so :P