>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 08-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Challenge #4: Summer to Winter

Hello!

Time for our forth challenge. And the theme is.........tananananna *drums*
  • Summer to Winter

What do you have to do:

We will give you a very cool raw image (see bellow) and you will have to turn it into a winter scene, respecting the following requirements:

- You can ONLY use the image we provide you as base.

- You cannot make changes to the main architecture and position of the elements (lake, trees etc)

Other than that....have fun and be creative!

Here's the Hi-Res Raw Image (courtesy of sxc.hu )

Deadline: 15th February 2008

Important: The winners will get the opportunity to publish on-site and in the magazine a making of article (if they want to). Considering this, please keep wips if you intend to create such an article.

Judges: Starting with this month we changed the judging team. There will be only 2-3 guys judging your images: me (muahahahahah ) and 1-2 special guest(s) from the matte painting community. This month the judging board is formed by:

- Tiberius Viris
- Alex Popescu (aksu)

Have fun!

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 08-01-2008 at 04:11 PM..
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Thanks Suirebit for the update!

This is a fun challenge and despite my extremelly busy schedule... I might try to do this (like set aside 1-2 days work HAHA)!

Looking at the instructions above, I presume I can extend the plate a little bit?

Thanks again

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
rewound

Hello!
I'm joining the competition! A question: Is it ok to replace the trees, with trees without leaves? or do we have to paint on the existing trees?
Daniel

Last edited by rewound; 08-01-2008 at 11:17 PM..
rewound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:27 AM   #4
Androgs
Digital Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
this one sounds cool..i'm in..
Androgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Ilkejav mk5
Marquis of Montréal.

Send a message via MSN to Ilkejav mk5
does "nuclear winter" qualify in this case?
Ilkejav mk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Oltskul
How you can fight?

Send a message via ICQ to Oltskul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I´d like to be in, but I have to work into school..

http://www.oltskul.com
Oltskul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
LuneCheetah

hello, im new here!! i did a matte painting for the contest, but where does i send it? thanks a lot!!
LuneCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
Androgs
Digital Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuneCheetah View Post
hello, im new here!! i did a matte painting for the contest, but where does i send it? thanks a lot!!
you meant..already finished or still a WIP?
there's still no thread for the finished one..but if it still goes wip..than you can post it here
http://forums.3dtotal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Last edited by Androgs; 10-01-2008 at 08:33 AM..
Androgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
eyecon yes you may extend the plate.

Ilkejav no

LuneCheetah please post in the WIP forum for now
Old 11-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
LuneCheetah

Talking

hello!! i have a question (hope is the last one!!) can we use another photos to create the matte painting? or we can only use the raw image?

thanks!! ill post my WIP asap
LuneCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
PerkExpert

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winning the  
Total Awards: 1
Lets see if i can enter, looks like an awesome challenge: Reflections, Trees, tricky architecture, water, and a nice sunny sky. Lets see what we can do!!!

Last edited by PerkExpert; 11-01-2008 at 04:05 PM..
PerkExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuneCheetah View Post
hello!! i have a question (hope is the last one!!) can we use another photos to create the matte painting? or we can only use the raw image?

thanks!! ill post my WIP asap
you can only use the one we provided but you can use other photos to enhance certain elements (such as trees) as long as you don't alter their position and scale.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:18 AM   #13
georgenz

Can we remove elements such as the people or anything that might be dynamic in the scene?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Nocturn8
Ssssshhh!

Send a message via Yahoo to Nocturn8
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Matte Painting Second Place - Underwater Ruins Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: inner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge ''SMC 68 A place to hide:'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the New SMC's - 028 - Music to your ea Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge 'Weight for it.'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb green?'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 12
Wow, this is another fantastic challenge... too bad, I might not be able to join, just got myself into another competition in the forums. Wishing you guys a good luck and I am encouraging everyone to participate as we could learn a lot from this competition. I Hope I can find time later this month to join this one..

Last edited by Nocturn8; 12-01-2008 at 11:08 AM..
Nocturn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgenz View Post
Can we remove elements such as the people or anything that might be dynamic in the scene?
yes