>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > The Game Art Challenge

Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Lightbulb Comp #6 Final Entry's

I'm going to need everyone who wants to show off there final images to do so in here.

Dead Line Friday July 7th 11:00 pm your time.

First things first. In the work in progress thread, I will need your texture sheets, wire frames and polycount. You can even post a few of your final images in there too.

Then when that is all done. Post at least 3 no more than 5 final images of your environment in here. Make sure there is a link to your work in progress post with all the textures and what not.

One post per person, if you can't get all 3-5 images in one post, use photobucket or something like that.

Voting will be as follows:

First Place:
Textures (0-10)
Models (0 -10)
Concept/Idea (0-10)

Second Place:
Textures (0-10)
Models (0 -10)
Concept/Idea (0-10)

Third Place:
Textures (0-10)
Models (0 -10)
Concept/Idea (0-10)

Give reasons for why you gave the points that you did. If you don't give a reason, don't bother voting.

Voting Starts Saturday.
Now get busy.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day

Last edited by BiG ToE-3DT; 25-07-2006 at 11:49 PM..
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
d2king10

TRIAL ISLAND

HUGE IMAGE OF ISLAND

WIP POST HERE

Good luck to everyone! =)
d2king10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
andrei313

The Lighthouse

Here it is:

I just had to put it in a frame... it looks like a painting to me

WIP: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.p...&postcount=270
andrei313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
augman

Room 03
by augman (3dsmax 6)

Home of the Waterhog, Room 03: Treatment Maintenance has had better days. Through the sewer system, the Waterhog found its way into this fully-operational water treatment plant. However, after eating its fill of curious workers, it's too big to go home and the water level is too low to swim out. To pass time, it destroys everything it can around it. When Super McHero steps in, however, he navigates around the rubble, up the only intact ladder, and into the control room. There, he drains the reservoir and thus kills the problematic beast.

PICTURES:

Link to other thread

Good luck!
augman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Work In Progress:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread...667#post475667

Final Images:

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 07-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
OROCHI
Better than nothing...

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 1
ANGELS SANCTUARY

Made with Softimage XSI 5.0 -
25335 tris -
rendered in real time Open GL -

Textures samples and wireframe can be found here: CLICK ME

Last edited by OROCHI; 07-07-2006 at 07:03 PM..
OROCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Times Up. You all can Start Voting Now.

Voting will end Sunday 11:00 pm (LONDON).

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
augman

First Place: d2king10's Trial Island
(25/30)
Textures (8/10): I think the textures were very effective in your viewport shots, but not as expressive as in your renders. There aren't any areas that could use a higher resolution and there's still a lot of room. The only thing I could really critique is that renders didn't show off the textures well, even though you did a good job.

Models (9/10): Overall, you did a really good job here. There's a really nice blend of organic and inorganic modeling (plants, fauna, stone, AND ground, all integrated well), and the tribal stone areas really bring that modeling to life. However, some areas might have benefitted from a higher polycount, which you had the resources to do. For example, you can see the polygons very visibly in the base of the pillar. Also, from the texture, I can see that the smaller pillars have 3 sections to them. Maybe you could have made small indentations in the modeling where each section begins. But these are nitpicky things.

Concept/Idea (8/10): You do a good job capturing a powerful essence. I can really imagine this being an endboss environment. I can tell that you thought a lot about the idea before you just jumped into the project. One thing that doesn't sit well with me is that there wouldn't be much room to fight in this environment with all the stuff going on and getting in the way.

Second Place: OROCHI's Angels Sanctuary
(24/30)

Textures (6/10): Your textures look good in the actual scene; they work fantastically (especially the angel statues against the pillars. Nice job!), but when we look at the actual texture sheets, there's a lot of room for improvement. The surrounding environment's texture just looks like you took a picture off of the internet and threw it onto your sheets without regard for how the UVs would treat it. And I realize that photographic texturing was allowed, but 90% of the texturing is done this way. Also, I can't find anywhere on your texture sheets where the floor's texture is. It just doesn't look like a texture sheet as much as it looks like a photo collection which could fit UVs if they so desired.

Models (8/10): Excellent job. The statues and the arches and everything on that side look really great. Your attention to detail on inorganic material is great (special mention goes to the flags that really look like they're flapping in the wind). However, the environment isn't as good as it could be. There are a lot of pointy spots where it's obvious the polycount is low. One last critique is that I think your texturing really did a lot of the modeling for you. For example, it looks like the statues in the back are just planes with selective opacity. Some more depth back there could have been helpful. Same thing goes for the front of the arch.

Concept/Idea (10/10): This makes a lot of sense, considering the idea of the competition. An endboss could live here, fight here, and anything else and it would make sense. Also, your connection of all the different elements (stone, marble, earth, clouds, fabric in the flags) work well. I can't think of anything you could have done better, so you get a 10 from me.

Third Place: andrei313's The Lighthouse
(20/25)
Texturing (8/10): There's really not much to complain about as far as your textures go. Everything fits really well together. There is one thing that irked me, though. The rock facing looks like PS1-era graphics, and the texture sheet for it look the same way. It occupies a lot of space on your texture sheets, but the image isn't clear. For something that will be a BIG part of your level, it needs to have a more definite texture. Otherwise, you do a good job of space management and it's impressive.

Modeling (8/10): For how rough you make the scene look, your modeling is very clean and impressive. I do have some critiques about your organic modeling, though. The grass is very flat. In the the thread, we discussed a few ways to make the grass look 3D by only sacrificing a few polygons (which you had more than enough of). Also, the placement of trees is a little weird: They're far away from each other and they're all the same size. Lastly, the top of the lighthouse could use some detail. These are small issues though. Your model is clean and very efficient.

Concept/Idea (4/10): This is where your scene doesn't work so well. This is supposed to be an area where an endboss or a superhero or someone powerful should live, and I don't really see much of that. I can see that there's a lot of room for people to fight or whatever, but aside from that, there's not much separating this scene from a peaceful, beauty-render scene. It just doesn't fit in with the competition as well as it could have. Your lighthouse looks really cool though. Very dramatic.

Good luck everyone!
I talk too much. Hehe.
augman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
d2king10

First Place: andrei313's The Lighthouse
(26)
Textures (9-10) LOVE the texture usage, it reminds me a lot of playstation graphics. However, i think the rock textures are a bit stretched. Overall good use of texturing!

Models (8 -10) Everything looks crisp and clean, and i love all the spirals and such, really makes a nice touch. However, some of the areas seem could have used some dirtying up or added detail. Such as the wood planks on the bridge or peir could have maybe be missing some boards or crooked. Also, on the bridge, you could have simply added an alpha map for the ropes on the side which are missing. I also think more foilage could have been tossed around to give the scene more life. Also the house (not the wooden sea side huts), seems out of place, maybe you should have added more houses around it?

Concept/Idea (9-10) I really like the concept and idea of this peice. I love how all the spirals and over arching bridges make for a very adventerous scene. Well done!

Second Place: OROCHI's ANGELS SANCTUARY
(24)
Textures (7-10) The reason textures are so low, is because i personaly dont like textures that are overly photographic. Everything feels like its a photo, but when you look at it again, it doesnt LOOK like a photo, so it seems the two elements are fighting eachother in the scene, which doesnt go good on the eyes imo. However, i must say you did have good use of textures in every area of the map. I think the landscape should have used a less blurred texture, but if thats all you could use to meet the req. then thats understandable. Also, the flags texture seems too bright and vivid to be in the scene.

Models (9 -10) All the models look great! I love the angelic statues that you have placed, and the lovely arcs that tower over the scene. The balcony is also nicely placed, great job!

Concept/Idea (8-10) I love the idea and concept of the whole scene. I could see myself walking in and fighting a deadly boss here. Great work! =)

Third Place: augman's Room 03
(22)
Textures (5-10) This is the only place that i saw you lacking in. Your textures seem to use A LOT of photoshop effects, which are good if they arent noticable, but in your scene its very obvious. The colors of the scene dont seem to 'fit'. I dont think ive ever seen a building that has orange walls and a big red bar to hold the wall up. I think this could have been looking great if you had put some kind of fading wallpaper that was peeling and damp where the water spots were. However, i must say that the water stains do look great on the wall.

Models (9 -10) This is what i loved about your scene! Your layout and modeling looked great! That was why i was so let down when i saw it textured, because i was really excited when i saw the untextured version! The whole dirtying of the building and the layout of the fallen beams look great! The attention to small details like the light switch was also a great addition!

Concept/Idea (8-10) While i have seen several office buildings in games, i think that this might not be the most original idea, however i think it works! I think you had a great layout and modeling, that was only let down by the textures! But overall, this was a great scene! I could see myself running through the halls blasting an assult rifle at an enemy! =)

BiG ToE-3DT's critique:
(21)
Textures (8-10) I felt that your textures looked crispt and clean, however some things stuck out like a sore thumb to me. The red arrow on the wall doesnt look painted on, it looks more like a bit plastic sign. Another area that had me questioning, was the metal railing on the stairs...they seem to have no textures on them, which REALLY stuck out. Infact, a lot of the metal pipes and such scattered about seem to be the same. However, the wall textures were very lovely!

Models (7-10) I love the overall modeling of the scene, however what had me giving it an 8 was the fact that it didnt seem to be up to the ammount as every other person who entered this comp. The scene was VERY small, which was kind of a let down to me, because i really wanted to see what you had been working on.

Concept/Ideas (6-10) Like i said in the last one, the concept doesnt seem very thought up, its just a set of stairs, i would have liked to see something more monsterous and towering rather then some everyday stairs.

Overall guys, i think everyone did a great job, and i had a tough time ranking everyones. Wish you all luck! =)

Last edited by d2king10; 08-07-2006 at 08:42 PM..
d2king10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
andrei313

Man... I don't like the voteing part of this But I want to say what I think about the entrys... So here goes:

First Place: d2king10's Trial Island (28)
Textures (9/10) Nice use of textures. Some of them could use some more work but your final render looks very nice. You have a lot of colors there (reg/green/blue) and that makes the scene... cute
Models (9/10) I love the attention to the detail. The bridge is the best part of this if I'm talking about modeling... And I gave you a 9 because I don't like the tower. It is kind of long and repetitiv but I guess it goes well with the bottom of the island... that almost looks like a radish... I like that
Concept/Idea (10/10) The portal idea is awsome. It makes the scene look in its place. When I see it I think of a place far away where the boss is waiting for some brave hero to find the way to the portal and challange him. Wll done!

The second place was very hard to decide...
Second Place: OROCHI (26)
Textures: (8/10): What is a 166x843 texture ? This just can't go in a game... should be a power of two. But this is not the reason I gave you an 8. There is too much stone in there... I can't understand anything And somehow the fact that the textures don't have shadows on them it hides the model. In the first pic you posted the buildings look like they have just 4tris and a very big texture on them. Nice use of texture space... bad use of textures.
Models (10/10): Buildings and statues... very well made. I don't think I have something elso but good things to say about the modeling... To bad I couldn't see the detail in the render . Good job!
Concept/Idea (8/10): This is also kind of boring. The two statues make the scene look very nice but I don't see the point of the buildings. It would have been very cool if you did an arena.. like the one where gladiators used to fight in Rome.. ore something like that... Now it is a street block with a round thing in front of it.

The third place was hard to decide too...
Third Place: BiG ToE-3DT (25)
Textures (9/10): The textures look very good but if this is sopose to be for a game it should be a tileable texture. So I did't gave you a 9 not because of the way the textures look but because of the use of texture space... imho I think that this is as important as the quality And another thing would be the textures for the door and the stairs... you got bored and left them unfinished :-P
Models (10/10): There is not much going on there but everything is modeled with attention and patience.
Concept/Idea (6/10): Sorry about this... but your concept doesn't say anything to me. It doesen't have personality. Maybe if this would have been for a game with a plumber... I don't know I get it... it is a peace of the environment... but it is a boring one.

Last edited by andrei313; 10-07-2006 at 09:58 AM..
andrei313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
First Place: d2king10's Trial Island (28)
Textures (9/10) Nice use of textures.
Models (9/10) I love the attention to the detail.
Concept/Idea (10/10) The portal idea is awsome. Wll done!

The second place was very hard to decide...
Third Place: OROCHI (23)
Textures: (8/10): I think the textures could have been better but still looks cool.
Models (7/10): Buildings and statues... very well made. Good job! But um the environment is still a lil boring. Needs more.
Concept/Idea (8/10): I think the statues deffinately over power your scene.

The third place was hard to decide too...
Second Place: BiG ToE-3DT (20)
Textures (7/10): good textures, but unfinished
Models (7/10): good modeling, I wanted to see more though
Concept/Idea (6/10): could have been better

Last edited by Agent-X; 09-07-2006 at 01:52 AM..
Agent-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
First Place: andrei313 24 points

Textures: (9) I like the textures a lot, but you only used a fraction of the texture space. All the textures could have that much more crisper if you would have upped the sizes of a few of the major parts. Also, it would have been nice to see a few more renders. The screen grabs are nice, they get the point across, but they donít do your hard work any justice.

Model: (8) You flew right through the modeling process. I understand you had other comps that you where trying to take care of at the same time, but maybe if you where to cut your time in half, two weeks for this, two weeks for the other, you could have focused just on this, and maybe there would have been something more going on. Donít get me wrong; your models are nice, but simple. All the areas you put detail in are small and you donít have any real up close renders.

Concept/Idea: (7) You started out with a great idea, which is why your model looks the way it does. Then half way threw you changed the concept, but left the model the same. Seems to me like when the idea changed, the model should have too.

Second Place: OROCHI 22 points

Textures: (8) The rules never said anything about using or not using photos to help with the textures, but in my opinion, itís harder to create a texture from scratch. But then the use of photos was used well.

Model: (7) Good use of polyís, in the beginning you started off crazy, but was able to pull it together. Now, with all thatís going on and all the detail, your scene still seems empty. Do the angels hanging around outside, or do they do that inside. I only ask because there is nowhere to sit or lay down.

Concept/Idea: (7) The idea is good, but overall I think the environment feel short. I know itís your idea of and Angels Sanctuary, but I think you could have done more with it. For instance, when I think angels, I think heaven. That would be white clouds everywhere, and a feeling of happy/joy everywhere you look. Right now the way it is, I donít get that feeling. Maybe if the lighting was adjusted a bit.

Third Place: augman 20 points

Textures: (7) The overall texture scheme works well together, but at the same time, the textures look real simple. It would have been nice to see some dirt and grime collecting in the knocks and crannies. Even some water marks and rust in a few places.

Model: Model is nice. The little details are what make this good. But the zoomed out renders donít allow those details to be seen. Also a good use of polyís.

Concept/Idea: (6) At the start you said this was going to be a room occupied by some sort of monster, and that the room is dark and when people go in, they die. The renders donít show that. The room should be dark; the water should all be one level. Would have been nice to see a reflective texture on the water with a low-lighted room. Then have a small spot light that represents a flash light coming in from the side with itís light reflecting off the water, which would also help with the lighting.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 10-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
No more Voting, time to Add'em up.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 10-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #14
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
First Place: Orochi.

Second Place: d2King10.

Third Place: Andrei313.

Good job everyone. Now lets take a week off, then do it all over again.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #15
USED
Administrator

congrats to all that took place in this challenge. All of your works were outstanding as always!
Orochi, a well deserved win!

Tetra Tech.
email: jeremy.mastroianni at tetratech.com
web www.tetratech.com
USED is offline   Reply With Quote